fighting a fat guy with a cast

Posted by: pepto_bismol

fighting a fat guy with a cast - 11/27/07 07:16 PM

So over the thanksgiving brake I fought a fat guy with a cast. (I didn't notice the cast at first, and thought he was only rough housing for the first 5 mins...)

He probably weighed anywhere from 230-260 and wasn't very strong for his build.

Anyway we were in the clinch for a bit, then I went for a single leg (the leg which had the cast)

but I didn't know it had a cast, I noticed the big boot looking thing but I did not compute.

Anyways, I COULD NOT lift his leg.

Meanwhile he was trying to throw knees to my stomach and elbows to my back.

So I was like... wtf and laughed at how he had no authority in his strikes.

So I stood up then he punched me square in the face (between eyes)
I was fortunate he hit me there, and his punches had no authority.

So I punched him in the Temple once and the jaw twice.

Then my friend seperated us.

Anyway, I learned a valuable lesson.

DON'T TRY TO GRAPPLE WITH THE FAT FOLKS!

You would probably have better luck striking.

I left out all of the social parts of the fight, because I wanted to keep this strictly from a martial arts point of view, because it is really the science of fighting that is interesting, not trash talk.

Any thoughts? Or similar experiences of fighting somebody twice your size?
Posted by: JKogas

Re: fighting a fat guy with a cast - 11/27/07 07:37 PM

WTF?! lol You got yourself into some weird [censored] man. Nothing smacks of Thanksgiving like a good fight, right?

Was it because he had a heavy cast that you couldn't lift the leg for the single or what? Crap like this always seems to come down to posture for me. Did you have your head down or up when going for it? Seems like if he was elbowing your back, your posture might have been bad to begin with. Perhaps transitioning to a LOW single would've been better...those drop nearly everyone, regardless of size.

Tell you what, I've had easier times controlling bigger guys on the ground than smaller one's.

As far as having better luck striking a big guy; there are weight divisions in boxing for a reason. You're not out of the woods there either.

As far as fighting people twice your size, I once armbarred (from the ground within him in my guard) a 300 lb guy in about 20 seconds. I weighed about 185 at the time.

Everything is relative man. Bigger guys aren't necessarily any harder to get down than smaller guys. Sometimes they are easier, sometimes they're harder. But a three legged table is a three legged table...it's going to fall at some point (even easier it would seem, when ONE of those legs is already lame and in a cast, but what do I know).

The biggest thing that I've observed about takedowns is how tenacious you have to be in going for them. You gotta be 110 percent committed and use everything you got to bring them down.

-John
Posted by: BrianS

Re: fighting a fat guy with a cast - 11/27/07 09:19 PM

Distract him with a turkey leg next time, then shoot the leg.

Re: fighting a fat guy with a cast - 11/27/07 11:31 PM

Quote:

Did you have your head down or up when going for it? Seems like if he was elbowing your back, your posture might have been bad to begin with. Perhaps transitioning to a LOW single would've been better...those drop nearly everyone, regardless of size.

I had my head up and was going for a high crotch single, I could not budge his leg. My friend said his leg had a cast and a brace or something like that.

So it probably was like 15 lbs. extra

the elbows to the back were weak, part of the reason was probably because my posture was decent.
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: fighting a fat guy with a cast - 11/28/07 01:31 AM

You learned an important lesson--i.e. what strategy you use depends on your opponent. I am glad his punches lacked "authority" and you survived being hit in the face--it could have been worse! I think your idea of trying to stay out of wrestling matches with larger opponents is, at least in most cases, a good one.
Posted by: Jeff_G

Re: fighting a fat guy with a cast - 12/04/07 10:32 PM

Fought a guy with a prosthetic leg once. He even broke it in a small tournament once.
Posted by: formless

Re: fighting a fat guy with a cast - 12/15/07 04:47 PM

Quote:

So over the thanksgiving brake I fought a fat guy with a cast. (I didn't notice the cast at first, and thought he was only rough housing for the first 5 mins...)

He probably weighed anywhere from 230-260 and wasn't very strong for his build.

Anyway we were in the clinch for a bit, then I went for a single leg (the leg which had the cast)

but I didn't know it had a cast, I noticed the big boot looking thing but I did not compute.

Meanwhile he was trying to throw knees to my stomach and elbows to my back.

So I was like... wtf and laughed at how he had no authority in his strikes.

So I stood up then he punched me square in the face (between eyes)
I was fortunate he hit me there, and his punches had no authority.

So I punched him in the Temple once and the jaw twice.

Then my friend seperated us.

Anyway, I learned a valuable lesson.

DON'T TRY TO GRAPPLE WITH THE FAT FOLKS!

