Speed or Power?

Posted by: e34me

Speed or Power? - 06/29/05 05:54 AM

Ok, this is sorta wierd question...but whats better, speed, or power. In a way they are the same because it takes speed to make power, lol. But which is more essential? Speed is good because you can get more and power is better to deal damage....well?
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Speed or Power? - 06/29/05 06:31 AM

Quote:

In a way they are the same because it takes speed to make power, lol.

I think you've said it there - you need speed to produce power because Ke = (mv2)/2. However, don't forget that your velocity is squared, meaning the acceleration is far more important than the mass behind your punch. You need a reasonable amount of mass aswell, but the speed at which you use a technique will always have more of an impact on your power.

Re: Speed or Power? - 06/29/05 06:41 AM

GOSH! It took you forever to reply! lol. Usually get a post like within a minute. But yah, ok. BOTH, i get ya. What helps speed of the arms (I KNOW HTHIS IS PROBALY ALL OVER THE BOARD, BUT I AM UBER BORED AND WANNA WAIT FOR A POST) Sorry, lol. Would it be the bad? PUNCHING BAG?

Re: Speed or Power? - 06/29/05 06:51 AM

I would use a lighter punching bag for speed, not a heavy bag. The heavy bag I feel is only useful once you have good technique and speed already - it is more for practicing how to impact. Use a light bag, and just throw 30-50 punches as fast as you can with good technique.

You must have good technique or your speed gains will be illusory. Most of the work for speed is to train your neuromuscular system to react faster. You want the movement to be so natural to your brain, that your body does not need to think when it punches. This can only be gained through perfect technique over and over again.

Re: Speed or Power? - 06/29/05 06:54 AM

A light bag like the ones you hit and they bounce up and swing back you way? The ones about the size of my head? And if i start off slow, thats not bad is it? Because I will go a little bit and like sorta"studder" punch.

Re: Speed or Power? - 06/29/05 12:10 PM

Not Speedball light, just with less resistance than a heavy bag.

Re: Speed or Power? - 06/29/05 03:43 PM

Ok, thanks again guyz.
Posted by: Rock_fght

Re: Speed or Power? - 06/29/05 06:27 PM

2 words "speed kills"

the wight of the bag dosent matter its how you train that will produce your gains.
Posted by: STEIN_AUF

Re: Speed or Power? - 06/29/05 08:23 PM

I would have to go with the faster guy will allways beat the stronger guy. For ex. a body builder v.s. a guy who runs and trains and conditions daliy.... like that is a realy a hard question
Posted by: Cownose

Re: Speed or Power? - 06/29/05 08:56 PM

Stronger = faster. Do your squats. Enough said.
Posted by: kyokushinkai

Re: Speed or Power? - 06/29/05 11:29 PM

isn't power a combination of strength and speed?i'm just saying this because I've read some articles and I would have taken them in completely wrong if that is not the write definition so I will need to read them again.
Posted by: Rock_fght

Re: Speed or Power? - 06/30/05 12:32 PM

Quote:

Stronger = faster. Do your squats. Enough said.

thats kind of black & white dont you mean faster=stronger?

do bag work. enough said.

squats would onely make your kicks stronger not faster. what about bench and deadlift.
Posted by: Cownose

Re: Speed or Power? - 06/30/05 06:31 PM

Oh, so faster = stronger, but stronger doesn't = faster? Odd.

Yes, there is more to it than just "stronger = faster", and no, you shouldn't only do squats. I just like squats a lot, and if someone was only going to do one lift, I would make them do squats. They don't only improve the power of your kicks, trust me on that one.