Kick em in the 'blessings"

Posted by: Ronin1966

Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/20/06 10:03 PM

Hello:

During a warm summer day, a beginner group of fairly young children was being tested on their understanding-knowledge of the skills taught them during that session.

"Unable to get-run away", "unable to talk their way out", certain they would be hurt, they were asked "...where in the middle of the body you should hit someone..." One very enthuastic young boy raised his hand and practically bouncing himself off the floor (ala a human basketball) was called upon. "...yes Marcus (invented name)... where do you hit someone... "

His earnest loud response "... HIT EM IN THE EUCHARIST ..."

When the tears finally stopped several minutes later, and the room returned to a quiet chuckle, (everyone could finally breathe again) the next question was... eventually asked....

"Ok.. where on the lower body do you strike, forced to physically defend yourself..."

The young boy again raised his hand, again absolutely certain he knew the right answer. Again he was called upon. "..where on the lower body Marcus..."

"... KICK HIM IN THE BLESSINGS ..."

Anybody else have/had funny teaching kid stories...?
Jeff (My sides still hurt thinking about it)
Posted by: clmibb

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/20/06 11:02 PM

Cute story, Ronin. When my instrustor promotes a new female BB (which isn't that often) he tells us that when we are sparring and if one of the guys (we used to have a lot of guys that would just pound on you and didn't care who you were) is going too hard for class to tell them to back off a little that there was no need to kill each other in class. If they didn't listen give them one more warning and if they still don't listen, kick as hard as you can in the "blessings". I had one guy that played varsity football in high school in my class. I was also in high school at the time and might have weighed 115 pounds MAYBE. I was sparring this guy and he was just goin at it full force. I had told him twice to back off. When he decided to punch me as hard as he could I waited for him to throw a kick and I threw one at the same time. My shin hit his "blessings"-hard. My instructor asked if he was wearing a cup and he said no that he had lost it. My instructor got up and walked away. He got back up and was ready for more. He threw another hard kick and I hit him again. He naturally dropped to the floor, my instructor looked at him and smiled and walked away. He dropped out of class shortly after. Said football was taking up too much of his time.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/20/06 11:13 PM

...was that at a karate kicks for christ mcdojo? lol j/k funny story.

There was one particularly funny thing my son came out with during a test last year at a local family vanilla-ryu dojo. during the test, the kids are asked 2 or 3 questions about the style, founders, training, etc. one of the questions was "What is the most important peice of equipment for training hopefully found in a dojo?" the pre-described answer at this place was suppossed to be "a mirror".
my son answered "An instructor."

It got a good laugh and later he asked why people laughed. I told him it was because he got it right.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/21/06 05:30 AM

Looks like Morris Jnr is going to carry on the witty legacy then!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/21/06 08:17 AM

Great thread. Hilarious!
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/21/06 09:31 AM

I thought we were not supposed to mix religion with MA?
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/21/06 01:08 PM

I just love the answers that kids give sometimes. Two in particular stand out, both during testing. We too have a "knowledge" portion of our test, and one kid was asked to name the three countries represented by the flags on the wall. That student very confidantly answered "South Korean, American, and Conneticut" (It was supposed to be Canada).

Then I believe it was at that very same testing, at the very end, when we find out if we passed or not, my instructor goes up to the first kid, a very tiny white belt, and asks the testing board "Johnny, Pass Fail?" And before anyone on the testing board could answer, little Johnny yells out very loudly "PASS SIR!"

Laura

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/21/06 01:36 PM

Classic!

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/21/06 08:15 PM

Hello Ed:

Meaningful to your son...

Excellent answer!!!!
Jeff
Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/22/06 12:36 AM

Quote:

Cute story, Ronin. When my instrustor promotes a new female BB (which isn't that often) he tells us that when we are sparring and if one of the guys (we used to have a lot of guys that would just pound on you and didn't care who you were) is going too hard for class to tell them to back off a little that there was no need to kill each other in class. If they didn't listen give them one more warning and if they still don't listen, kick as hard as you can in the "blessings". I had one guy that played varsity football in high school in my class. I was also in high school at the time and might have weighed 115 pounds MAYBE. I was sparring this guy and he was just goin at it full force. I had told him twice to back off. When he decided to punch me as hard as he could I waited for him to throw a kick and I threw one at the same time. My shin hit his "blessings"-hard. My instructor asked if he was wearing a cup and he said no that he had lost it. My instructor got up and walked away. He got back up and was ready for more. He threw another hard kick and I hit him again. He naturally dropped to the floor, my instructor looked at him and smiled and walked away. He dropped out of class shortly after. Said football was taking up too much of his time.

