Rainy days

Posted by: BrianS

Rainy days - 06/01/06 02:25 AM

We had a good class today and I'd like to share it with you.
For those of you who do not know,I train outside,have for a long time ,year round. Today when I stepped into my backyard dojo it looked like it was going to rain which was fine with me as long as there was no lightning.
As we started our warmups and basics line drills the rain came and it was a gusher. We haven't had a good rain class in a few months and I was looking forward to this one.We were all drenched in no time at all,slinging water and mud everywhere.Somehow,alot of it ended up on me.
As we were kicking and punching I was thinking about how many students are truly this dedicated that they would put themselves through this. I know many that have whined and left or not shown up at all,but not us.
As we went further into the class the puddles began to form and I knew we just had to get down and dirty. I set up some isolation drills(thanks JKogas),we had one person standing the other looking for the takedown and go for 30seconds after they hit the ground. This was alot of fun and a good learning experience. After all,what would be the conditions outside if you ever had to use your ma training? I doubt you'd be in the A/C and fall on a pad.
After a couple of hours of training it was time to dismiss,I almost didn't want to leave.
Training outside in a downpoor can be a good experience. If you haven't tried it you are missing out.
Soon,after all these years of training I will be holding classes in a rather nice gym,but from time to time,we will go outside,just incase it's raining.
Posted by: quietstorm

Re: Rainy days - 06/01/06 03:29 AM

Good post Brian and great analogies from training to real life sitations. Your level of dedication and understanding amazes me.
Posted by: PastTheWall

Re: Rainy days - 06/01/06 10:53 AM

That's a really good story Brian. I can relate to it as I've also trained in some pretty dicey weather. I sometimes train outdoors because my dojo/gym doesn't open on weekends and I like to get the extra practice in. I've trained more than once (deliberately) during a sudden snowfall which was quite invigorating, and during a fair few rainshowers - which I have to say started after I was already into a session. It was great fun, what kind of ground were you on, quite grassy, mats..? I was on a mix of compacted soil and grass - so the snow was more fun since the rain made the grass so slick it sent people flying
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Rainy days - 06/02/06 01:10 PM

While I have a fair amount of experience training in street clothes outside, I have to admit that we rarely trained in rain. Snow even, but not rain.

Sounds like good stuff.
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Rainy days - 06/02/06 02:47 PM

I can remember once i trained outside in a good snowstorm, MAN was it invigorating! The snow was about 2 feet deep and still coming down. I lived in an apartment complex with an open field across the street and trained there a lot in different types of weather. Too bad everyone else thinks i was nuts and failed to join me .
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Rainy days - 06/02/06 03:20 PM

When it rains, 6 to 8 squares of mats at the front of the class will get wet because of a leak in the cement wall of my instructors garage/dojang, causing it to be very slipery. Does that count? lol

Laura
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Rainy days - 06/02/06 08:07 PM

..and I once stepped in a puddle on the way to training. Does that count???
Posted by: Uchinanchu

Re: Rainy days - 06/05/06 01:02 PM

Gojuwarrior1,

Invigorating? You were'nt by any chance barefoot, were you? Because I never found that aspect very invigorating, especially the warming back up part afterwards. When I was a young student in the states, our class would partner up inside after running in the snow and take turns warming each others feet up by opening our dogis and rubbing our partners feet using our bellies. Don't know which was worst.
Training in the rain, though, can be a lot of fun and at the same time quite a learning experience. Puts things into better perspective on several levels. The most basic, being, environement plays a role in how a situation will play out in a self defence scenario, (ie. try defending yourself on ice, not a fun situation to be caught in).
Sorry, I know a bit off topic.
Rain IS invigorating, but I prefer to avoid it this time of year here. It's now monsoon season.
Posted by: Crash

Re: Rainy days - 06/06/06 04:42 PM

Great story! it reminds me of one of the stories that Gichin Funakoshi tells in his book "Karate-Do: my way of life" Which there was a typhoon in a village in Okinawa and every one was in their homes or shelters but there was a young man who everyone thought was crazy, he stood battling the storm, covered in mud on top of his house in a kibadachi (horsestance) through the storm in the extreme wind and rain! I don't recommend this training to anybody though! as Ron White said: "if you get hit in the head with a volvo it won't matter how many sit ups you can do"
Posted by: kungfu_klub

Re: Rainy days - 07/17/06 03:48 AM

thats such a nice post... the rain, the splitter and splatter.. rain gives a certain serenity a feeling of self assuredness...
Posted by: Steel91

Re: Rainy days - 07/18/06 02:26 PM

I've read that story also Crash (I've read the whole book, so duh) I love it. As for the rainy training session, I've ony had one so far, I was out hitting my heavy bag when it was raining bullets, pretty fun actually. I'm sure the people who occasionally drive past my house thought I had completely lost my grasp on logical thinking. Oh well, they can come join me when ever they want
Posted by: Just1Mike

Re: Rainy days - 07/25/06 09:05 PM

Brian (Fellow Backyard Budoka),

I just found this thread, sorry it took so long. There's nothing like training in the rain. I'm not sure what it is but it's cleansing to the spirit. Then sitting quietly in it after after training, caps a darn near perfect workout. Thanks for sharing.

Good Luck!
Mike.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Rainy days - 07/26/06 10:18 AM

Thanks Mike! Ya know,it hasn't rained during class since that day.We sure could use some clean spirits right about now!
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Rainy days - 07/26/06 03:40 PM

I was all gear'd up and had my snow boots on. It was a very memorable workout to say the least. I t felt good to be out there all alone just me and the snow, hearing the wind and feeling it! i will definatly do it again.