A refreshing fight story.

Posted by: pepto_bismol

A refreshing fight story. - 10/28/06 02:05 AM

Well I am tired but don't want to get to in to detail. So I will summarize somethings. A group of people seem to have nothing better to do then throw trash (milk, old water and lunch) on me and my friends. I got tired of it and told them to stop throwing trash on us, and the other guy said
"why is it because your white and were brown?" I said
"No, I just don't want you throwing *censored* on me and my friends.

He was said "why?" I said "because I told you so."
Bassically he jumped off a staircase and threw some unorthadox punches (If I were to summarize, I would stay elephant style)

I am a wing chun practitioner, and found it extremely hard to stick to centerline principle. He jumped off some stairs and had momentum, speed, and power on his side, after the first few hits (bloody nose, sore temple) I decided I had to end it.

I got him in to a headlock (side guillotine almost) and was going to let him calm down, then release him, but he kept punching me as I held him. So I decided to make him pay, and I bashed the top of his head against the metal railing 3 or 4 times. It was funny because first he was focusing on hitting me, then he just didn't want to go head first in to the railing.

Then I decided to give him a break, since he was already trying to back away from my grip, I decided to let him go, and follow immediatly with a spinning elbow.

His guard dropped and he stood there and I gave him the option not to fight once again. I said "keep throwing trash, keep fighting" "stop throwing trash, stop fighting"

He said he will not back down, yet he will stop throwing trash

I think this was a typical standing up to a bully scenario, and the price I had to pay for a trash free enviroment is a bloody nose (had worse while TRAINING to fight)

The reason I am posting this though is because it disturbs me how he hit AS HARD AS HE COULD. As many times as he could. If I was untrained and a bad fighter (well a worse fighter, I don't consider myself a very good fighter)
I could have been knocked out or killed. Every move I did against him I held back, just hurting him enough to want to stop, all I wanted was for him to stop throwing trash.

All he wanted to do is kill me. All of the fights I have been in, the opponent lost control and would not hold back, what is it that makes these kids so viscious.

When I was slamming his head against the steel, I did it fairly light, and I did it just enough for him to want to stop fighting. After I threw my elbow and he dropped his guard, I gave him the option to quit while retaining his dignity. I do not think that these other kids would do the same.

I wonder if it's the telivision, the music, or some kind of programming. But these kids seem to underestimate both their potential for serious damage, and their opponet. Is it because they never fight any good fighters? It has to be some kind of programming.

I am surprised that I was able to take those punches to the face, without them phasing me. Because everybody around heard his fist make contact with my face.

I wonder if this has to do with my martial arts training, or simply my addrenaline. I am not posting this to stroke my ego, For I think I dodged a bullet, if he had been a good fighter, his punches would of knocked me out.

I am more reflecting on what happened, what I should have done differently. Should I have spared him? How could I have blocked his punches. Why is it that I smashed his head against the steel when I was never tought any fighting technique involving a wall?

Interesting stuff, and best fight I have ever been in. It may have only lasted 2 and a half minutes, but it is a special moment to me, and I want to reflect on it, and prepare for another one if it happens again.

It is so funny, how much different real fighting is from practice in the dojo and the kung fu school.

I think today I have learned another one of life lessons, and I am glad that I didn't get hurt to bad.
Posted by: Jeff_G

Re: A refreshing fight story. - 10/28/06 03:28 AM

Sounds like you did what you needed to deal with the situation. Your training let you deliver your techniques with a range of power, not flat out.

I used to have a lesson where I put chairs, boxes, bags and whatever else was laying around into the middle of the sparring area. The lesson was that the world is full of STUFF. It is available for you to use if you open yourself up to the options. You seem to have hit upon this.

It is late here and I need to get up early to go teach a SCUBA class in the morning.

Jeff G.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: A refreshing fight story. - 10/28/06 08:17 AM

Good for you Pepto. You didn't panic in the face on and un predictable opponent. You took care of it without serious injury (bloody nose aside!) to anyone, and the guy learnt his lesson. Gurantee he won't throw thrash at you again in a hurry.
Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: A refreshing fight story. - 10/28/06 03:20 PM

What sucks though is people saw me with a bloody nose, and assumed I got the worst of it.

