was it really worth it?

Posted by: shorin-ji

was it really worth it? - 05/02/07 01:24 AM

well it all started at about 11:30 pm last saturday when my girlfriend and I got off of the bus. A guy approached us and asked my girlfriend if she had change for a 10, my girlfriend took out 2 fives and he handed her a blank peice of paper and ran. I followed him and confronted him asking him non threateningly but firmly to give me back the money and he ran off again so i chased him with my girlfriend following close by. he finally stopped like he was going to fight when my girlfriend ran up and snatched his hat off his head telling him that he would get his hat back when he gave us back our money. he pushed my girlfriend and raised his fist to her. without even thining I ran at him dropping him with two strong rights to the jaw and cheek, he took me down with him trying to jersey me but i quickly slipped myself out of the shirt and began punching him viciously in the face, then I got up and began kicking him in the ribs witch just made him turtle up. after a few hard kicks i thought he was done and we walked back without the 10 dollors. right as we were getting back to where our taxi was picking us up this guy beaten up from our fight just a few mins before attacks me again. I threw him to the ground and started wrestling with him in the middle of an intersection. I started to feed him shots to the side when people began running out of their cars and picked me up off of him as he was yelling "call the cops" (strangely enough).
at that point I just got into my cab that had arrived while I was fighting this idiot in the street.

after the whole fiasco, altough he was at least 20 (i'm 18) and he was at least 6 inches taller then me and about the same build i had no punches landed on me but i still had a severely strained muscle in my leg and very sore bloody hands (my left hand has 3 decent sized chunks out of it which will definately leave scars.

And now I gotta ask myself, "was it really worth fighting for 10$?" on one side this situation could have ended up a lot worse and on the other side maby the guy will think twice before he tries stealing any other persons money
Posted by: clmibb

Re: was it really worth it? - 05/02/07 01:35 AM

Lesson number 1: Never give people change on the street. Direct them to the nearest 24 hour store if you feel the need to help them out.
Lesson number 2: Fighting over any amount of money IMO is always stupid especially that late at night. If he stole your money, call the cops and get the best description of the perp as possible; direction he ran, height, approx. age and so on.
Lesson number 3: Just because your girlfriend is around doesn't mean that you need to be "macho". Speaking from personal experience, we would rather have you unhurt and have lost 10 bucks than spend the rest of my night sitting with you in the ER getting stiches or worse explaining to your parents what happened while you are up in surgery.

Casey

Re: was it really worth it? - 05/02/07 01:56 AM

it really wasnt about being "macho" it was just something that kicked in like how a parent would if it happened to their child. my girlfriend is 5 feet tall and he was probably close to 6 and a half
Posted by: clmibb

Re: was it really worth it? - 05/02/07 10:11 AM

I debated myself on the right word to use for a while. My original thought was you don't need to go "chingaso" on a guy over 10 bucks but then I realized that most people on here wouldn't know the word chingaso. Not only that but I wasn't too sure on how to spell it properly. Macho I thought was better but it was late and my brain was fried. Maybe I should have said something like "Everyone has a fight or flight reaction to things like that. The fight response isn't the smartest in that situation. "

Casey
Posted by: Cord

Re: was it really worth it? - 05/05/07 12:22 AM

You see, I should be all 'walk away, its not worth it', but I know that the only difference between your's and mine action if someone robbed my wife in front of me would be I would make sure he couldn't get up for round 2, and I would get the $10 out of his pocket while he lay bloodied on the floor.
Not saying its right, just saying I understand.
Posted by: NewJitsu

Re: was it really worth it? - 05/05/07 10:40 AM

Guess it depends on your type of personality. If you stew over things, even little things, then sorting that guy out has probably left you with less on your mind than if you'd let him 'get away with it'.

I had a similar situation once when I dropped some money after being to the ATM and some drunk guy picked it up and walked away with it laughing. It was only £20 so I let it go. But even now years later that decision p*sses me off.

