Concentration in studies helped by MA

Posted by: VietPanda

Concentration in studies helped by MA - 09/04/07 05:47 AM

Well this isn't a story about fighting, but one about MA (i'm sure most of you don't value MA just for fighting)

Anywayz, I always havent' been that good at studying at school, until I started Kungfu 2 yrs ago.

But unfortunately after 1.5 years, I started feeling tired whenever I studied or practiced MA. I kind of 'forgot' how to get my concentration back.
Well, 4 days ago, I was sort of "forced " to start practicing for a MA demonstration for graduation assembly in yr12.
And amazingly, by changing my routine a bit, instead of just practicing kicks, forms, punches, etc, and practicing something more fancy, I felt stronger...and my ability to concentrate in class increased by heaps!

True story, I'm sure that most of you can relate this to your own experiences
Posted by: Taison

Re: Concentration in studies helped by MA - 09/04/07 06:16 AM

I'll be honest.

MA didn't make me able to concentrate better not did it give me a better attention span.

Miniature painting (Warhammer) is what gave me the ability to concentrate in MA classes.

Quote:

(i'm sure most of you don't value MA just for fighting)

And it seems I'm one of the few who actually studies MA to hurt people. /shrugs

-Taison out
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Concentration in studies helped by MA - 09/04/07 06:35 AM

There is absolutely no reason that your MA should become boring and lifeless. You just need to mix up what you are doing. Variety is the spice of life and ANYONE who does the same thing day in day out will get bored with it. Everyone in the MA careers "hits the wall" so to speak. There are times when our energy is low, our enthusiasm's left the building and the will to do MA seems dead. I usually find that these moments are the calm before the storm, and usually a great new insight is just round the corner. Out of the blue something will jump out of the blue at you and you'll be sprinting to training. Thing to remember is that keeping your training fresh (and actually over training falls into this category as well in my opinion) is a state of mind. Within most MA's there are a set number of physical techniques and a finite amount of stuff to physically learn within the syllabus (or so it would appear!). While the actual physical movements maybe limited, the applications of those movements are endless. If you're stuck in a rut change the game. Practice kicking defensively. Practice kicking whilst defending against someone trying to take you down. Then swap it round, you try and take someone down whilst they're trying to take you down. Work on punching as a counter fighter. Then be the aggressor and learn to deal with the counter fighter. Play play and play some more!

This is exactly what happened to you. I put money that you didn't do anything you haven't been doing in your regular training, it was the change of environment and conditions of practice that put the spunk back into your MA! A good little MA lesson for you!