Run in with my first master

Posted by: baby_bwoy

Run in with my first master - 04/28/07 07:06 PM

Hey guys, this is my first time posting on this part of the forum. Well last week i was doing some extra sparring at the end of my kickboxing class, when at the door i saw my first ever instructor walk through the door. first of, a little bkacground on my stle, its a form of chinese kickboxing called wu shu kwan, and has a very close knit community where if you've been training long enough your bound to know everyone, and my old instructor just happened to come by to visit my current intrcutor. ( the reason i stopped at his class was b/c he moved to a new gym which was too far away for me to get to considering i dont drive). Anyway we had a good catch up. it had been almost 3-4 years since i'd seen him, back when i was a blue belt ( now im a black belt). we started telling stories of how hard i was to teach and how me and my cousin only ever wanted to play and mess around. that got me thinking about the impact ma had to my life. when i was younger i only started ma to look good and even then i seldomn attended the lessons. when i got into high school i started hanging around streets, running around doing things i shouldnt have done. but some how after i left my old instructor and started at my new class something changed. i started to really get into it and normally came early so i could get in some extra work. i stopped hanging around on street corners, changed the old groups i hung out with and ended up becoming closer with afew dedicated maist in my school. Basically, from what i see, ma has totally changed my life, thinking about all the stupid stuff i might have been doing had i done ma and been at the gym rather than the streets. no matter how i look at it ma has made a big and positive impact on nearly everyones life here on the forum from other stories ive heard, so i just thought to share mine.

Aaron
Posted by: CatnPhx

Re: Run in with my first master - 04/29/07 02:45 AM

Nice story and it's fun to see someone again who made a tremendous impact on your life. MA, almost regardless of the style, can make the transformational change that you have described ... I think most of us can agree to that. Also, it must have been a thrill for your 1st instructor to see where you are today and feel proud that you have grown. It made his day too I'm sure.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Run in with my first master - 04/29/07 11:10 AM

Nice story, Aaron. MA had a similar impact on my life, which is part of the reason I'm still training. Good stuff.