P.S. This type of thread usually veers towards the 'What if he'd had a concealed knife?' argument.... In a PC world you probably made the wrong decision but, like Cord, I completely understand why you did what you did.
Posted by: Sveninja

Re: was it really worth it? - 05/05/07 12:21 PM

Being a student of Ninjitsu, I would say it was not worth it. Ten dollars is nothing these days, but a life is still as priceless as it was 30 years ago. What if that guy had a knife, or gun, or buddies waiting in ambush. Ninja never pursuit unless they were told to kill. Because you chased him, you GAVE him control of the situation. HE could have led you straight into a trap. (Ninja would often have several guards chase a lone operative, and that ninja would led them all into an ambush.) You should consider yourself lucky.

I hate to seem cynical, but thanks to my training I typically don't trust strangers. I would simply say "sorry, we spent it all on dinner and stuff." If you said "sorry, I have larger bills, I cant break a ten" he would sense that you are carrying plenty of cash, and he mightsimply mug you. Not to be sexist, but notice how he walked up to your girlfriend, not you. Thugs will target her over you because men are typically more aggresive, (testosterone, baby!)and thus present more of a threat. Trust me, he had this thing rehearsed in his mind.
Posted by: Cord

Re: was it really worth it? - 05/05/07 12:29 PM

Quote:

Being a student of Ninjitsu

No such thing. Did you mean Ninjutsu?

If this guy had a gun or knife, he just would have used it to rob them. His action of robbery was enough to run the risk of reprisal, so if he had a weapon to deter that, he would have used it in the first place, not tried to pull a confidence trick.
He was a hustler, not a hardened criminal. You are right that he has probably done it hundreds of times before though, and has relied on peoples apathy and lack of action to succeed.
Posted by: McSensei

Re: was it really worth it? - 05/05/07 09:03 PM

Posted by cxt on the other thread with same name

shorin

Nope, not worth it.

If you look at it objectively you could have gotten killed for $10 bucks.

Could have gotten your girl hurt or killed as well.

I'd say more but the criminal invloved might be reading this and looking to cause trouble for you.

I'd chalk this up to a really good lesson in how to be more aware and what NOT to do.

$10 bucks is a cheap cost to learn.

Re: was it really worth it? - 05/13/07 09:53 PM

Quote:

Being a student of Ninjitsu, I would say it was not worth it. Ten dollars is nothing these days, but a life is still as priceless as it was 30 years ago. What if that guy had a knife, or gun, or buddies waiting in ambush. Ninja never pursuit unless they were told to kill. Because you chased him, you GAVE him control of the situation. HE could have led you straight into a trap. (Ninja would often have several guards chase a lone operative, and that ninja would led them all into an ambush.) You should consider yourself lucky.

I hate to seem cynical, but thanks to my training I typically don't trust strangers. I would simply say "sorry, we spent it all on dinner and stuff." If you said "sorry, I have larger bills, I cant break a ten" he would sense that you are carrying plenty of cash, and he mightsimply mug you. Not to be sexist, but notice how he walked up to your girlfriend, not you. Thugs will target her over you because men are typically more aggresive, (testosterone, baby!)and thus present more of a threat. Trust me, he had this thing rehearsed in his mind.

dont take the ninja thing too seriously, this was just some dumb a**hole who thought he could do this and not get any reprocussions cause it was from a guy who was smaller and a girl.
Posted by: Jamoni

Re: was it really worth it? - 07/05/07 08:40 PM

I'll go against the grain and say "Yes, you did the right thing." However, it was also the dangerous thing. Frankly, I think that if everyone chose "right" over "safe", this world would be far safer, but that's just me.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: was it really worth it? - 07/10/07 03:27 PM

Was it worth $10? Oh, hell yes. Many years ago I got to hit someone tring to break into my apartment and I still remember it fondly. Only now I'd pull him INTO the apartment where he'd REALLY get trashed!
Posted by: shadowkahn

Re: was it really worth it? - 07/10/07 04:29 PM

*sniff sniff*

Why do I smell BS here?

