The Fighting Arts Forum History

Posted by: Ed_Morris

The Fighting Arts Forum History - 01/15/08 10:40 AM

any forum veterans care to share for an interview-like thread?

we could start with fact-based and/or move to opinion if it suits people. I'll start it off, but anyone can assume the role of either doing the asking or sharing.

What year did this forum first go live?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: The Fighting Arts Forum History - 01/15/08 10:52 AM

I believe it was in 2000.

Re: The Fighting Arts Forum History - 01/15/08 11:04 AM

you going to make me ask every question, or is there more you'd like to voluntarily share?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: The Fighting Arts Forum History - 01/15/08 12:56 PM

Sorry, wasn't sure where you were going with this.

I know that Chris Caile had an active hand in the first year or so. He had some high-ranking martial artists on tap to help write articles and moderate the forum. Early on, MrVigerous took over administrating the forum, while CC concentrated on the article section. Some mods became idle, while others were added. Some new forums were also added under MrV, including Tournament, Krav Maga, and Kung Fu and Karate. The idle mods proved to be a problem at times, since the forum was frequently over-run by trolls. Sometimes, the trolls were hilarious with the cr4p they came up with. More often, it was spam or juvenile vulgarities that were not addressed until MrV was around.

MrV was active (for the most part) until the subway bombings in London (July 2005). We haven't really heard from him since. During that time, there was an outright takeover attempt by one of the most notorious trolls (including demands, LOL - he wanted his own section on the site). While a source of intrigue and occasional humor, it was also embarrassing that little could be done to stop the troll and his friends.

After some time, Oldman contacted CC to find out what could be done, since at that time only the admin really had any power to stop trolls, edit posts, etc. Oldman then took over the admin position. He started adding more mods, and also activated the "supermod" position, which gave the staff much better coverage in the admin's absence. He remained on until an ugly behind-the-scenes incident involving a phony grandmaster trying to hijack the forum for personal glory. The phony GM was tossed out after staff protested. Oldman was in a very difficult spot, and I understand why he wanted to get out at that point. It was not clear until a bit later what a phony the GM was.

He was recently an interim admin again, and since passed it on to the current admin, ZombieZero.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: The Fighting Arts Forum History - 01/15/08 02:51 PM

How many different styles/knowledge bases are represented by the moderating staff here on FA's?

Re: The Fighting Arts Forum History - 01/15/08 11:53 PM

thanks Matt, and sorry for putting you on the spot.

Scotty, I've only been reading here for something over a couple years, and I think one of the strengths of the moderation has been a fairly frequent voluntary change of guard. In that respect, if looking at it over time, a pretty diverse set of backgrounds have passed thru the moderating positions....probably at least as diverse as there are sections.

Posted by: BrianS

Re: The Fighting Arts Forum History - 01/16/08 01:21 AM

Quote:

How many different styles/knowledge bases are represented by the moderating staff here on FA's?

Goju Karate!! Boo yah!!!!

How often should the site be looked in on?
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: The Fighting Arts Forum History - 02/22/08 07:04 AM

Pretty cool to hear the history of the site. I'm still here by the way, just lurking for the moment while I wait for the chance to join a Judo club.