thought I might have to use it...

Posted by: sunspots

thought I might have to use it... - 11/28/07 04:21 PM

I thought I might have to use my AKK training on Friday night. It was about 11 p.m. and I was sitting on my couch channel-surfing and thinking of going to bed. I saw police car lights through the window, the cops were at my neighbor's house. Since this isn't incredibly unusual, I didn't think much of it. Stepped outside to see what was going on, and heard the cops were looking for someone.

I had just gotten settled when I heard a noise ouside my window, someone pushing through the (very thorny) bushes. I thought it was probably the cops. Just then I hear my back dood open and in rushes this bleeding drunken kid, probably about 15, reeking of alcohol and dripping on my floor. He looked startled to see the there, and said "I have to hide here." I replied in a fairly normal tone, "Get the XXXX out of my house." He gave me a deer-in-the-headlights look. My mind was racing with thoughts like "O.K. I've got at least 40 pounds on this kid, I have a heavy walking stick 3 steps away and a toaster with lots of sharp corners right at my right hand, and if he takes one more step, the fight is on."

He didn't move, just stared at me, so I pumped up the volume to 11 and yelled at the top of my voice, "GET THE XXXX OUT OF MY HOUSE!!!"

That got him moving and he scrambled for the back door. I followed still at full volume and watched him cross my backyard and go into the street. I them went out the front door and told the cops which way he'd gone. Turned out they caught him moment's later.

I learned two things:

1. Lock my back door.
2. I feel more secure knowing I can think in a crisis, and not freeze up or fall apart.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 11/28/07 04:33 PM

Glad you weren't hurt!
Posted by: BrianS

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 11/28/07 09:30 PM

sunspots,

That was a great job! Glad you weren't hurt. I can't think of any better way to react than what you did.
Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 11/28/07 10:25 PM

Wow... I doubt the kid did any serious crime, he was probably just drunk.

Would it of killed you to let him hide in your basement or something?

I mean, he probably isn't a bad guy, he isn't really a threat to you. I think it's a bit excessive to scream at him and kick him out.

BUT it is your property, and you don't have to help out somebody in need if you don't want to.

I would, though.

I mean... cmon.

Would anybody else let him hide?
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 11/28/07 10:33 PM

Quote:

You are joking, right?

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 11/28/07 10:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You are joking, right?

no... the kid's only 15.

I mean... give him a brake.

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 11/28/07 11:10 PM

That's just stupid.

If someone charged into my home I would give him a break if they didn't leave immediately, probably just the arm or something.
Posted by: Ives

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 11/30/07 12:33 PM

Pepto,

There are plenty of criminals aged 15 or less.
If someone is running from the cops, you don't want to give 'm shelter. In most countries, that might have the police charge you to.

Helping a suspected criminal is a job for an atterny/lawyer.
Posted by: cxt

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 11/30/07 01:27 PM

"Give him a break"

The only "break" somebody is going to get by rushing into my house in the dead of night--the house where my kids might be sleeping, the house where my wife/girlfriend/significant other might be--is a body part--if they were lucky enough not to just be shot outright.

Somebody so jacked up as to think they can run and hide in the house of complete stranger is seriously dangerous---what if he had not been home?
What if he found somebodies 12 year old home--or a 14/15/16 year old baby sitter?

Would he have just left----or did the chances for a really dangerous situation with the really drunk and not thinking stright punk with the cops chaseing him just go up?????
Posted by: cxt

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 11/30/07 03:21 PM

IVES

BTW--NOT a "reply" to you---that should have been a "reply" to Pepto.

Hit the wrong key at the wrong time. My mistake.

By the time I realized it-it was too late to edit.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 11/30/07 03:33 PM

Quote:

Potentially. He's drunk, bleeding, and evidently hiding from the cops. Would I let him hide out in my house? No chance, Lance. He's leaving my house one way or the other.

I'm glad to know that all the 15 year-olds in your area are trustworthy precious snowflakes, but here in the NoVA/DC area, they could be a member of MS13.

I don't want to sound like a VTG, but if a stranger enters my house uninvited, (especially drunk, bleeding, and on the run) they've just forfeited their right to continued good health.

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 11/30/07 04:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm glad to know that all the 15 year-olds in your area are trustworthy precious snowflakes, but here in the NoVA/DC area, they could be a member of MS13.

Well... From the description the kid sounded drunk and frightened.

I mean... I guess your right, chances are drinking wasn't his only crime.

The kid in the story just didn't sound like a Badass gangster, sounded more like a scared kid.

Hiding criminals is probably not a good idea though.

edit:

Sunspot, can u give more details on the kid? Like his ethnicity, and how he was dressed?

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 11/30/07 04:47 PM

No I absolutely would NOT have let him hide in my basement.
Why should I protect an underage drunk who was running from the cops and who invaded my home late at night? Being under the legal drinking age doesn't absolve him of responsibility for his actions. He got less than he deserved.

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 11/30/07 08:23 PM

Quote:

Sunspot, can u give more details on the kid? Like his ethnicity, and how he was dressed?

