The best body mechanics I've ever seen

Posted by: wristtwister

The best body mechanics I've ever seen - 03/08/06 06:28 PM

I attended a seminar in Columbia, South Carolina back in the 1980's conducted by Nishiyama Sensei. He brought with him, a Godan that trained with him back in his Los Angeles dojo, and used him to "demonstrate different positions" of kicks, punches, etc.

The most impressive thing that happened, was when Sensei was discussing side kicks. This guy whacked his leg out in a perfect head-high side kick, and simply held it there. As Nishiyama Sensei talked, he kept his leg out... still in perfect position for several minutes. Then, it got interesting...

He didn't let his leg drop, but Sensei walked around him turning his foot in different positions as he lectured, and discussed what dynamics were effected by allowing the foot to "drift" off line, or turn incorrectly. Eventually, when that part of the discussion was over, he allowed the man to drop his leg... no less than 8 to 10 minutes from when he had first put it into that perfect side kick.

During this entire discussion, the man was never off balance or hopping around, never appeared to be the slightest bit tired, and never allowed his leg to drop even a little. When he put his leg down, he and Nishiyama Sensei both stepped behind and did the smoothest turns to start discussing punches that you've ever seen.

In 40+ years of classes and seminars, I don't remember seeing anyone else with the kind of body control that was exhibited at that seminar. It was (to quote Rocky's trainer) ... "a t'ing of beauty".

Posted by: MattJ

Re: The best body mechanics I've ever seen - 03/08/06 06:45 PM

Sounds very impressive. The only thing I've seen that was close to that was in a scene from Jackie Chan's "Who am I?". He was on the rooftop of a building with two bad guys trying to fight him for a computer disk. One guy was Asian, the other European.

The European guy picked a coat up off the floor with his foot and help it straight up in the air - rock solid. I don't know the guy's name, but his kicks were incredibly fast and accurate.

Re: The best body mechanics I've ever seen - 03/08/06 06:52 PM

I still ask myself... "How'd he do that????"

Posted by: wolfman

Re: The best body mechanics I've ever seen - 03/09/06 10:48 AM

I have to say I be very inpressed to see that. While I think I have fair balance I be unable to do it.
Posted by: Buzz

Re: The best body mechanics I've ever seen - 03/09/06 12:32 PM

The European chap in the film is a Dutch kickboxer called Ron Smoorenburg.

Look at www.ronsmoorenburg.nl to learn more.

But it didn't matter how high his kicks were - Jackie won in the end.
Posted by: Joss

Re: The best body mechanics I've ever seen - 03/09/06 01:26 PM

That was a hell of a fight scene.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: The best body mechanics I've ever seen - 03/09/06 03:40 PM

The best body mechanics I've seen are here...these guys are truely amazing: click here
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: The best body mechanics I've ever seen - 03/09/06 03:46 PM

boo. hiss.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: The best body mechanics I've ever seen - 03/09/06 04:07 PM

Posted by: BrianS

Re: The best body mechanics I've ever seen - 03/09/06 06:59 PM

Posted by: Gavin

Re: The best body mechanics I've ever seen - 03/10/06 05:14 AM

Posted by: OneInchPunchMaster

Re: The best body mechanics I've ever seen - 03/12/06 04:28 AM

Looks like someones been taking lessons from David Blaine

Re: The best body mechanics I've ever seen - 03/12/06 09:52 AM

No offense, but what's a David Blaine? Local hero?

Nishiyama Sensei is world class, and his instruction likewise. Comparing his training to anyone else's is pretty insulting to him. I'm a hachidan in jujitsu, and I would be insulted if you compared my instruction to one of my white belt's. That's the difference in "levels" we're talking about here.

I have a good sense of humor, but respect for exceptional people demands some restraint from insulting them. I have film of Nishiyama training in class with Funakoshi sitting in his chair at the head of the class. I don't remember seeing anyone named Mr. Blaine there.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: The best body mechanics I've ever seen - 03/12/06 11:05 AM

David Blaine is a street magician.

http://www.davidblaine.com/

Re: The best body mechanics I've ever seen - 03/12/06 02:57 PM

My bad... Mr. Blaine was there, we just couldn't see him.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: The best body mechanics I've ever seen - 03/12/06 07:06 PM

I find people like Rudolph Nureyev and Mikhail Baryshnikov far more inspiring in their use of their body, balance, coordination, strength, and gracefulness too...

... I'm just sayin'