Do boxers burn their nose or something to keep it from bleeding? I heard some sort of story about that.
Posted by: Kulma

Re: A refreshing fight story. - 11/04/06 05:54 AM

If one bleeds too bad or too easyly. The vains can be burned to stop bleeding. It´s used by doctors in other cases than boxers too.
Posted by: Shouji

Re: A refreshing fight story. - 11/30/06 09:46 PM

That was pretty cool. I had no idea that Wing Chung had a submission part to it. I'd say in a world like this, you did the right thing. I sense that you could've done some sustaining damage to him, but holding back, you did good and bad. Good, because it saved you some juvenile time and medical bills for your opponent, but bad because of the sheer fact that you held back. Seeing how this world is not as leneant as it were 50 years back, you did right.
Posted by: mark

Re: A refreshing fight story. - 12/01/06 03:57 AM

Great story!

That’s the point of training in defence skills properly!! (Not some air basics. Kata orientated, belt chasing style)

It accustoms you to violence, so you don’t freeze
It gets you used to being hit, so you don’t fall over at the slightest touch.
It develops your offence skills, so you can actually win an encounter (shock horror)

But don’t forget that these “brown skinned” people were probably misunderstood, underprivileged, come from a dysfunctional family and society owes them….

So it really isn’t their fault that they have that attitude and behaviour standard.

Regards

Mark
Posted by: aoishi

Re: A refreshing fight story. - 12/01/06 08:22 AM

Quote:

But don’t forget that these “brown skinned” people were probably misunderstood, underprivileged, come from a dysfunctional family and society owes them….

So it really isn’t their fault that they have that attitude and behaviour standard.

Regards

Mark

I like the way you subtly "slipped in" your racist garbage, "Mark".
Real classy.
It's cool though, I'm sure it'll come back to you. Karma kicks ass.

Re: A refreshing fight story. - 12/01/06 09:42 AM

Well, aoishi, thats a fine statment coming from an American, with little knowledge of Britain, still Ignorance is bliss.
Im sure that you would condone their actions on race alone...

Mark
Posted by: BulldogTKD

Re: A refreshing fight story. - 12/01/06 10:19 AM

Quote:

Great story!

That’s the point of training in defence skills properly!! (Not some air basics. Kata orientated, belt chasing style)

It accustoms you to violence, so you don’t freeze
It gets you used to being hit, so you don’t fall over at the slightest touch.
It develops your offence skills, so you can actually win an encounter (shock horror)

Regards

Mark

WOW! Your remarks are offensive and also validates one of my many reasons to continue training and teaching martial arts.

People with your type of thinking are dangerious.

Re: A refreshing fight story. - 12/01/06 11:59 AM

You're making lots of friends, mark !

If I were you, I would quietly close the computer and walk away for a few days. Maybe we'll forget about it...

Re: A refreshing fight story. - 12/01/06 12:10 PM

Training in the MA is dangerous, the more "practical" the “style or system” the more dangerous it is, and the more likely the experienced practitioner is to actually be able to defeat a determined attacker.

Keep up the Palgwe Il Jang practice, BulldogTKD im really sure it will help you in the real world,

As for my reference to “brown skin” I see that I totally misread what pepto_bismol said “"why is it because your white and were brown?" I said

So he was in fact subjected to racial attack by white guys, REALLY SORRY FOR THE MISTAKE!!!

Read this instead:--

But don’t forget that these “WHITE skinned” people were probably misunderstood, underprivileged, come from a dysfunctional family and society owes them….

AGAIN SORRY FOR THAT RATHER LARGE ERROR

Mark

Re: A refreshing fight story. - 12/01/06 12:19 PM

You should have just taken my advice...

You're still digging the hole...
Posted by: JoelM

Re: A refreshing fight story. - 12/01/06 12:23 PM

Actually I believe Pepto is the white person in the story.

Either way racism or sarcastic racism has no place on this board. I suggest you think before you type next time, mark.

Re: A refreshing fight story. - 12/01/06 12:32 PM

aoishi, As your advice was given so freely, i didnt consider it of any value, i still dont.

stange that I confess my error. make an apology and you still moan!!! Are you perhaps one of the people of which i speak?

Joel please explain how my comments are actually rascist?
BTW your suggestion is duly noted and rejected.

Mark

Re: A refreshing fight story. - 12/01/06 12:37 PM

If that was an apology, then you're denser than I thought. A deep and unabashed racist... nice. I wouldn't expect you to know good advice when you see it.

And now you're asking me if I'm black? Is that it? You're a piece of work. What if I am?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: A refreshing fight story. - 12/01/06 12:49 PM

Locking this.