Call me crazy, but your story doesn't ring true. For one thing you have entirely too much detail. I don't remember my fights that well unless someone was videotaping it and I get to review the instant replay before I talk about it - - and that's just sparring, when I'm not worried about the guy trying to kill me, and where the event was planned in advance.
Posted by: groundfighter

Re: was it really worth it? - 07/10/07 05:38 PM

It is not a matter of right and wrong. It is a matter of what you can live with and what risks you are taking. I can say with full confidence that I would do ALMOST the very same thing. The difference being a stern "stay here" or "call the cops" to my girlfriend. SHE shouldn't be involved in any risks that YOU take.
That being said, can you live with someone exerting that much control over you in such a manner? Would you feel like less of a man or angry with your inaction? I know that I would be angry for my inaction. He likely won't do it again will he? He may pick his battles more carefully.
I will give you another situation that is simular. You draw your conclusion as you may.
I used to live in a bad area of town and one night my wife, our roommate and I heard screams from the neighbors house. When we looked we could see that the husband next door was beating his wife. I gave a stern "call the cops" and a "stay here" to my roommate and my wife and went next door to intervene. The door was locked, so I knocked to a rude reply (not worth printing here) so I kicked at the door which gave way. I then told the husband to get out, and that the police were on their way. He ran at me and after hitting me in the face I elbowed him in the jaw and grabbed him by the hair pulling him outside, kicking him in the back as I ejected him. Closing the door (what was left of the latch) I asked her if she was ok, apologized for the damage and told her I would pay for it, and awaited the police. When they stormed the house, loaded for bear, I recieved an hour long lecture about how "stupid" my actions were. I know that it was not smart, but I knew that I had to go. The same went with you. You knew that that kind of person could not be allowed to succeed. I protected that woman, you protected future victims of that man.
Not smart, no.
Kudos?
absolutely.
J
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: was it really worth it? - 07/11/07 09:24 AM

Quote:

*sniff sniff*

Why do I smell BS here?

Call me crazy, but your story doesn't ring true. For one thing you have entirely too much detail. I don't remember my fights that well unless someone was videotaping it and I get to review the instant replay before I talk about it - - and that's just sparring, when I'm not worried about the guy trying to kill me, and where the event was planned in advance.

BS?? I swear on my mother's grave. And what detail did I go into? Perhaps I remember it because I haven't been in a fight (outside the dojo) since.
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: was it really worth it? - 07/11/07 12:18 PM

Several basic mistakes.

First 11:30 at night, you don't chat with strangers about money period.

Second at 11:30 at night you don't allow anyone to be close enough to exchange money for paper.

Third (especially when with your GF) you don't pursue a crook on foot to retrive money or property.

You need to control your surroundings and protect your GF and yourself, this is application of common sense.

11:30 in the afternoon, I think it makes sense to be a little more open to a stranger seeking change, but never at night.

Either way, you don't chase a crook over 10 bucks.
Posted by: groundfighter

Re: was it really worth it? - 07/11/07 04:18 PM

If I use the common sense that everyone accepts, then I would agree with you that you are taking BIG risks chasing someone for $10. What I know in my heart is that my feeling of violation would carry on well past the date if I didn't give chase. At least if I did something about it, I wouldn't feel so violated.
J
PS- all valid points regarding controling your surroundings. Smart livin is what that is.
Posted by: Downsin

Re: was it really worth it? - 07/15/07 08:39 PM

it was worth it, fights are fun xD
Posted by: BrianS

Re: was it really worth it? - 07/16/07 12:44 AM

Quote:

it was worth it, fights are fun xD

Spoken like someone who has never been in a "real" fight. Those who have tend to try and avoid them.

"clearly an idiot"
Posted by: Taison

Re: was it really worth it? - 07/16/07 12:55 AM

Am I the only one that thinks "fights" are just unnecessary risks?

-Taison out
Posted by: TroTro

Re: was it really worth it? - 07/16/07 10:34 AM

Sparring and sport are fun. Actual fighting? No way.
Posted by: crablord

Re: was it really worth it? - 07/16/07 10:53 AM

fun is hardly the word to describe it.
emotional rollercoaster would be a good one.
Posted by: Taison

Re: was it really worth it? - 07/16/07 01:39 PM

Quote:

Spoken like someone who has never been in a "real" fight

Quote:

"clearly an idiot"

What happens if you combine the two above sentences?

Quote:

Spoken clearly like a real idiot

-Taison out
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: was it really worth it? - 11/08/07 03:43 PM

What happens if you combine the two above sentences?

