Odd.

Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Odd. - 04/25/06 12:14 PM

Not really a martial arts story, but never mind...

I was recently walking through town with a friend who is about twice my size. He is one of the least offensive and gentlest people I know, and yet, because of his size, strange and confrontational life forms keep tryimg to start fights with him.

On this particular evening, a feral townie who had fallen slightly behind his herd obviously decided to start some trouble in the street, despite the fact that there were two of us walking and his cavorting fellows were a good ten seconds away. This chap was approximately half my size and of slight build, clearly being in no state to take care of himself.

As I recall, he ignored me completely and tried to walk straight through my friend, attempting to establish his obvious physical superiority by claiming the space occpied by my friend's shoulder for himself. As he was impacting a mass four times that of his own, he bounced about five feet backwards and my friend failed to notice until the other chap started swearing at him, still trying to look tough despite having been swatted with no thought. I tried not to laugh.

Had he succeeded in making either of us kick off, there would have been time to make rather a mess of him and been halfway down the street before any of his friends had reached us.

Funny what people do when they're drunk, isn't it?

Sorry this story isn't (a) more original and (b) funnier, but I'm going home from work soon and I'm bored. It comes through in my writing.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Odd. - 04/25/06 12:43 PM

We do the strangest things after a few jars. Sometimes alcohol will bring out deep held insecurities. I'd say a large majority of the trouble I've ever experienced on the door has been with small to meduim sized twenty somethings with huge small man complex's.

Two weeks ago was a perfect example. I was working a pub in Southend called the Hogs head with my colleagues Phil and Alex. Now Alex is a short arse but really stocky, Phil well is "generously proportioned" weighing in at about 25 stone (350lbs) and 6'4" and little me 5'10 and 12.5 stone (175lbs). Last year Phil barred a local scumbag called Arron, 5'5" and 10 stone dripping wet. It was Good Friday (which was far from a good friday for us due to the all day drinking) and Arron decides his going to come in. Phil steps in front and tells him otherwise. Know there is Alex (the short ar$e), me (the skinny one) or Phil (the huge one)... out of the line up who d'ya think Arron the stupid chooses? Yup, Phil. Starts telling Phil how he is going to "knock him sparko" and even commenting on Phils size and him being a fat c**t... so he was blissfully aware that phil was over twice his weight. Anyway, Phil was getting a bit pee'd off with him so I step in and told him to go home, only to be called an "f'ing mug". After a quick palm to the chest and stumbling back about 10 foot, he decided a straightner with me was order of the day. Well, he told me for the next 200 yards going backwards. Prat.
Posted by: Legend of the Hungry Wolf

Re: Odd. - 05/16/06 01:03 AM

so 1 stone is 14lbs. neat i guess, that would make me 18.6 stones.

ur a bouncer, thats cool. So if u get into a fight with someone, and hurt him, not necessarily bad, but beat him up. what kind of consequences are there? kust curious.
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Odd. - 05/16/06 03:29 PM

Gav cries for days with shame and guilt.
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Odd. - 05/16/06 06:42 PM

Quote:

Gav cries for days with shame and guilt.

Hahaha, hohoho, hehehe...BWAAAHHAAAHHAAHA!!!!

You've not met Gavin then??

Gavin,guilt and shame...shame, Gavin and guilt...no. Those words just do not work together.

Re: Odd. - 05/17/06 10:29 AM

The consquences for Doorman are (or atleast should) be the same as the rest of society. We have the right to defend ourselves using any reasonable justifiable means. We are as accountable as anyone for our actions. Unfortunately, atleast in the UK, both the police and public seem to think its OK for us to be hurt and that we should stand by and take it. Yet if we do respond we are the ones who are usually arrested in the aftermath of altercation.

McSensei... I do to feel guilty. Take the meet on Saturday, I feel very guilty for not bruising you more than I did.
Posted by: Legend of the Hungry Wolf

Re: Odd. - 05/17/06 12:23 PM

oh that sucks. if u get arrested in a scenerio like that, would u lose ur job?

I'm a security guard at a mall (lol), and thats pretty much how it is there. unless its in self defense or the defense of a 3rd party, can't touch anybody. but we usually have a police officer there on duty, and if things get rough or nobody listens to us, we ask them to come over and persuade the individual or group to comply. it always works, lol.

I'm glad i learned some judo, now i believe if i had to defend myself i could take the person down w/out injuring myself or them. I've never had to defend myself for as long as i have been there.

Re: Odd. - 05/17/06 01:20 PM

Over here we a delightful organisation called the Security Industry Authority (SIA) who were brought in to regulate the security industry. They've got the hands into everything and everyone now has to be licenced, Doorman, Security guards and bodyguards all by the SIA. This involves you paying them money to go on a course (written by people who have never done the job) to tell you how to do a job you already do (and teach you how to do it badly IMVHO as a majority of the course sucks major parts of the anatomy). Then you apply to them, who'll do a criminal record check and if you meet they requirements they will issue you with a badge (valid for 3 years). Do anything naughty once you've got the badge and you'll loose it and won't be able to work. Get caught working without a badge and you're automatically barred from holding a badge and get a £1000 fine.

A friend of mine has just finished a 90 day suspension after being found guilty of a minor assualt against a guy who was trying to attack a girl. Because the girl ran off, she wasn't able to be called as a witness. Suffice to say the SIA are not the most popular people in the security game... some would probably class them worse than the police.

RANT over!
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Odd. - 05/17/06 05:43 PM

The crazy thing is that the police should know better as they are pretty much in the same position as the doormen.

I can't remember who said it, but I heard this...

In the US a cop will shout, "stop or I'll blow your F****** head off."
In the UK a cop will shout, "stop or I'll be forced to shout 'stop' again."

I know it's a joke but as they say there's truth in jest.

..and yeah, you did go easy on me Saturday, while Buzz ended up with a bruise the length of his arm from me, hehe.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Odd. - 05/18/06 02:28 PM

Hello Mr. Pier:

Thats not odd at all, and it was funny, I thought anyway. I was always told by several "seniors" in class who outweighed me by 50-100 pounds easily and were obscenely fit... smarter, faster... sigh.

One privately lamented he preferred partners more his size because anybody smaller than him always turned up their intensity level to "full power" while he being much, much larger was operating only at 25-30%... they always hurt him, or tried. He was taking it easy but his size made him a target.

He was skilled, smart, FAST, and huge to boot.

People can be strange,
Jeff