'Girls Don't Play Baseball'

Posted by: harlan

'Girls Don't Play Baseball' - 08/03/06 11:46 AM

'You do that move well...you make it look really good.' My teacher smiled, and I really believed him. Taking a break between sets of kobudo basics, we had just done 'baseball' swing. I thought about it for a moment, about baseball, and it brought back memories.

'Can I play?' It was another summer Saturday morning in the early '60's. Another baseball game played in a factory parking lot by the kids on Kensington street. And it was the question I asked every Saturday.

'NO! Girls don't play baseball! But you can watch if you want to.' I looked at the mitt I'd 'borrowed' from my cousin, hoping it would gain entry into 'the game'. Then I glanced over at the designated onlooker area...a chain link fence that several girls had already perched on.

'But I have a mitt...maybe you could use someone in the outfield?' Again, the answer was 'No.' 'Besides...we have enough players.' The boys returned to the game, and I made my way to the fence, being careful to avoid the sharp, unbent ends of the fence, as well as the cold stares of the other girls.

'And you do that move well on both sides.' Brought back to the present, decades slipped away, and I looked at my teacher's quizzical expression.

I smiled back. 'Yes, I really like that technique. It feels good.'
Posted by: Gavin

Re: 'Girls Don't Play Baseball' - 08/03/06 12:40 PM

Posted by: Just1Mike

Re: 'Girls Don't Play Baseball' - 08/03/06 02:56 PM

Those boys were smart for not letting you play. First you play ball with us and then you're trying to beat us up cause we wont kiss you or "marry" you at recess.
Thanks for sharing! It brought back memories.

Good Luck!
Mike.
Posted by: sunspots

Re: 'Girls Don't Play Baseball' - 08/03/06 07:42 PM

I got to play sometimes, but it was always deep right field. I mean squint to see the batter off in the distance deep right field. So I would have been just as well off on the fence.
Posted by: Kazama

Re: 'Girls Don't Play Baseball' - 08/04/06 11:56 AM

Haha! Nice story. I was always the guy saying "Come on guys, let her play." Then the rest of the guys would look at me like I was crazy.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: 'Girls Don't Play Baseball' - 08/07/06 11:02 PM

Baseball swing?? Both sides?? Yammani Ryu in general, Matsumura no Kun in particular?

Just wondering.

Page

Re: 'Girls Don't Play Baseball' - 08/08/06 07:34 AM

Basics, Doc. Basics. Matayoshi kobudo, Choun no kun.

Seems like he was a poor cousin, or something. I was on the Okinawa wonders site...and this style isn't even listed. Guess he didn't rate?
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: 'Girls Don't Play Baseball' - 08/08/06 08:40 AM

...or maybe he didn't advertise?
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: 'Girls Don't Play Baseball' - 08/08/06 11:13 AM

Matayoshi is a strong close cousin. I always liked Choun no Kun and Koba no Kun.

Page

Re: 'Girls Don't Play Baseball' - 08/08/06 11:22 AM

Someday I'll have to visit 'the cousins' and get a proper education.

Choun no kun is my favorite, and then Sakugawa and Ksukane no kun (sp?).