I am horrified and disgusted. I am horrified that your instructor would promote kicking people in the groin.

I am disgusted that you actually did it.

If you can't handle sparring with the men, then don't train with the men. If a girl kicked me in the groin on purpose, then I would brake their nose on purpose.

I would like to go up to your instructor and kick him in the groin.

Just my humble opinion.

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/22/06 01:38 AM

Women have some inalienable rights which men do not have. I am sure if the situation was reversed, the instructor would have stopped it.

As men, we intuitively know that there are parts of the body of other men we should not attack, unless it is a life and death situation. Just as we also know that there are parts of the female body we, as men, should not attack in a training environment.
Posted by: Marishiten

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/22/06 07:24 AM

pepto_bismol, I'm sure matters aren't as bad as they seem. Things like hat...you have to be in it to understand.

I mean, for a psychology experiment on behaviour modification/conditioning I decided to use punishment instead of positive reinforcement. In my dojo.

The aim? to decrease the amount of times my knees weren't bent. Method? A whack to the back of the legs with a bamboo piece from a broken shinai every time my knees weren't bent. Needless to say I had the best results in the class.

We all had a laugh during the experimentation, it's no biggy, people need to losen up.

HOWEVER, I don't understand why it is the "blessings" you're encouraged to hit. Is your instructor a woman? If it's a man, I don't understand AT ALL. I hear it's not a good feeling and I try not to get people's "b;essings" if i can help it.
Posted by: TheFinalOption

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/22/06 07:27 AM

So here we have this GIANT ENEMY CRAB...

...and we attack it's weak spots for MASSIVE DAMAGE...

That's what it's like for some women- a video game. You fight the boss, and you attack the pre-defined weak spot to win. Same goes for fighting men...it's too easy, and it should be banned. Like, Geneva Convention banned...

Then there's also the range of motion advantage gained from not having to wear a cup.
Posted by: jonnyboxcutter

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/22/06 12:55 PM

Quote:

If you can't handle sparring with the men, then don't train with the men.

Hey PB, If you cant spar with control, don’t get upset when you partner looses it as well.

Also, I don’t see how a shot to the nadds = breaking a chicks nose.

-JBC-
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/22/06 01:18 PM

If anyone ever intentionally hit me in the dangly bits, (cup or no) I'd never spar with them again. I need to be able to trust my training partner.

I wouldn't go seeking revenge, though. Two graves, and all that.
Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/22/06 05:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you can't handle sparring with the men, then don't train with the men.

Hey PB, If you cant spar with control, don’t get upset when you partner looses it as well.

Also, I don’t see how a shot to the nadds = breaking a chicks nose.

-JBC-

She will always remember never to kick me in the groin again...

duh

If a girl is to kick a guy in the groin which I consider NOT a target, then I don't see why I can't punch her in the nose, after all that is ussualy NOT a target.

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/22/06 08:31 PM

Please remember the context of the thread...

Similar stories!

Jeff
Posted by: Kazama

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/25/06 10:07 PM

Well, groin strikes ARE fair game...

This is how i some it up: Ethical=nope
Effective=Heck yea

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/26/06 03:57 PM

Ok yes my instructor is male. The guy I hit had also broken several ribs of a yellow belt a few weeks prior. He was big headded and cocky. I have no choice but to train with guys. I'm the only female in the advanced class. At the time I was 17 and weighed about 105 lbs. this guy was also about my age but weighed about 180. A big difference in size. I felt it was either busted ribs or a kick to the jimmy to get him to back off. My instructor hasn't encouraged it as much as he used to since this guy has quit. He came back one other time and it was restressed and he left. I don't go around kicking guys in the nuts for the fun of it and I haven't done it intentionally since. Yes I have accidentally kicked another guy there a few times but it was completely accidental and my sparring partner understood.
Posted by: Spade

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/26/06 04:57 PM

I'd imagine that the sparring rules were light/medium contact PB, not full force.

Anyway, I was helping my instructor teach an Isshinryu class to an elementary school, the first question was "Who founded Isshinryu karate?" one little black kid raised his hand high in the air, and was called on "Tatsimo shimmaboo, shimmabooboo summthin like that!" which threw us into histarics. The next question was "Where was Isshinryu karate from?" Another little kid raised his hand, and was called on, his answer "Oklahoma Japan!"

