The weak way??

Posted by: onetuffmomma

The weak way?? - 11/06/08 12:10 AM

Have you ever gotten out of a situation by lying. I feel like I took the weak way out. I just didn't feel that fighting was the way out. Today I had a man in my home repairing out gas furnace. Turned out to be an easy fix that took a few minutes. But he wouldn't leave. He ended up staying 45 minutes talking as I was trying to slowly work my way to the door with him. My two young kids were in the house playing. He kept getting closer - talking about his terrible temper. He kept asking where my husband worked and why we didn't have an alarm system. Talking about his wife and the things that drove him crazy that she does. I would back up and he would get close again. I finally ended up with my back against the closet door and he was close enough to hug me. The worst is that he kept rubbing his...uhh...family jewels. Finally I told him that my 300lb body building husband was on his way home for lunch and if I didn't have it fixed he would be very angry. He doesn't weight that much and he works out every now and again so it wasn't a total lie. The man was then ready to go. But he sat outside my home for 20 minutes just starring in the front window. My husband said I should have thrown him out but I didn't want to have to fight this strong man in front of my kids unless I had to. Now I feel like a liar and wimp but I still believe open hand open mind. Anyone done the same before?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: The weak way?? - 11/06/08 07:47 AM

The brain is the strongest weapon we have. Well done.
Posted by: clmibb

Re: The weak way?? - 11/06/08 09:54 AM

I always try to talk my way out of a situation before I resort to fighting my way out. I don't care if I tell flat out lies to a stranger, as long as it gets me out of a situation. Case in point, before I got married, guys would ask for my number. I'm a nice gal and didn't want to tell them that I wasn't interested so I'd give them the police non-emergency number. They got a phone number so they are happy, it wasn't mine so I'm happy.

The other steps I would have taken would have been to call his employer to let them know of his...uh...unprofessional behavior and to call the police to let them know the situation.

It's not taking the weak way out, it's taking the smart way out. Suppose he beat the bloody snot out of you, not only have your kids watched what happened, but now you can't defend them if he decided to go after them. Like Matt said: The brain is the strongest weapon we have.

Casey
Posted by: harlan

Re: The weak way?? - 11/06/08 10:00 AM

What do I think? I think you make some odd posts.

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post16017133

Here is a suggestion...if this really happened...call the company the guy works for and have his a** fired.
Posted by: duanew

Re: The weak way?? - 11/07/08 06:16 AM

I would agree with the others:
1. You did the smart thing when dealing with a larger aggressive attacker (that's what he was).
2. Call the police and report the assault-in my state it would be 5th Degree Sexual assault.
3. Call his employer and report it.
4. Watch your back because this guy has all the earmarks of a rapist, he now knows your house. His advances were nothing more than a "test" to see how you would react. Based on his perception of the test results he may decide to come back. Take whatever steps you need and can afford.
Posted by: onetuffmomma

Re: The weak way?? - 11/07/08 12:18 PM

Thank you everyone for all your advise.

Harlan...wow...sorry to sound as if I have nothing better to do than post lies. Here is proof of the other story I posted.

http://www.wspa.com/spa/news/local/article/paint_store_worker_charged_with_attacking_customer/10070

The link states that she was choked twice but actually it was four times per the victim - as we are friends. Anyway...

As for my current story my word is all I have...sorry. It was not my intention to offend anyone but to get good advise. Having read many of the posts on here before posting the first time I thought I had a good question. I wish these things hadn't happened. I have decided that smiling and being polite is not such a good idea. Guess being a little more aggressive like Harlan (no offence) may be a better idea. I have small kids that I stay home with. I wanted to call his employer but then thought about him coming back if he should get fired. I am just starting out in martial arts and in no way am I ready to take someone on. I am filing a police report. Thank you everyone for all the replies.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightend. -Tao Te Ching
Posted by: harlan

Re: The weak way?? - 11/07/08 12:34 PM

Glad you got the feedback you needed to take action.
Posted by: Ames

Re: The weak way?? - 11/07/08 02:25 PM

Considering everything, I think you did great.

Also, not to make you overly paranoid, I would be careful. This guy is exhibiting some signals that tell me he might be pretty messed up. Make sure your doors and windows are locked and file a police report. He sounds like he could be a stalker...or worse. Again, not to freak you out...

--Chris