Just another day at the office!

Posted by: Reiki

Just another day at the office! - 03/28/06 11:15 PM

We had an unfortunate accident last week at training where my uke & I were doing our bo & stick applications in preparation for our grading.

We have to design several advanced self defence weapons yatsukos from seiza and standing, and they must include disarms and kill strikes... so we are spending a lot of time designing, perfecting and practicing these.

For some unknown reason she moved her head abruptly sideways toward the bo while I was simulating a head strike. The bo hit her on the eyebrow and she fell down with her hands over her eye.

It had split the eyebrow open in a very gory fashion and the blood went everywhere! We used up all the swabs and other stuff in the first aid kit and she then went off to A&E for stitching. They actually glued it back together... she had a nice shiner for the weekend but it looks a lot better now!

It just goes to show how effective some of these strikes really are! I was not using anywhere near full power either!

We are One/All now, because she KO'd me with a jo strike on the temple a few months ago where she was supposed to be indicating a throat strike when we were doing bokken vs jo.

Last nite the accidents kept on coming while we were partnered up.

First I took a hard whack on the hand during our stick fighting practice [might lose the nail on my finger!], later I ended up wearing her knee into one of the PP in the back of my calf so that it went numb for the rest of the nite. Then I nearly had my shoulder dislocated again during some street defences we were playing with...

Talk about getting broken by your uke!
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Just another day at the office! - 03/28/06 11:49 PM

Talk about fun!!
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Just another day at the office! - 03/29/06 01:21 AM

Remind me never to train in Middle Earth with you.

Re: Just another day at the office! - 03/29/06 02:54 AM

Quote:

Remind me never to train in Middle Earth with you.

ok!

have u seen my really BIG stick?

I had lots of fun practicing my spear throwing in the weekend. I scared the guys by imbedding it halfway through the target
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Just another day at the office! - 03/29/06 08:56 AM

Thanks for sharing, Reiki.

*sigh of relief as MattJ realizes that Reiki trains on the other side of the world from him*.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Just another day at the office! - 03/29/06 09:21 AM

Hello Reiki:

Our genuine condolences for whatever they might be worth... Any prayer you can switch to something less... "hard" for practice??? I realize that ruins the ~authenticity~, but keep this up and cripple seems a certainty in time

"...Dead but NOT intimidated..."

Rough motto...
J

Re: Just another day at the office! - 03/29/06 05:43 PM

Quote:

Hello Reiki:

Our genuine condolences for whatever they might be worth... Any prayer you can switch to something less... "hard" for practice??? I realize that ruins the ~authenticity~, but keep this up and cripple seems a certainty in time

"...Dead but NOT intimidated..."

Rough motto...
J

thankyou!

um, no way I'll be switching to anything other than a proper weapon anytime soon. I have to make these yatsukos look real AND effective.