Pulled or strained mucle in bicep area..

Posted by: SkInHoUnD

Pulled or strained mucle in bicep area.. - 06/14/05 09:03 AM

The other day I pulled something in my arm from arm wrestling my friend.It was an intense arm wrestle and I knew it must have been it that did it to me because I only work biceps once a week.Anyway that was saturday...yesterday when I went to do my curls I had this damm pain in my arm..kinda sharp and burning..sometimes painfull sometimes irritating and slightly painfull.Anyway Ive had this before...catching a heavy box off a truck before did it to both arms in the same area and that was very painfull.I had also done it once by curling too much weight before i was ready for it.So ive covered the area of what not to do to create this problem...what I want to know is exactly what it is..so at least ultimatly I can understand the problem better.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Pulled or strained mucle in bicep area.. - 06/14/05 10:18 AM

It is probably that you have torn an origin at the base of your muscle. Basicly your muscle is attached to tendons and bone via a number of points called Origins. When your arm is put under too much pressure while you are trying to contract your bicep - in other words stopping your friend from puching your arm down - the strain can cause the origin to tear, thus lots of discomfort when using your bicpes, since the stress is put through less points.

Best way to avoid it - don't pull to heavy weights, and be careful when you're arm wrestling. There's not really a way to completely avoid in though tbh.

Re: Pulled or strained mucle in bicep area.. - 06/14/05 10:56 AM

Yeah..Well its only as bad as it is today because I did my workout regarless.It flared up about an hour ago but now its good.Just hope it dosnt effect my benchpresses.
Posted by: Blindsided

Re: Pulled or strained mucle in bicep area.. - 06/14/05 04:08 PM

sprained my shoulder and havnt been able to work out for a month and a half so far.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Pulled or strained mucle in bicep area.. - 06/14/05 04:42 PM

Quote:

Yeah..Well its only as bad as it is today because I did my workout regarless.It flared up about an hour ago but now its good.Just hope it dosnt effect my benchpresses.

You sound like me. I have experienced similar pains as you have described it and have been able to work through it without any time off. Not saying this is good but it does say something to your determination.

After working out I would alternate heat and ice for 10 minutes each for about 1/2 hour. This helped. During my workout I'd feel some pains but I'd mask it with heat rub to get by. I'd then wrap my bicep/arm to give it support and to keep the heat in. Later I was able to buy an elbow strap with velcro that covered the forearm and bicep. Again not saying this is the right thing to do but stubbornly I wasn't going to give up as I was truely addicted ... and still am.

Always going through my mind is if I miss too many days I will loose everything I've worked hard for. This always kept me going even when I didn't want to work out. Self motivation I guess. Now that I am truely injured and haven't been able to work out for 3+ months due to a neck injury ... I'm doing little things as for sure I've lost strength and size. It's a downer but I'll be back.

Re: Pulled or strained mucle in bicep area.. - 06/15/05 09:07 AM

Yeah...but at least sometimes you can identify the injurys that you just shouldnt screw with.I think this problem is more a result of maximum stress put on my muscle when it just wasnt ready for it or warmed up at all. As for my neck..man when I sleep wrong and wake up with a kink in it i'm half a man, a freeking pussy as my girlfriend so kindly puts it. So for your determination I commend you.
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: Pulled or strained mucle in bicep area.. - 06/15/05 09:22 AM

Quote:

As for my neck..man when I sleep wrong and wake up with a kink in it i'm half a man.

