Guy in Kungfu classes competing with me?

Posted by: VietPanda

Guy in Kungfu classes competing with me? - 09/08/07 12:58 AM

I've been learning Praying Mantis Kungfu for 2 yrs now, and was enjoying it for the first yr, until this guy 'W' joined the class, and now he just competes with me at everything, even though I don't actually wanna compete.
For example, I show him a front kick, and then he trains the kick at home virtually 24/7 just to do it better than me
Then i show him a magic trick, and he goes online to search how to do it, and comes back the next week to show everyone how I did it, fully taking away all the entertainment value in it.
I really do not have the intention of 'competing back' for anything, and i don't show off my stuff modestly.
I've told him many times not to do this kind of thing, but he wont' listen, and I've tried avoiding him, but he just keeps annoying me to show him something else he can copy off me and say it's his own.

Why would someone do this, and what should I do?
This has been bothering me for a while, and if anyone can help me, it would be GREATLY appreciated

Thanks a lot in advance,
VietPanda
Posted by: MastaFighta

Re: Guy in Kungfu classes competing with me? - 09/08/07 01:35 PM

Talk with your instructor and explain to him/her the situation.

It's not uncommon to find people like that though. They come into class wanting to beat everyone in everything, regardless if they just joined. However, they are wasting their time in my opinion. They are too focused on being better than someone else, rather than focusing on becoming better than they were when they first started.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Guy in Kungfu classes competing with me? - 09/08/07 04:28 PM

Viet

Just stop showing him anything at all--no matter how much he "annoys" you.

Or you could take a page from his book and use HIM to motivate YOU.
If you know he is working to be better than you---then use that motivate you to work even harder so you'll be better.

People train for different reasons----but a guy--weither you like him or not that is going to push you to work harder and train more often is mostly a good thing.

It sounds like this guy needs the "push" you being as good as you are to drive him to get better.

If you seriously don't want to comepte on any level with this guy---then your simply going to have to get used to him being better---or your going to have stay ahead of him in training.

I honestly don't see many other options.
Posted by: SpeedyGonzales

Re: Guy in Kungfu classes competing with me? - 09/08/07 10:48 PM

Quote:

I've been learning Praying Mantis Kungfu for 2 yrs now, and was enjoying it for the first yr, until this guy 'W' joined the class, and now he just competes with me at everything, even though I don't actually wanna compete.
For example, I show him a front kick, and then he trains the kick at home virtually 24/7 just to do it better than me

Aside from the "magic trick" thing, he sounds like a blessing. People perform best when they have this kind of motivation. I see nothing wrong with returning his improved front kick with friendly training for "one-ups-manship" and improving your own front kick. If you have a one year seniority on him, then make sure it reflects so in your skills
Posted by: chingei

Re: Guy in Kungfu classes competing with me? - 09/10/07 10:08 AM

Yeah, sounds like a good thing. Competition is healthy.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Guy in Kungfu classes competing with me? - 09/10/07 01:17 PM

Sounds like he pretty impressed with you. Imitation is a form of flattery. Don't take it personally train at your own pace but for every negative try to see the positive, as the others have mentioned use this to make yourself better.
Not better then him you already that, but better for yourself.

The positive you will never lack for a workout partner, use this to make you better. Techniques work better when a guy committs, make him learn the hard way!!!
Posted by: VietPanda

Re: Guy in Kungfu classes competing with me? - 09/13/07 05:19 AM

Thanx everyone for the feedback!
I will definitely train harder to make myself better!

Thanx again!
Posted by: Bunny_Warrior

Re: Guy in Kungfu classes competing with me? - 12/03/07 11:22 AM

Man, can you borrow me that guy? I'd love some competition. Not that I need it, I can motivate myself but it's good for you that you have that guy. He should be your motivation. But maybe you're seeing it all wrong. You know, maybe you impressed him, maybe you are his motivation, and he just shows it in an annoying way. It seems like he looks up to you, but expresses it in an annoying way.