When you knew it was working

Posted by: Anonymous

When you knew it was working - 12/07/07 01:18 PM

I was getting into my truck after cleaning the dojo one day and a woman and a man approched me and asked for money. I told them I didn't have any. The woman walked around to the passenger side while talking loudly as the man walked around to where I was standing. The woman was obviously trying to distract me while the man attempted to grab my purse. Right before the man reached me I threw my purse into the truck as I turned to face him. I made it clear that I knew what he was doing and what my intent was if he tried to take it further. The Bonny and Clide wannabes walked away empty handed.
If it weren't for MA and my amazing teachers I would not have been aware of what was going on or how to deal with it.

K, your turn.
Posted by: Bunny_Warrior

Re: When you knew it was working - 12/07/07 01:28 PM

You go girl!

A lot of people will just give up if you show you have no fear and make it clear you'll defend yourself. Such people pick targets they think are easy, and will just walk away if their target clearly shows they will defend themselves.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: When you knew it was working - 12/07/07 01:47 PM

Well done!
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: When you knew it was working - 12/07/07 04:40 PM

I've seen several and heard of many more occasions where just showing even the appearance that you are going to put up a fight AND maybe know what you're doing is all it takes.

I had a man approach me ( only 1 though ) but with very obvious intentions. As he asked me questions I said nothing, I shut my truck door, kept my keys in my hands, chin down and turned in a very natural but defensive stance and looked through him. Never answered his questions, just kept my eyes open and diffuse. He backed away slowly and went away.

But, I've heard many tales of some of my instructors dealing with more than one person by simply falling into a solid stance and INVITING the person to fight. When they see you're not a low risk any more they scatter. ( have to really have the ability to back that one up though, or you'll just end up on the ground being stomped. )

Anyway, without all the colorful stories, good job. And yes, I think the best things learned in most MA for SD are attitude and awareness. ( attitude as in being humble but confident, not an a$$...)

Re: When you knew it was working - 12/07/07 05:45 PM

Quote:

But, I've heard many tales of some of my instructors dealing with more than one person by simply falling into a solid stance and INVITING the person to fight. When they see you're not a low risk any more they scatter. ( have to really have the ability to back that one up though, or you'll just end up on the ground being stomped. )

Yeah that's so true. I've had it happen to me like 2 or 3 times. Every time I had 1-3 people wanting to attack me, and I just assumed a fighting stance, and told them to come and get me. They just backed away and left me alone after that. Of course, as you said you gotta be able to back that one up, and I was indeed able of backing it up, luckily. I guess staying calm and and giving them a mean look helped too lol. In any event, I am very glad I didn't have to fight.

As I said, they pick people they think will make easy targets, as soon as you show them you'll resist, they will usually just back away and go.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: When you knew it was working - 12/07/07 09:56 PM

OK, thank you for the kudos to those who replied and, yes, attitude is half the battle. However! I feel my fledgling thread is at deaths door so I, out of my, as of yet, untapped maternal resevoir, will rise up and attempt to rescue it. In other words here's another story:

I was walking to work last winter, it's downhill and tends to get slippery, when I slipped. Yup, both feet out from under me. Now, I have no idea how I did this, it's one of those instant reaction things that you are completely unaware of doing until it's over, but I somehow righted myself in mid air and landed in a squat on the balls of my feet. And yes, I looked around to see if anyone saw it ; ) Once again, thank you MA.
Posted by: karate_popo

Re: When you knew it was working - 12/08/07 12:04 AM

ok, i gotta add a kind of funny twist.. i have been studying for approx 3 years, and one night when i was upstate at my parents, i went outside and i heard a noise and i immediately turned into a fighting stance, luckily it was just a deer, but i thought it was funny that i jumped that fast, upon hearing a noise

also i was on this call, of a assault in progress, since i am volunteer my only weapon is a baton, so we roll up on these guys and i have my baton in hand, cuz i take it off when i'm in the car, and i jump out and i put my baton in it's holster and as i start yelling at this guy to get back.. i'm kinda in a fighting stance with my hands up..

and one more..lol, i'm on a rolll
ok so everytime i have fallen since i have started MA, i have noticed that even though i'm not thinking about it, i will slap out, and never get hurt, fell on a hard supermarket floor, straight on my back, and i was ok, thank you MA.. ..

Re: When you knew it was working - 12/08/07 06:58 AM

Lol karate popo, I know what you mean it happened to me once, I heard a noise when I was a kid, and immediately assumed a fighting stance. My friends heard it too, and started laughing when they saw me. It was quite funny We didn't know what made the made the noise, but it was probably a cat or something.
Posted by: Jeff_G

Re: When you knew it was working - 12/17/07 10:29 PM

I met an instructor once who told me that he teaches his students to defend themselves against nunchucks from orange belt on up. I won't get into the specifics, but it made sense.

One day a guy approached one of his students in an alley, swinging a set of chucks back and forth. Guy said, "Give me your money." Student said, "Or what?"
"Or I'll hit you with these.
"Go ahead." Guy took an overhead swing and found the chucks snatched out of his hand.
Student looked at the chucks in his hand and tossed them back to the bad guy saying, "Wanna try again?"
Bad guy left the alley.
Posted by: WC_Lun

Re: When you knew it was working - 12/17/07 11:10 PM

I live in a fairly rough part of town...southeast to those that know KC. I walked out to my car from a local store and found a guy trying to break into my car via a coat hanger. My first response was to say something rude and his response was to charge me. Scared the heck outta me, but the training kicked in and I wasn't hurt. A few classmates made it a pooint to give me some razzing about how I wasn't a virgin anymore