Quote:

Spoken clearly like a real idiot

-Taison out

Hahaha brilliance!
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: was it really worth it? - 11/22/07 03:39 AM

Yes, it was. Too bad the @#$% jerk wasn't more seriously hurt. Good work.
Posted by: Bunny_Warrior

Re: was it really worth it? - 12/08/07 05:16 PM

Well I think you did the right thing. I mean let's face it, someone might have actually killed the guy for stealing those 10 dollars. Sure it probably wouldn't happen, but the chance is always there that he runs into a nutcase and gets himself killed. Better a beating from you than getting killed for what he does.

The thing is, you're a martial artist. Beat the guy up if you think he needs the beating, and teach him a lesson. That way he may learn and give up mugging people on the street, because one day that guy might get killed for mugging someone way more dangerous or crazy than yourself - of course I am not saying you are crazy, but other people might be.

My point being, the beating you gave the guy might have just saved his neck, and made him think about the risks of what he's doing.

And for the record, I would have done the same as you. Not to beat the guy up, or for fun, or even for money. But simply to teach him that it's dangerous to mug random people on the street. I would even let the guy keep the 10 dollars. I'd hurt him as little as possible (or try at least), then after the beating, I would help him up, let him rest, buy him a drink, and nicely explain to him that he could have encountered someone far more dangerous than me, and that he could have gotten seriously hurt, and that what he's doing could have been a big mistake.

Of curse if the guy has a gun or something like that, I'd just let him have the 10 dollars, in a situation like that it's not worth it. However...if I had a girlfriend and he pointed that thing at her, I'd do my best to break his arm. Better a broken arm than a dead woman if you ask me, and you can't risk stuff if he's got a gun.

Of course this is just my opinion. I think that, if you really wanna beat someone up, do it to teach them something, not because he stole 10 dollars or whatever.
Posted by: WC_Lun

Re: was it really worth it? - 12/08/07 06:54 PM

Was it worth $10? Not at all and you were lucky that you didn't end up in jail or the hospital. I totally understand though...if someone had done that to my wife I prolly woulda done the same thing.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: was it really worth it? - 01/14/08 11:22 AM

Really there are rules that one should be guide by on he street, several others have defined them.

I will only add sometimes women & the uninformed, are trusting and want to help others but your counsel if they will listen should help. Usually the common non connecting responce if you don't know the person is, "Is no I don't have change, and keep walking." But if you know the guy or not let him present his funds to you first, let him be the trusting person. You hold his $10 bucks as you search for his change.

The incident with your lady there probably was unavoidable after he tricked her and ran with the money. She would never let you live that down if you would have just said come on its not worth it, let it go. She would have said with all that training you let that happen to me (in reality she let it happen). So base on the principle you had to defend her honor especially after she took his hat and issued the ultimatum. I know alot of MAs are going to say you always have the option to turn the other cheek, maybe if you girls a MAs too, other then that you have live with that or dump the girl. And really it wasn't her fault for trusting and trying to help a stranger. But thats the world we live in.

In almost every street scuffle I've seen or experienced there are always some briuses, nicks & torn flesh, there is always some regret or hindsight or was it worth it. But thats spilled milk its good that your training came through and you pretty much whipped his a$$, at a slight size disadvantage. The only thing left to do really is to reap the benifits of your labour, laid back and eat those grapes she'll be feeding you as she strokes your browe, my Man, she's thinking.

Thats a lot better then listening to you weakling you let that happen to me or you laid up in the hospital bc you couldn't handle yourself (or the mess she got you in), its just all part of having a non-MA babe. Pluses and minuses, checks and balances. It was a Principle worth fighting for if that means anything to ya, as your scuffs on your knees and elbos heal, eat those grapes Man.

Thats life in the concret jungle. Sorry no wise enlightening jargons or mottos.

Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: was it really worth it? - 01/15/08 10:21 AM

Like Shadowkahn, I smell BS too....here's why.

Quote:

...my girlfriend ran up and snatched his hat off his head telling him that he would get his hat back when he gave us back our money.

The guy was over 6 ft. and the girl was 5 ft. That easy to just snatch off the hat? ...remember everyone was panting after the chase and the tiny girl just walked up and swishhh...got the hat?

