Fa real?

Posted by: Ed_Morris

Fa real? - 03/25/07 01:40 AM

Anyone ever notice that the longer ago and less verifiable a martial arts story is, the more unbelievable and incredible it sounds? why is that?

Is that Human nature? or is it a MA thing?
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Fa real? - 03/25/07 09:38 AM

One of my early translations of a Dim Mak book (circa 1950's) told of the development of Dim Mak that included a doctor's name who was supposed to have done a procedure where he swapped the hearts of two men who were both ill and made them well. As this supposedly occurred during the reign of the "Yellow Emperor", it's a bit suspect...

That kinda what you meant, Ed???

Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Fa real? - 03/25/07 11:12 AM

Hello Wristtwister:

Nice!!!!

If you or I were not THERE at the time, the story(ies) might get twisted, enlarged, increased!

Different life experiences will provide different answers to the proverbial elephant, depending upon where one saw it from

It is my opinion, I'm sticking to it....
Jeff
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Fa real? - 03/25/07 11:52 AM

Nah, it's definitlely human nature. Who remembers hearing their dad talk about walking to school uphill both ways in 10 feet of snow with no coat, attacked by dogs and wolves, etc.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Fa real? - 03/25/07 12:23 PM

Version A;

I went to the bar, got drunk, and hit the waiter. Then the bouncers threw me out. I threw up and fell asleep on the bench outside the bar.

Version B;
I accompanied some friends to the bar, when suddenly, the waiter assaulted one of my friends because he refused to give tips, and as the punch came, I parried it away from my friend's face into the concrete wall, and roundhouse kicked him in the face sending him flying through a window. Then some more waiters came, and I proceeded to judo-toss one over the bar, smash one's face into the wall, groin kick one and smash a chair over his head, and break the finger and wrists of the last one with a aikido wristlock. I then left a big cheque with my signed name and told the bartender to decide how much he wanted to be paid.

I wonder which one people would like to spend 5 minutes of their lives listening to.

-Taison out
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Fa real? - 04/07/07 02:40 PM

It transcends all boundries.

Know what the difference is between a fairy tale and sea story?

A fairy tale starts "Once upon a time..."
A sea story starts "Gather 'round boy's, This ain't no sH*T..."

It's always been said that you can tell when a diver is lieing. How? His lips are moving

The martial arts corolloray of that is suredly "How do you know when a soke/Great Grand Master is lieing??

Page
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Fa real? - 04/07/07 04:32 PM

Quote:

"How do you know when a soke/Great Grand Master is lieing??

I don't even need to see the lips move....I just look at the patch he's wearing that announces his title.

(has ANYONE EVER been in a class where it wasn't clear who the sensei was? why do some wear title patches on their Gi like some 1950's gas station attendant?)

Re: Fa real? - 04/08/07 01:41 PM

Ed,
Honest to God, I went to a seminar one time where the "Sensei" showed up wearing a gold-lemay gi, wearing a gold belt. He wanted to fight with me because I kept laughing at him... true story.

"The master" may have been a shodan once, but I doubt it... his seminar was more basic than most of the classes I've attended.

Re: Fa real? - 04/08/07 01:52 PM

Wristtwister,

Have you ever been to a seminar where you didn't have to guess who the sensei was? Like he looks perfectly normal but you can almost sense an aura around him, or some type of intense focus in his eyes.

Only experienced that once, Tom Sotis of AMOK! came to Thailand to hold a seminar in Bangkok Fight Club when it was located on 31st floor in the old locale. That man, you could almost sense something about him. Like a deterrence.

I didn't partake in the seminar, it was my cousin but I asked my cousin who that person was and he said it was the founder 'dude'.

WT, since your experience is far longer to me, can you share some stories of 'normal' looking senseis that you've met but showed something amazing?

-Taison out

Re: Fa real? - 04/08/07 04:06 PM

Taison,
Shogo Kuniba comes to mind as one of those "normal looking guys" who simply had an aura about him. Kuniba Sensei was slim, moved very smoothly, and always smiling, and when training with him, he always looked like what he was doing was completely effortless.

He was such a nice guy to be around, but had some of the deadliest skills I've seen. He was a "regular" at one of our organizations' summer camp, and while you might not recognize him in street clothes, it didn't take long to see the special qualities he had, both in the dojo and outside.

He was a really cool dude, and I learned a lot in a short time from him... which is also the mark of a good teacher.