Ethnicity? Really? You're going to go there? Huh.

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 12/01/07 12:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ethnicity? Really? You're going to go there? Huh.

I saw that too!!!
Posted by: TKD-Skippi

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 12/01/07 02:02 PM

you should have brained him with the toaster then said some clever toaster related pun.... all joking aside though you handled that perfectly considering he was like 15. Kudos
Posted by: Jeff_G

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 12/17/07 04:42 AM

Well done. I'm glad everyone got out of it safely, aparently even the kid. He didn't do anything stupid enough to get himself shot.
Posted by: WC_Lun

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 12/17/07 11:24 PM

If you enter someone's house that you aren't invited into then you put yourself at risk. Probably every kid over 6 knows that. Kid is lucky Zombie didn't hurt him, then go get the cops. Who knows, maybe the best thing for the kid was to take a ride in the back of a police car. Hiding him definitley wouldn't have been the best idea in the world.

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 12/18/07 01:41 PM

Quote:

Kid is lucky Zombie didn't hurt him, then go get the cops.

I think you have me confused with Sunspots. This is his story, not mine.
Posted by: WC_Lun

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 12/18/07 03:31 PM

So I do..I can read...really Thanks for the correction.

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 12/18/07 05:18 PM

Actually, it's HER story. I am a 48 year old female, green belt in Ed Parker's American Kenpo, and preparing for a Brown Belt test in April. I didn't think my gender had much to do with it, so it never came in this thread. No harm done.
Posted by: TKD_X

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 02/16/08 11:14 PM

i think you handled it excellently. i would have told him to get out. if he didn't move i would let rip with the ki-hap to end all ki-haps. obviously the kid was doing something more than getting drunk. being a high school student i can tell you that 15 year old kids are not as innocent as everyone is making them sound. what if he leaves drugs or a gun or something in the basement? then who gets in trouble? you had every right to tell him to get out and i applaud your use of it

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 02/19/08 03:34 PM

Thank you. I figured I needed to give him a fair warning that I wasn't going to serve him tea and bring him bandages, and screaming at him seems to have worked well.
Posted by: JM2007

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 02/20/08 10:46 AM

Sunspots...

I am glad you weren't hurt. Always a good idea to keep your door locked as you mentioned. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have had people tell me that someone came into their house through their unlocked front or back door uninvited (police officer).

My favorite part of the story is that you were carrying around a toaster with sharp corners. Is that normal? I usually just leave mine on the counter...lol.

Have a great day...respectfully, Jason

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 02/21/08 04:07 PM

I think perhaps you misunderstood. I was not carrying the toaster, it was on the kitchen counter very near at hand. But it would have made an interesting weapon, huh? Sounds like something Monty Python would do....

Have a great day!

sunspots

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 02/21/08 04:41 PM

Okay...I re-read it...you're right...I misunderstood. But it did make the story funny!

Stay safe, Jason

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 02/22/08 05:05 PM

I can just picture the next big thing on YouTube - TOASTER-FU!!
Posted by: Neko456

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 02/26/08 12:37 PM

Great job you resolved the conflict without getting physical and stayed in control, thats a big thing in a situation like that. Any fear or panic crying or shock could have changed that situation to near hostage or AAK or toaster nunchuka time. You did well.

As for helping any suspect that the cops are looking for is bad business if founded out it makes you an accomplishes or partner to his crime. You didn't know what he had done, bleeding and drunk he couldn't be trusted, 15 yr. olds kill now days.

And at that you let him hide out, he dies from his unknown injury or alcohol posioning or whatever now you have to explain a dead body in your basement or house. After the cop search end, bad business any advice like this, helping a fleeing suspect, imho should be IGNORED!

Only mistake you made was not locking your door, if police lights are common, why wouldn't you unless you just need someone to practice your Kenpo on .
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 02/27/08 04:57 PM

Quote:

you should have brained him with the toaster then said some clever toaster related pun....

Of course "You're toast!" immediately comes to mind.

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 02/27/08 07:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

you should have brained him with the toaster then said some clever toaster related pun....

Of course "You're toast!" immediately comes to mind.

Too obvious. You have to go over the top, Arnie style:

"Wheat here. I'll be Rye back. Melba you'll make bail, if you have the sourDOUGH!"

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 03/03/08 10:05 PM

"Wheat here. I'll be Rye back. Melba you'll make bail, if you have the sourDOUGH!"

Thanks a lot, I just snorted milk onto my keyboard.

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 03/05/08 04:30 PM

You guys are gonna get me in trouble laughing out loud at work!!

But seriously, JM2007 is absolutely right, I should have had the door locked in the first place. I guess the reason I didn't is that my neighborhood is mostly seniors except for the one place next door, and the cops usually visit them quietly and leave. I never expected someone to come into MY place uninvited, and my naivete (or however you spell it) could have cost me big time. But fortunately, the lesson was learned, and the door is now locked every night.
Posted by: Tony2776

Re: thought I might have to use it... - 03/22/08 10:40 AM

Quote:

Groan! Good story, though, and I'm glad no one was injured.