Quote:

...without even thinking I ran at him dropping him with two strong rights to the jaw and cheek, he took me down with him trying to jersey me but i quickly slipped myself out of the shirt and began punching him viciously in the face....he was at least 6 inches taller

Two strong rights to the jaw/cheek....(remember the guy was 6 inches taller) ...the guy grabbed his SHIRT, and he could slip it OFF while both were rolling on the ground AND still gave him time to began punching VICIOUSLY in the guy's face.

Quote:

...then I got up and began kicking him in the ribs which just made him turtle up....after a few hard kicks i thought he was done and we walked back without the 10 dollors....this guy beaten up from our fight just a few mins before attacks me again...i still...very sore bloody hands (my left hand has 3 decent sized chunks out of it which will definately leave scars.

After such a severe beating, a street punk risking arrest, came back for seconds? And both he and the girlfriend left without getting the moneny back? Remember the girlfriend had the spunk to snatch off an over 6 ft. guy's hat and demanded for the money or he won't gat his hat back?

Quote:

...at that point I just got into my cab that had arrived while I was fighting this idiot in the street...

Why did they get into a cab when they just got off the bus?

Quote:

no punches landed on me....and very sore bloody hands (my left hand has 3 decent sized chunks out of it which will definately leave scars)

An over 6 ft. street punk wrestling with someone 6 inches shorter and did NOT throw or maybe threw some punches but NONE landed, NOT ONE? And the injuries (from just punching a face and shots to the sides) to our hero's left hand were so severe as to have 3 decent sized chunks out of it and DEFINATELY left scars?

After all that "fiasco" he and the spunky 5 ft. tall girlfriend just got into a taxi? and the taxi driver just drove off as if nothing has happened and also remember that people were getting out of their cars to pull our hero off the guy? It must have been quite a commotion scene with cars stopping in an intersection and the taxi driver just drove off?

Maybe I am wrong; just my $10 worth.

I think the question should have been -- was it really worth it for the punk to be beaten up VICIOUSLY TWICE for $10 which he already had?
Posted by: used2b

Re: was it really worth it? - 01/22/08 01:50 PM

whatever happed to humillity? IMO the fight would have been over putting his hands on my gf... not the money. however stopping him would have given you a very good chance to get your money back

Re: was it really worth it? - 01/23/08 06:53 AM

...it never happened, that's why.
Posted by: Vennificus

Re: was it really worth it? - 01/23/08 09:11 AM

basis of law
do to others as you would have them do to you If your were in their position and they were in yours, abarring necessity.
To judge this, we need to know why he stole the money.
was he just trying to get a pack of smokes? was he out of money on a poker night?
Or was it something more serious, Maybe he had to feed his family by whatever means, unable to get a job, or recently lost his. Upon confrontation he may have become extremely defensive over everything he considered 'his.'

Considering human evolution is based violently on what can survive, your reactions were not out of ordinary. Albiet, you have hurt another human, a crime sure as robbery. Reasons aside, you were not critically damaged by the loss, neither of you were hurt, except by your own overly vicious violence. Also you left the scene of a crime which is illegal in it's own.
As opposed to turn to the authorities who have much to deal with on their own,
You should take it upon yourself to not only make peace with your assailant (having done easily $10 worth of damage)
but also ask him for his reasons behind the robbery. If he has an alchohol problem or the like, direct him to the nearest rehabilitation center. If he has a family to feed, the nearest soup kitchen, or even help him if you can.
You as many humans, (I myself am not innocent) have chosen a violent and wrong path. The people here are attacking your story looking for equillibrium and exchange in your words. They Will gravitate to the conflicts, and slowly pick them apart until it makes perfect sense and they have their opinion formed and proven to themselves.
Always work toward nonviolent peace. Defend yourself now if you must, but remember, We are creatures of law. Equillibrium MUST be observed.

and why did you get a cab after getting off the bus?

Re: was it really worth it? - 01/24/08 11:59 AM

Vennifcus - Thats all well and good decomposing asking why something happened to you on the street is for your memoirs or diary or case studies not for realworld during a conflict. 1st hand I've had to defend myself for no reason except being in the wrong place at the wrong time, theres no reason for it really except they think they can get away with it. I guess law transcripts would help, but its hindsight.

I also find trying replay the scenario so that it makes sense or fit reasoning unless its your job or you were a eyewitness is futile. Though its nothing wrong with forming a personal opinion, its just that.