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/28/06 12:06 AM

Quote:

"Where was Isshinryu karate from?" Another little kid raised his hand, and was called on, his answer "Oklahoma Japan!"

Maybe he heard 'fishingrod karate?'

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/28/06 11:27 AM

Hello Butterfly Palm:

<<Maybe he heard 'fishingrod karate?'

I know I'm going to regret this but ahhhh... what is ~Fishingrod Karate~ ??? (Played with the words for a while now and cannot find the pun....)

Jeff

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/28/06 11:30 AM

Hello Spade:

<<"Tatsimo shimmaboo, shimmabooboo summthin like that!"

I love it!

<<"Oklahoma Japan!"

Thank you... love em! More, more!!!!!
Jeff

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/28/06 02:57 PM

I was helping a student out during the oral examination portion of his test. He had to name vital points on the body and had missed a couple. I pointed to my upper lip and he says "PHILTRUM, MA'AM!!" "And you missed this one." (pointing to my solar plexis) "SOLAR SYSTEM, MA'AM!!"

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/28/06 03:06 PM

Quote:

Oklahoma Japan

Classic!

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/29/06 06:56 AM

Sorry it was a bad one. That 'Oklahoma Japan' was too funny to pass up.

Anyway, 'isshinryu' 'fishingroo' ? (just don't let Victor see this)
Posted by: crablord

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/29/06 10:38 AM

lmao fishing roo?

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 09/30/06 06:05 AM

People in Oklahoma Japan have problems with words ending in 'd'

That's why we don't have 'isshinryud'

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 11/19/07 10:53 AM

Testing last week their response to a simple grab & pull, a very young girl was heard to gleefully exclaim "...YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOO..." as she was pulled forward rapidly into her strong horse stance (neutralizing the pull)!

Jeff

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 11/19/07 11:06 AM

During testing over the weekend classes were asked assorted very simple questions on an individual basis, while going down the line checking their fist positions.

"...Jimmy, where do our punches go in the middle of the body? Where should you put your punches..."

Unsure, young Jimmy thinks a moment and then responds loudly his smile joyous now having remembered the correct answer "...THE SOLAR BREAKFAST..." he chimes pointing to his belly button...

The things they do say...

Jeff

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 11/19/07 01:12 PM

At our previous tournament, one of my students was kicked rather hard and was heard to exclaim "Oh My!"

Laura

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 11/20/07 12:22 PM

Hello Laura:

Apparently they weren't kicked hard enough

(Thats funny... "oh my")
Jeff
Posted by: Torquemada

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 12/07/07 01:17 AM

The guy must be pretty dumb if he let you kick him in the groin twice. And, to you guys here, you should never let a woman dominate you. Put your pants back on, sheesh. No wonder western civilization is crumbling.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 12/07/07 11:32 AM

I think when you wrote 'a woman' you really ment to write 'anyone'. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 12/07/07 11:35 AM

Personally, I find the most effective way to dominate a male is to take his paycheck. Nothing hurts more. LOL!

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 12/07/07 11:53 AM

Quote:

Personally, I find the most effective way to dominate a male is to take his paycheck. Nothing hurts more. LOL!

Damn, ippon!
Posted by: Bunny_Warrior

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 12/07/07 12:20 PM

As far as kicking in the groin goes, I will kick or punch people in the groin first chance I get, if I think you pose a threat that is, or if you wanna seriously hurt me, or if I am facing 3+ attackers or something like that. It's not my fault people don't know how to defend themselves against such attacks.

And how is actually easy to kick someone in the groin? It's not easy at all if your opponent knows how to defend that area. If you don't want people to kick you in the groin, stick to ring fights and stay there, and stay out of street fights.

People should learn to defend their groin areas, just like they learn to defend other body parts. If you didn't make your effort you learn how to defend that area, it means you have an obvious weak spot, and I'll use it.

So, please forgive me if I am a bit rude, but stop acting like babies, and learn to defend yourselves, because in a real situation, or a real fight, no one gives a damn about fair or unfair - and kicking in the groin is NOT unfair, it's a valid tactic just like any other, as long as you have a good reason to kick someone down there.