I get those about once a year. The kind where you have to turn your whole body to look around, lol. I'm out for a week once it hits me.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Pulled or strained mucle in bicep area.. - 06/15/05 10:46 AM

It sounds like a tendon strain at the Insertion point of the biceps to me (origin is up in the shoulder joint).Arm wrestling places lateral strain on a hinge joint so the structural systems tend to struggle.You probably have a case of 'golfers elbow' (the opposite to tennis elbow) with the pain on the 'inside' of the bicep/forearm Training through the pain is not the sharpest thing you could have done but cest la vie, its done now.
You need to ice the area for 10-20 mins on 5-10 mins off, as continualy as possible for the next 48 hours. From here, start alternating heat and cold, with gentle stretching and mobility straight after the heat cycle. Do this for another 48-72 hours. Do no upper body work whilst doing this (yep, take the week off buddy), and I would recommend wearing tube-grip support during day to day activity during the this recovery stage.
When the pain subsides return to light upper body work, (compound movements only-no direct arm work) stopping before failure/fatigue.If you remain pain free, gradually return to natural intensity and volume of training, being mindfull to warm your elbow joints up thoroughly before each workout.
If you insist on arm wrestling, learn to controll your oponents wrist by articulation of their thumb in your grip, you wont need so much effort then
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Pulled or strained mucle in bicep area.. - 06/15/05 11:54 AM

Quote:

If you insist on arm wrestling, learn to controll your oponents wrist by articulation of their thumb in your grip, you wont need so much effort then.

Also don't try to push his arm down which far too many people do. Use your arm's natural range of motion and pull his arm towards you like you are doing a bicep curl. You'll have more strength and less stress on this area. Plus when his arm is extended he will have less strength to stop your from putting the smack down on his ass.
Posted by: Blindsided

Re: Pulled or strained mucle in bicep area.. - 06/16/05 12:18 AM

i read that eating lots of potassium from bananas/potatoes is really good for healing strains. Icy hot is supposed to be good too. Dont bother with the potassium pills they only have 3 percent potassium and bananas and potatoes have 23 and 27 percent

Re: Pulled or strained mucle in bicep area.. - 06/16/05 09:52 AM

Thanks for the great input guys!

Re: Pulled or strained mucle in bicep area.. - 06/30/05 10:17 AM

Just to follow up on this...its been 19 days..not great improvements.The pain in my bicep switched to primarily my tricep area. I can only agrivate this pain by doing a movement met by resistance mimicking an arm wrestle OR when I curl, at the point where my elbow bends I feel pain and discomfort running through that tricep area.(in around the back part of the arm that is really hard and bulbous)Dunno what to do, went to the docs and he said x-rays or physio shouldnt be nessicery and to tough it out, that was the 16th.Its so agrivating,...I was doing so well and was beating everyone left and right in arm wrestles now my muscle is deteriorating.The pain itself seems to be well inside the arm..and unless I had a sports doctor I dont think i'm ever going to know for sure what the problem is.Another great agrivation is almost every upper body exercise invloves the tricep to various degrees...so just because I hurt it doing one specific thing I cant do a whole spectrum of body building as a result.The lesson here? Dont get drunk and arm wrestle at weddings.
Posted by: knightcommander

Re: Pulled or strained mucle in bicep area.. - 06/30/05 10:40 AM

Quote:

The other day I pulled something in my arm from arm wrestling my friend.It was an intense arm wrestle and I knew it must have been it that did it to me because I only work biceps once a week.Anyway that was saturday...yesterday when I went to do my curls I had this damm pain in my arm..kinda sharp and burning..sometimes painfull sometimes irritating and slightly painfull.Anyway Ive had this before...catching a heavy box off a truck before did it to both arms in the same area and that was very painfull.I had also done it once by curling too much weight before i was ready for it.So ive covered the area of what not to do to create this problem...what I want to know is exactly what it is..so at least ultimatly I can understand the problem better.

Go see a doctor about it. He'll tell you exacltly whats wrong. Something a bit difficult to do on the otherside of the computer.

Re: Pulled or strained mucle in bicep area.. - 06/30/05 12:31 PM

Quote:

Dunno what to do, went to the docs and he said x-rays or physio shouldnt be nessicery and to tough it out, that was the 16th.

I did.
Posted by: knightcommander

Re: Pulled or strained mucle in bicep area.. - 06/30/05 12:35 PM

I recommend going back then, and saying it still troubling you. Find out exactly whats wrong, and give it rest.