In a conflict like that facts and reasoning will be blurred and objective. Trying to say that a 5' person can't take a cap off a 6'+ man is a assumption, we don't know if he was bend over panting or at that her raised arm can't reach 1+ foot the average girls arm is longer then 18" long. So even if he was standing she could reach some part of it. And even white girls can jump.

It's not up to us decided did it happen, but to aid in his question of was it worth it. Somethings come to us and force us to handle them. It was worth it because he survived, he was victorious imho and his pretty lady was un-injuried, except for being minus $10.

Butterflypalm those were assumptious inquires that could bring questioned. But it wasn't a obvious lie, like he fought the law and he won.
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: was it really worth it? - 01/24/08 06:48 PM

Quote:

...it never happened, that's why.

I think you're onto something lol, they never look that cool in real life!
Posted by: jude33

Re: was it really worth it? - 01/25/08 02:33 AM

Quote:

You should take it upon yourself to not only make peace with your assailant (having done easily $10 worth of damage)
but also ask him for his reasons behind the robbery.

I think the reason that some people do robbery's might be the fact they are what as known as a thief?

Being an alcoholic etc doesnt give anybody the right to be a thief.

If the event took place it was in Canada? From what I have read they do have a Social Assistance Program?
And a shortage of workers?

I dont think asking robbers why they rob is the best way to
avoid trouble. There should be enough charities to aid them if they require help.

Jude

Re: was it really worth it? - 01/25/08 07:02 AM

Of course those were assumptions, but assumptiuons based on the totality of the whole incident and not just on the hat snatching part alone. There appears to be something wrong in every turn of the "facts" as given.

All I am saying is that I am not convinced it actually happened. Too many unanswered questions. In any case, if the poster merely wanted to put the question whether was it worth it to fight and risk injury to himself, and more importantly to his 5 ft. tall girlfriend, for $10 then just the bare facts would have sufficed; there was really no need to go into all the gory "fighting" detail, especially the part where NOT ONE hit landed on him even while he was taking his shirt off (meaning the thief presumably attempted, but failed) and his hand was so seriously injured (leaving scars mind you) from hitting just the thief's jaw and sides. If the injuries were so serious to his hands, can you imagine what happened to the thief?

And the getting into the taxi (with a bloodied hand) immediately after the "fight" in an intersection, leaving those other motorists who got out of their vehicles with the thief clinched it for me.

NO, it never happened.

Re: was it really worth it? - 01/25/08 11:56 AM

Maybe you could be right, but in a fight details can be scattered for the witness and the people involved. Detailed facts are often mixed up. I know people who have described the same incident that I saw and we saw nearly totally different things, when it came to details. Things like that takes some training most times to distinguish the small detail of what,how many,who and where.

As for his hands being bruised or bloodied this quite possible just by strikes to the hard corners and back of the head or teeth, it does take much to bruise or bloody soft hands that are use to being gloved.

I see your point that it did leave some details outs and reason out like getting off the bus and getting into a taxis. But what I gathered from that was a bus you have to wait on and a taxis can be held right away. In some places. Traffic and parking is so congested that a Mass Tran system and taxis are the main source of travel. In places like NYC taxis are used to escape bar incidents and get aways from such violence, them want to be paid they are not concern with why you want to go. Now they are concern with their cab not being blooided but direct pressure will stop most minor bleeding of the hand.

So his short take on his incident was not that far fecthed as far as I'm concern. Why do people tell about their incidents, it is one of the purpose of this forum.
But he should know there will be PIs like Butterflypalm that don't believe bc everything doesn't match up.

Which is what makes this forum so interesting. Believe it or not.

I'd rather hear that then I got my a$$ whipped by a young punk after 10 years of training in my own style, I don't know why; Can anybody give some suggestions. I've read all of Bruce Lee's books....

Re: was it really worth it? - 01/26/08 07:35 AM

Quote:

I've read all of Bruce Lee's books....

And here's another thing; 95% of books on or about Bruce Lee were not written by the great man himself...and 100% of those were postmortems....