You would probably have better luck striking.

I left out all of the social parts of the fight, because I wanted to keep this strictly from a martial arts point of view, because it is really the science of fighting that is interesting, not trash talk.

Any thoughts? Or similar experiences of fighting somebody twice your size?

i would have tried to get out of the clinch, pushed him back then AK'd his leg with the cast on it. i have very low tolerance for fools. leave me alone, and we will have no problem. start giving me crap, then you have a problem.
Posted by: Vennificus

Re: fighting a fat guy with a cast - 02/07/08 08:19 PM

Does wing chun work on fat people? Or do those punches just get absorbed?
Posted by: BrianS

Re: fighting a fat guy with a cast - 02/07/08 11:02 PM

Quote:

Does wing chun work on fat people? Or do those punches just get absorbed?

Oh brother...
Posted by: jasperdaman

Re: fighting a fat guy with a cast - 02/07/08 11:40 PM

GOSH im sick of these noobie questions, it so obviously gets absorbed like on dragonball z.....
Posted by: Neko456

Re: fighting a fat guy with a cast - 02/08/08 11:24 AM

I find this very funny, and obviously something that was not praticed in the gym. Why try lifting someone leg thats twice your size? You watch too much WWF. You should have tried the same technique but trapped the ankel and drove with your shoulder. So you are tripping the guy rather then trying to slam him. I teach that small man technqiue for every situtaion if it works on a big guy it will work on a small guy. Once on the ground a big rolton guy is more vurnerable (unless trained to ground fight) and slower to get back up most times.

Does wing chun work on fat folks, LOL. A punch is just a punch to the face, or strenum. And a kick to the inner knee is just a kick. WC/any MA will fu$% a Fat Guy/Anybody up if applied properly. I know you were jesting so am I.
Posted by: BigBox

Re: fighting a fat guy with a cast - 03/27/08 04:53 PM

Quote:

GOSH im sick of these noobie questions, it so obviously gets absorbed like on dragonball z.....

Lmao so so true.....
Posted by: Pinged

Re: fighting a fat guy with a cast - 03/27/08 07:54 PM

I doubt a fat guy would have good balance, their legs are strong however. But if this one had a cast...... maybe you should have gone all aikido on him. He did throw a punch, trap, dip under, jointlock and push.
Posted by: TheCrab

Re: fighting a fat guy with a cast - 05/18/08 12:50 AM

LOL

@

TOPIC

Re: fighting a fat guy with a cast - 06/02/08 07:44 PM

Quote:

I find this very funny, and obviously something that was not praticed in the gym. Why try lifting someone leg thats twice your size? You watch too much WWF.

Uhmm... FAIL!

I have wrestled guys twice my size in the gym.

And in my experience, a single leg is not a bad way to do it.

It is not my first choice, since the big man's sprawl can be painful.

BUT it has worked on many occasions. Lift a single and sweep the other. This particular guy just apparently had a strong leg, maybe it was aided by his full leg cast. Idk and I don't really care.

But Neko, leg shots against big guys do work on occasion. ALSO I have watched WWE before, and my god man, Single leg takedowns. You have to be kidding. I see much more judo throws, supplexes and can openers then single leg takedowns.

And btw I learned that he can absorb wing chun punches, so I finally had to defeat him with a giant spirit bomb while my friend distracted him with a fried chicken.
Posted by: TheCrab

Re: fighting a fat guy with a cast - 06/03/08 03:36 AM

I lol'd
Posted by: hie_yah

Re: fighting a fat guy with a cast - 06/03/08 06:19 AM

lol, leg shots do definitely work. But if the guys leg is actually almost as big as you, i wouldn't contemplate about even trying to lift it haha.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: fighting a fat guy with a cast - 06/03/08 06:45 AM

Shooting a double but then trapping the leg of his that is on the outside with your outer leg and driving through gives you more power it seems. Something to try. Also, it removes some of his balance. Alternatively you could've stepped on one of his feet and simply pushed him over, works every time.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: fighting a fat guy with a cast - 06/03/08 02:27 PM

Don't try grappling with a Fat guy standing in front of him, but at angle and behind him he is fair game. Usually they don't move well turning or side to side, some can move pretty quick forward. And if you can trip him they have a hard time getting up or moving in the down position.

I find slapping and grabbing loose skin on fat men effective, of course the grabs are more like painful pinances, bc its a grab snacth/pull and release. That along with knees, low line kicks and punches to the face.

The slap to the face between the eyes temporialy blinds they see white globes and red spots for a second just before darkness comes from the KO.

Fat people are just big heavy people.

And theres a difference in power lifter Fat/heavy and couch potato fat!!!