wrong place at wrong time

Posted by: shorin-ji

wrong place at wrong time - 06/08/06 07:57 PM

I went to a party in a tennis court (weird place but its the closest place to party at) and we were standing in a group when a guy walks by and says "[censored]" to a guy standing with us. the guy siad back "dont be a bitch" and the guy who called him a [censored] attacks him. it was going pretty even and everyone decided to let them be since nobody was hurt and they were just rolling around. but then this big guy who i later found out was 21 jumped in the fight and started helping the guy who said "[censored]" and they began kicking and stomping the kid while he was on the ground. i felt like i had to do something so without even thiking about it i jumped between them and end up punched above the eye but luckily more people followed my lead and started pulling them away whick resulted in more people getting injured including one guy having his face bashed on the concrete and blood splatter all over my pants and expencive swade timberland boots.

when it was over we found the kid who was being stomped knocked unconcious and bleeding everywhere. his friends helped him to the street where i am positive he was taken to the hospital.

when it was all over i wasnt sure if it was the best idea to just blindly jump in to break up the fight since i just ended up with a sore eye and blood stained shoes and a yelling at by my mom when i arrived home.

what would you have done? i personally felt as if i had to do something before this kid was brain damaged or killed.
Posted by: Mobious12

Re: wrong place at wrong time - 06/08/06 08:43 PM

I think you did the right thing, I would like to say I would have done the same, but damn ... poor shoes !

Even though you got yelled at, ruined some cloths, and are a little hurt... I think that you definittly did the right thing in trying to stop them.
Posted by: quietstorm

Re: wrong place at wrong time - 06/08/06 10:42 PM

I would have incouraged the person being called "censored" to just walk away from the party and that any altercation isn't worth it. Try to remember that if martial arts is used it should always be life or death situations. Anything else is uncivilized.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: wrong place at wrong time - 06/09/06 05:35 AM

Its a tricky situation to advise on to be honest. If you stand back and do nothing and the guy gets seriously beaten, then you might feel the blood is also on your hands. On the other hand do you wade in possibly where your not wanted and take a pounding for something that wasn't anything to do with you in the first place.

Working as a Doorman it sometimes isn't always an option for me and I've broken up fights whilst working only to have the agression turned back on me. I've seen plenty of others take a smack for getting in the way too.

The other thing to consider is that you never know all the facts. Last year I hada a situation that I got involved with. A friend (well atleast someone I consider to be a friend) told me that his Dad (who was living with him at the time) had been beaten up by his neighbour and a friend in his living room. Then once his Dad had called the police and was pressing charges, the guy called with a machette and asked him to drop the charges. My friend asked if there was anything I could do about it. I found out who the guy was and it turned out to be a guy I know quite well through Doorwork. I had message put through to this guy saying the his next door neighbour was a friend of mine and that he'd drop the charges if the other guy stopped with the threats and hassle. When a friend passed on the message for me I found out that my mates Dad had gone round to this other guys house whilst drunk and threaten his girlfriend with a bottle... a fact his Dad had neglected to inform me of. Point being is I put myself in a situation that could easily have gone bad which didn't really have anything to do with me.

Unless I'm getting paid for it, I very really tend to get involved in anything that doesn't concern me now. The hard part is most MA's a decent people, who don't like to see others have bad things happen to them. And old saying is "Don't trouble trouble, till trouble troubles you!"

Gav
Posted by: harlan

Re: wrong place at wrong time - 06/09/06 09:21 AM

Two decisions: 'should I get involved', and when it became two to one 'how can I not get involved'? Both of them really being 'what is the right action'?

Do you feel that you did 'the right thing'? That is what matters.
Posted by: White_Fox

Re: wrong place at wrong time - 06/10/06 06:42 PM

Quote:

I went to a party in a tennis court (weird place but its the closest place to party at) and we were standing in a group when a guy walks by and says "[censored]" to a guy standing with us. the guy siad back "dont be a bitch" and the guy who called him a [censored] attacks him. it was going pretty even and everyone decided to let them be since nobody was hurt and they were just rolling around. but then this big guy who i later found out was 21 jumped in the fight and started helping the guy who said "[censored]" and they began kicking and stomping the kid while he was on the ground. i felt like i had to do something so without even thiking about it i jumped between them and end up punched above the eye but luckily more people followed my lead and started pulling them away whick resulted in more people getting injured including one guy having his face bashed on the concrete and blood splatter all over my pants and expencive swade timberland boots.

when it was over we found the kid who was being stomped knocked unconcious and bleeding everywhere. his friends helped him to the street where i am positive he was taken to the hospital.

when it was all over i wasnt sure if it was the best idea to just blindly jump in to break up the fight since i just ended up with a sore eye and blood stained shoes and a yelling at by my mom when i arrived home.

what would you have done? i personally felt as if i had to do something before this kid was brain damaged or killed.

You did the right thing how bad would you feel if you did nothing and the kid was killed????????
Posted by: Supremor

Re: wrong place at wrong time - 06/12/06 04:34 AM

Can I ask if alcohol was involved at the party?
Posted by: Triddle

Re: wrong place at wrong time - 06/13/06 09:06 AM

Quote:

I would have incouraged the person being called "censored" to just walk away from the party and that any altercation isn't worth it. Try to remember that if martial arts is used it should always be life or death situations. Anything else is uncivilized.

I assume that things happened too quickly for him to be able to do this? if not I suppose it would be worth a try, but still might not work.

I think you did the right thing, hell, you didnt even attack the guys, if it was me I admit i would have responded worse, i'd have been trying to kill them :\ the thought of people 'stomping' other people makes me angry enough to stomp the stompers stupid as that may sound... and then id have probably ended up being stomped myself , that or I might just not have responded at all, fear and all you know
jumping inbetween them has to be the best action imo, doesnt anger them too much, so your not gunna take too much of a beating, but it inspires others to jump in aswell. Good work if you ask me.
Posted by: webby

Re: wrong place at wrong time - 06/27/06 12:31 PM

i think u did the right thing....well your mum mite of told u off, but think about all the respect youll get from the kid n his friends....good job
Posted by: kungfu_klub

Re: wrong place at wrong time - 07/17/06 03:39 AM

i really hate fights... but i guess when it comes to helping someone out.. you gotta do it then.must have been a messy sight and those poor shoes...must have freaked your mum out!
Posted by: KarlHTKDSTUDENT

Re: wrong place at wrong time - 07/18/06 03:56 PM

To be honest the thought of someone stomping on someones head just really steps over the line for me. If I was there I can truthfully say, with little shame, I would have thrown a punch or two at the attackers, thats just wrong, the kid could have been seriously wounded mentally and physically and even killed.
-Karl
Posted by: formless

Re: wrong place at wrong time - 08/15/06 11:17 PM

i am curious as well to whether or not this party had alchohol

and the second i saw that the dudes were stomping that kid with no intention of stopping would have been my breaking point, time to open up that fresh can of whoop-ass you keep in your back pocket for emergencies.
Posted by: crablord

Re: wrong place at wrong time - 08/16/06 02:05 AM

Im sure most people would step in at that point, Its one thing to watch a couple people have a good old brawl, but when things turn nasty... You did well though to step in.