The Power of the mind

Posted by: djemboy2

The Power of the mind - 11/09/06 08:29 AM

ok so many of you will be thinking that this is one of those i stopped an attacker with the power of my mind, well no it isnt, but its quite an interesting story(at least i think it is, i was in the UK practising with a breakdance crew i was in, and because we wanted an edge over all the other crews, i introduced Nunchaku's into our shows,Plastic of course, anyway we were in a dance studio when in walked 4 guys, couldnt have been much older than 20, and they stood and watched us for about 5 minutes, then the insults started flying, we tried our best to ignore them but after a while my friend lost it, he walked straight up to the mouthiest one, they began to start fighting, and the others began too, the mouthy one did something i never expected to see, he literally picked up my friend and slammed him on the ground, Wrestling style, now this is where things get very freaky, before i knew it i was round the back of the mouthy one and had brought him down to the ground, i was sat behind him with his right elbow extended against my knee,his right writs was bent backwards, my left arm was interlocked in his left arm putting him in a shoulder lock, my friend then did something which finished the friendship and broke up a damn good dance team, he kicked him in the face, i had the guy controlled, so i found it to be worse than barbaric, anyway, how i got him in that position i have no idea, but what i put it down to is this, everyday i go thru the what would i do scenario in my mind, and i have a visual of the situation and preferred result, i also train with imaginary opponents(Yes captain michaels been on the holodeck far too long now)what i mean by that is that i imagine a punch and go thru the motions required to defend against it, i truly believe that if you train within yiour mind, and i mean as seriously as you train in real life then you build up a library of defenses, which seem to become a natural reaction to a situation, i may be wrong and i have no desire to go and get into brawls to find out, but i will say this i have had 5 fights in the 43 years i have been on this amazing planet, 1 of them i lost thru thinking i was Bruce Lee(never try a head height sode kick on grass after its just rained), the other 4 i have won and altho i am not proud that i won, i won without thinking about what i was doing.
just thought you might like to hear about that.
Michael
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: The Power of the mind - 11/09/06 02:36 PM

Quote:

ok so many of you will be thinking that this is one of those i stopped an attacker with the power of my mind, well no it isnt, but its quite an interesting story(at least i think it is, i was in the UK practising with a breakdance crew i was in, and because we wanted an edge over all the other crews, i introduced Nunchaku's into our shows,Plastic of course, anyway we were in a dance studio when in walked 4 guys, couldnt have been much older than 20, and they stood and watched us for about 5 minutes, then the insults started flying, we tried our best to ignore them but after a while my friend lost it, he walked straight up to the mouthiest one, they began to start fighting, and the others began too, the mouthy one did something i never expected to see, he literally picked up my friend and slammed him on the ground, Wrestling style, now this is where things get very freaky, before i knew it i was round the back of the mouthy one and had brought him down to the ground, i was sat behind him with his right elbow extended against my knee,his right writs was bent backwards, my left arm was interlocked in his left arm putting him in a shoulder lock, my friend then did something which finished the friendship and broke up a damn good dance team, he kicked him in the face, i had the guy controlled, so i found it to be worse than barbaric, anyway, how i got him in that position i have no idea, but what i put it down to is this, everyday i go thru the what would i do scenario in my mind, and i have a visual of the situation and preferred result, i also train with imaginary opponents(Yes captain michaels been on the holodeck far too long now)what i mean by that is that i imagine a punch and go thru the motions required to defend against it, i truly believe that if you train within yiour mind, and i mean as seriously as you train in real life then you build up a library of defenses, which seem to become a natural reaction to a situation, i may be wrong and i have no desire to go and get into brawls to find out, but i will say this i have had 5 fights in the 43 years i have been on this amazing planet, 1 of them i lost thru thinking i was Bruce Lee(never try a head height sode kick on grass after its just rained), the other 4 i have won and altho i am not proud that i won, i won without thinking about what i was doing.
just thought you might like to hear about that.
Michael

I can't. I was going to but I just can't.

Okay I will

Is this you? =>

Re: The Power of the mind - 11/09/06 02:50 PM

not at all
Posted by: eyrie

Re: The Power of the mind - 11/09/06 07:53 PM

The mind...such a terrible thing to waste...
Posted by: BrianS

Re: The Power of the mind - 11/10/06 12:40 PM

How long have you been doing martial arts?
Posted by: oldman

Re: The Power of the mind - 11/10/06 01:22 PM

I think that post may go down in FightingArts history as the longest run on sentence ever.

Re: The Power of the mind - 11/10/06 10:40 PM

ive been doing martial arts for 30 years
Posted by: UofM Shorin Ryu

Re: The Power of the mind - 11/11/06 12:27 AM

Quote:

ive been doing martial arts for 30 years

In that case, you're one of the older breakers out there eh?
Not a large crowd of us at 30+.....

What crew you with? I got a breaker friend in the UK. He might know y'all (cause he says the scene there is really small). Been to any of the events out there?

You in a Florida crew? I know a Michigan kat that moved to Florida for a while, think he was in Soul Rockers crew or somethin like that....

FYI for the rest of the forum:

English is not a strong suit among breakdancers. Y'all would probably gouge your eyes out if you ever attempt to venture to some Break forums...

Djemboy:

How do you (if you do that is) incorporate Martial Arts into your breakdancing? Besides the use of weapons in shows? Just curious, bein a Michigan breaker myself.... BATTLE BATTLE BATTLE!!

Re: The Power of the mind - 11/11/06 06:52 AM

havent done breakin in such a long time, but when i did, we used to the chinese forms set to music, basically we were sat around one night watching 'Young master' and we had some music playing, and there it was, turn the sound down on any of the old chinese kunf fu movies play some music with a strong beat and you'll see them fighting in time to the music. and thats how we incorporated it into our routines.
Posted by: rageace

Re: The Power of the mind - 11/13/06 09:40 AM

Have you got any videos of your break dancing?
Posted by: Shaolinboy

Re: The Power of the mind - 02/21/07 08:44 AM

Its interesting you use your mind. Its as if all your fights have already taken place in your mind. It is said we only use a small portion of our minds. I read somewhere Chuck Norris use to visualise his opponents before he went into tournaments so I guess theres something to be said for this. Maybe this is somethign we should all meditate on.