Re: Fa real? - 04/11/07 01:15 AM

I wouldn't want to mug him on the street

-Taison out
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Fa real? - 04/11/07 08:19 AM

[quote/]
(has ANYONE EVER been in a class where it wasn't clear who the sensei was? why do some wear title patches on their Gi like some 1950's gas station attendant?)

Nice one, Ed. Personally I prefer my "Rex Kwon Do" pants to any patches.

Re: Fa real? - 04/11/07 02:16 PM

I like those gis where the word "SENSEI" is written in caps on the back and along the lapels.

As if I didn't have a clue who the sensei was.

-Taison out
Posted by: Just1Mike

Re: Fa real? - 04/11/07 09:22 PM

My nephew told me of his son's first (and last) belt exam last week. After the exam his son approached the visiting Great grand master to ask if he could take his picture. He was shouted down by one of the attending black belts and told that he was not allowed to speak directly to the grand master. My nephew took his son's hand, exchanged pleasentries with the "Bodyguard", Told sensei that they would not be returning and left. As they were leaving, my nephew's son said to him "Dad, I can go home and talk to God, But I can't talk to THAT guy?! Classic..

Good Luck!
Mike.
Posted by: clmibb

Re: Fa real? - 04/11/07 09:39 PM

Quote:

My nephew told me of his son's first (and last) belt exam last week. After the exam his son approached the visiting Great grand master to ask if he could take his picture. He was shouted down by one of the attending black belts and told that he was not allowed to speak directly to the grand master. My nephew took his son's hand, exchanged pleasentries with the "Bodyguard", Told sensei that they would not be returning and left. As they were leaving, my nephew's son said to him "Dad, I can go home and talk to God, But I can't talk to THAT guy?! Classic..

Good Luck!
Mike.

OMG that's great!

Casey

Re: Fa real? - 04/15/07 09:19 AM

I'd walk directly up to that grandmaster and see how really 'grand' he is if he's so friggin' untouchable. Just hate it when people think being a 'grand-master' makes you a semi or even a god. And I really hate the word 'grand-master'. Just a load of BS, if I see a guy in his early 30 being called 'grand-master'. Sometimes I don't even consider the found of a system a 'grand-master'.

-Taison out
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: Fa real? - 04/15/07 12:55 PM

I'm 17 and a grand master of my own style called "Biatz Selapper-Ryu".

Come to my school and get a free jock strap upon your initial contract payment.

Re: Fa real? - 04/16/07 08:22 AM

I'm no grandmaster but I do possess skills in "Walther P22"-ryu, and it usually makes people like the Gracies or Shamrocks run in terror.

Except Chuck Norris. He fears nothing.

-Taison out
Posted by: C_Rock

good luck - 06/02/07 03:57 PM

well coming from a big guy[6'5-230],keep your distance,and be fast.i know this cause even though i had a good stand up game,i still can get,[at times],handled by littler guys cause their fast,maybe not alot of power,but fast.so stick to speed and distance and you should be fine.and lift weights,that'll get you some meat on your bones[if your a smaller guy].i take Goshin Ju Jitsu,and MMA and little guys usually get more hits,but i kinda handle them.but that's just me.and good luck bro.
Posted by: McSensei

Re: good luck - 06/02/07 09:59 PM

Re: good luck - 06/02/07 11:28 PM

Quote:

well coming from a big guy[6'5-230],keep your distance,and be fast.i know this cause even though i had a good stand up game,i still can get,[at times],handled by littler guys cause their fast,maybe not alot of power,but fast.so stick to speed and distance and you should be fine.and lift weights,that'll get you some meat on your bones[if your a smaller guy].i take Goshin Ju Jitsu,and MMA and little guys usually get more hits,but i kinda handle them.but that's just me.and good luck bro.

Dude dude... I think I'm very capable of handling my own. Thanks for the advice though Didn't really need it by the way.

-Taison out
Posted by: crablord

Re: good luck - 06/03/07 01:36 AM

lol @ the advice

Quote:

I think I'm very capable of handling my own

youve obviously never met me in the ring tyson

Re: good luck - 06/03/07 02:27 PM

Quote:

Well, I don't know how'd you fare in the ring against Tyson. Ask someone else that, since I wouldn't know.

-Taison out
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: good luck - 06/03/07 02:53 PM

Quote:

I think you'd pwn judging by your experiences and unmatched intellegence.
Posted by: crablord

Re: good luck - 06/03/07 11:24 PM

it goes without saying