Ok, over and out ^^
Posted by: pocket

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 03/08/08 07:07 PM

dont agree with kicking someone in the balls at all but also belive that any man who would go full strengh on a girl then break her nose coz she kicked him in the balls needs counciling and anger management lessons i regularly spar with women i enjoy it and appricate there skills rather than feeling the need to over power them with pure strengh neither of us could possably learn anything from that......
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 03/09/08 12:17 AM

I think equipment needs to be worn anytime you train. At a certain level all target in training should be aimed at practiced with the appropiate equipment worn.

We train kicking and striking at weak part of the body, and grion kikcing is something that our school stress, it is a legal point in most school like ours hand, knee or foot. We don't twist he neck deeply and we don't strike against joints, we do kick/shoulder strike the bend of the knee.

At a certain point in our training I give up my body for the pee-wees, young teens and women with cup and hand pad in the croucht area. I will go down the line striking at the their head with hand gear on there job is to not get hit either sweep and stomp in the groin, punch or kick me there witn combo. They are applauded if they stun or drop me. Sounds crazy to some, several time adults and this time parents tell me that their daughter was expelled from school for fighting. Come to find out that this large 12-13 year guy grabbed her hair and pushed. Guess what happened. Yes dropped him like a rock. When his parent came to the meeting to have discipline handed out (they have a no tolarance policy everybody goes). They were embararassed that there big strong son was taken out by Minnie. Minnie was warned to not use her training unless she is in another situation like that. The teacher that was minitoring the playground was smiling at her and her parents said they don't feel she was at fault by understand the terms.

Does kicking/strikng in the grion works differently, some people have different torlance for it I've seen it drop them like a rock, I've seen them stunned for a moment. My POINT IS THATS ALL YOU NEED to continued your assault. Don't stand their admiring your work.

At our dojo we spend a lot of time grabbing, twisting, and striking near r near the crocht area of the Gi or street clothes. Others can train the way they want, when we kick to the head you learn to have a hand down there to block incoming. I thought that was how Karate works?
Posted by: trevek

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 03/09/08 06:41 AM

Harlan, you are a fiend... I bet afer you've had the paycheck you hide the TV remote and warm-up the beer!

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 03/09/08 05:14 PM

About a week ago, we were practicing for a stop point tournament, which didn't require chest protectors. As we were getting our gear on, my instructor yells out, "You don't need your chest protectors!" which was followed up by this tiny voice from the boys changing room

"Do we need private protectors?"

Laura

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 03/09/08 05:17 PM

I just had a vision of two sunglassed-security guys in tuxedos peeping out from his trousers!
Posted by: janxspirit

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 03/10/08 01:50 PM

Quote:

Hello:

During a warm summer day, a beginner group of fairly young children was being tested on their understanding-knowledge of the skills taught them during that session.

"Unable to get-run away", "unable to talk their way out", certain they would be hurt, they were asked "...where in the middle of the body you should hit someone..." One very enthuastic young boy raised his hand and practically bouncing himself off the floor (ala a human basketball) was called upon. "...yes Marcus (invented name)... where do you hit someone... "

His earnest loud response "... HIT EM IN THE EUCHARIST ..."

When the tears finally stopped several minutes later, and the room returned to a quiet chuckle, (everyone could finally breathe again) the next question was... eventually asked....

"Ok.. where on the lower body do you strike, forced to physically defend yourself..."

The young boy again raised his hand, again absolutely certain he knew the right answer. Again he was called upon. "..where on the lower body Marcus..."

"... KICK HIM IN THE BLESSINGS ..."

Anybody else have/had funny teaching kid stories...?
Jeff (My sides still hurt thinking about it)

A "special" kid in a karate class I took once was kicked in the grooin by accident. He shouted "MY GROWING!"

Poor Ryan.
Posted by: Voorhees

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 04/01/08 09:27 PM

What I hate is how entitled women on male backed power trips and the pussified men who support them will laugh about sexual assaults against men.

It is not all too uncommon to hear a female smugly describe an experience of cowardly assaulting a man's privates without any redeeming value. Or to have a submissive male to describe a similar situation,with the implication being that it is a cool thing,especially if there was some kind of bullying involved,which hardly called for any cheap shots.

Another thing is a lot of people will do what they can to mock and overplay the sensitivity of the testicles,and act as if all offenders are males,and they will make no reference to sensitivity of the vulva. I cannot imagine what this will be doing to the self-esteem of boys internationally,but it is a subject that I think of everyday and it [censored] me off. Can you imagine people celebrating a boy who kicked a girl in the vulva over some trivial reason?