Well, no offense to the poster. Just a way to while away my retirement boredom; I can only play my harmonica for so many minutes a day, and my IMA takes away only 2 hours.
Posted by: Vennificus

Re: was it really worth it? - 01/27/08 08:36 PM

Quote:

I think the reason that some people do robbery's might be the fact they are what as known as a thief?

Being an alcoholic etc doesnt give anybody the right to be a thief.

If the event took place it was in Canada? From what I have read they do have a Social Assistance Program?
And a shortage of workers?

I dont think asking robbers why they rob is the best way to
avoid trouble. There should be enough charities to aid them if they require help.

Jude

No he would not have the right, but he would have a reason.
Ever hear the lorem ipsum place holder?
google it. Read what it means (I suggest wikipedia, It gives a slightly clearer translation)

I'm From canada, we have a wokers issue we are indeed in the process of dealing with. and yes we do have charities and other rehab groups. But people usually have too much pride to accept that they are having a problem, (having a problem implies inferiority, the bane of sucsess and thus, the bane of evolution). America has it, Canada has it, Every single country in the world has it. It just takes too much for some people to ask for help. We have a great country (Don't think we're all drunkards just because we have better beer XD) But we still feel the effects of pride, and (considering america is the super power and thusly a superior country) we try to imitate the U.S. in attempts to be 'cool,' a psychological problem that is causing our youth to turn to acts not unlike those portrayed in GTA (regular gamers realize this is not how people actually act, people who just game because it's 'cool' begin to imitate. Crime ensues)

And You wouldn't think asking why would be the best would you because you are completely unsure as to how they would respond. They Have two choices, Either A) yell "none of your business": and go sulk. or b) are completely and totally taken aback at the lack of ferocity in this subtle offence, and get put mentally off balance, similar to using a child's full name. They aren't used to it. I'm no psychologist, but think, what would YOU do if you were asked that question? If out of nowhere, someone you just attacked for whatever reason, simply, and camly (an absence of anger is important, Anger implies frustration, frustration implies a problem, a problem implies weakness, Anger is also the path to the dark side so watch out. ) asked, "why did you steal from me"
in the event they give the NOYB retort, just say (calmly) "you stole from me, it is my business. Why did you steal from me?" Repetition of this kind is uncommon in regualr speech, it forces them to think. Eventually they may become frustrated, so don't repeat to much. After a while of careful persuasion they break down, they may even sit down and voluntairly explain the troubles in their life.

I kinda figured this out when I was in early primrary school. Jordan's been one of my best friends ever scince.
(adults are just children who are aloud to use pointier sticks and real guns)
Posted by: jude33

Re: was it really worth it? - 01/29/08 02:13 AM

It isnt my business to tell anybody what to do or give advise. But here is some. Be carefull of who you deal with.
Drugs and mental illness or just being pure bad are some of the reasons that a person shouldnt approach another person.

Have a look at some of the reported crimes. Might give a better idea.

Jude
Posted by: Yrael

Re: was it really worth it? - 02/04/08 12:44 AM

I really don't think it was worth it.

I can see the principle in teaching him a lesson, and I can understand that things can just get out of hand very quickly and end violently.

But no, in the end, I think you should have just let it go. Still, kudos for defending your woman like that.
Posted by: TKD_X

Re: was it really worth it? - 02/16/08 10:46 PM

Not worth it in the slightest. I agree with the people who said you two shouldn't have given him change in the first place. what could he need with change for a 10 in the middle of the night anyway? some would argue that it would then turn into a robbery. in that case you should give him the money. avoiding that fight is worth more than 10 bucks. i would say it is worth more than a thousand. you need more than ten bucks to pay your medical bills when you are breathing through a tube in the hospital.

Re: was it really worth it? - 05/20/08 04:16 AM

wow havent been on the forum in ages
whoever thinks that this is BS is a retard, my gf had no problem getting the hat off the guys head and i'm pretty sure he was on drugs or something. its the only rational reason i can think of that he would come back again. as for the taxi driver, i dont think he really gave a s**t, he just wanted to take my fare and have my money. as for him not landing any blows, he was a terriable fighter all he did was grab my shirt

Re: was it really worth it? - 05/20/08 04:26 AM

oh yeah and as for why i got off the bus and into a taxi was because where i lived at the time was not on any bus route and was actually about a half hour walk to any bus stop