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 04/02/08 10:15 AM

I really don't understand this last reply. It so serious about a topic that is just apart of martial art training. Learning to defend against this attack should just be a part of training. Some jest about it because its just a subject of training incidents that happens. True different people react differently to it but you do get a reaction.

On the serious side women are the victim of vicious violent attacks more so then men (except for Black men but this is usually a Blk on Blk crimes & another sad topic). So any method of defense should be discussed and hashed out even laughed about because it just a part of training. I don't think this will tear down the self esteem of boys or men, it may just make them more aware to block this target. No more then the talking about the times we got our hat handed to us, its just part of training.

As for women being kicked in that area, its more like being kicked in the stomach or lower abdomen it hurts but they don't have to jump on their heels to get the testicle to drop down. Not that you can't drop them hit them there its just not as paralyzing. If its open its a good target on either gender but there is nothing to grab and twist on a woman that twisting away won't escape from and it will just pi$$ her off, now she aiming at throat, eyes and knees!!!
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 04/03/08 04:38 PM

I'm surprised by those who would get mad if their groin was the target during sparring. Ya think it may be a target during a REAL fight? Learn to deal with it.

Kicking a woman in the groin will hurt 'em, too. Testicles aren't the real target; it's the pubic bones which form the floor of the abdominal cavity. Break them, and the legs aren't in synch like they used to be, and half your internal organs want to drop past the break.
Posted by: Triddle

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 04/11/08 05:59 AM

Despite the clear training benefits of allowing the groin as a target zone I personally don't agree with it. I guess it comes down to various values, how important your training is to you and the like, but particularly for males (though also for females) I am of the opinion that any impact to the groin should be avoided by any means necessary.

The testes are an extreme weak point in male animals. Similarly to the eyes, the testes have little ability to recover from impact, coupled with practically no protection from impact. Whereas hitting someone in the head may produce a knock out, or the ribs may produce broken ribs, the brain turns back on and the ribs reform over time, the testes do not do this, they tend to break and stay broken. Ontop of this they break exceptionally easily, mild impact to the testes can cause any number of ill-effects. It's been said that impact to the testes causes such issues as interference with, or complete prevention of testorone production, infertility, birth defects in the offspring, hernia, cancer.

There are various downsides relating to impact to the groin for females as well, but certainly not to the extent as males, women should certainly avoid it, but men should treat it as the plague.

Please note that I do not have empirical evidence of any of this, so take it with a grain of salt, it's entirely possible that impact to the testicles is infact healthy, I just base my opinion on evidence of various studies I've seen here and there. Personally I believe that the groin of males and females should be a no-go zone during sparring, because I'm convinced of extreme negative health impacts, if I were to learn otherwise though, I'd be all for it for the sake of training.

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 04/11/08 03:22 PM

It's a good point vorhees.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 04/11/08 03:36 PM

Plus, they'll probably be urinating blood for a week.

There's a lot of damage that can be caused aside from just painful slaps on the genitals, that's just the tip of the iceburg.

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 04/13/08 10:12 AM

When I was a blue belt (about 1994 or so), I was competing in a tournament. I had a short break and decided to use the restroom while I had the chance. There was a little boy in there about 4 (a little young to compete and be in MA IMO) who just had his cup put on. Just as I walk in, he's knocking on his cup saying, "HELLOOOOOO? Anybody in there? HELLOOOOOOO?"

Casey

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 04/14/08 09:35 AM

Yes but isn't it best to practice against it in class? Because even street fighters kick and grab the groins. I mean isn't that part of the reason we train? You shouldn't go around thinking its against the RULES to hit there.

In such situations when you can block this attack with your legs it leaves them open for your hands in some incidents.

Training against it becomes as natural as countering a head punch. We fight the way we train!

That was cute "Hello is there anyboy in there"!, keep training little one and protect your jewels LOL.
Posted by: The_Master

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 04/23/08 07:05 AM

jewels. the McNuggets. aka YOUR ENTIRE PURPOSE FOR LIVING aka MANHOOD
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 04/24/08 07:21 PM

aka. banana hammock. couldn't resist....
Posted by: The_Master

Re: Kick em in the 'blessings" - 04/25/08 01:31 AM

as much as i would love to get into a genital naming contest, we should stop. XD