A little situation I had today

Posted by: jcsenton

A little situation I had today - 02/17/06 05:13 PM

I just feel like sharing this story about what happened to me today. If you find it boring just ignore it. Anyway, so today on my way to school I come across this gangster wannabe and he says to me something like "yo can I borrow 75 cents." And since I was in a hurry (I was late) I just brushed him of saying "no I'm broke." Then he starts cursing and calling me all kinds of names which I won't mention here. Of course I just ignored him, kept walking and that was the end of it. I live in New York and the funny thing is that no matter how a nice guy you try to be there will always be some a**hole trying to get tough with you. I don't get, what makes these gangster wannabes think they're so tough?
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: A little situation I had today - 02/17/06 05:34 PM

Well, you gotta feel kinda sorry for these types. Most of them come from broken homes and have immature parents that havent raised them right. You cant blame them, blame the parents!

Re: A little situation I had today - 02/17/06 05:38 PM

Yea there was another guy like that asking me for money except he wasn't a bad mouth. He asked me "yo, you got any dollars to spare, my father kicked me out and I don't know where to go." I also remember walking into a library one time, and seeing a very young couple studying for the regents exam (an exam you must take in high school here in New York) and right next to them was a baby carrage with their infant child no more then 2 years old. Imagine that.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: A little situation I had today - 02/17/06 06:10 PM

Quote:

I don't get, what makes these gangster wannabes think they're so tough?

What makes you think they're not?
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: A little situation I had today - 02/17/06 06:14 PM

Thats correct.

Re: A little situation I had today - 02/17/06 06:18 PM

Was I wrong? I mean sure they are dangerous people but most of them are a bit over confident.
Posted by: kyokushinkai

Re: A little situation I had today - 02/17/06 08:46 PM

Quote:

Was I wrong? I mean sure they are dangerous people but most of them are a bit over confident.

confidence can go a long way.

Re: A little situation I had today - 02/17/06 10:55 PM

Quote:

So you know all of them and their fighting abilities?

Re: A little situation I had today - 02/18/06 01:50 AM

I live in new york so I see these guys every where. i've seen alot of them in action, and many of them are not what I would call good fighters. Not trying to say that all gangster wannabes can't fight because yes there are number of these guys that are good at hand to hand and they are once again dangerous individuals. What I meant was that to me they act way too cocky. I see them everyday walking around in groups picking on smaller and weaker individuals, acting like they're the most superior people on the planet.
Posted by: Cord

Re: A little situation I had today - 02/18/06 04:36 AM

I live in a city. I know it is easy to get de-sensitised to the plight of the homeless, and with the volume of begging that you are subjected to, you cope by making these people 'invisible' or at least unimportant. Many of these people are there through no fault but their own. Addiction and poor life choices leading to self destruct, and in that regard I dont have sympathy for them.
But imagine how it must feel to have to resort to putting your hand out to a stranger. Most of us dont like relying on the generosity our own families, let alone the mercy of the public. i have come full circle, I used to come up with cruel little one line retorts to their requests, this would usually get me a volley of abuse- further inforcing my negative perception of beggars. It only occurred to me recently, that I was being an a$$, and that in the time it took me to say 'get a job' as I breezed by, I could look the person in the eye and say 'sorry mate'. What do you know, when I tried it, all I got in return was 'no worries pal' or words to that effect. 'I hadnt given them money, but I had recognised them as a human being.
There are a million a$$holes in the world, not all of them ask you for money, and those that are in more fortunate positions are given more tolerant treatment. If you are going to 'brush past' and ignore a beggar, then do the same to the boss you hate, the uncle that annoys you at christmas and the guy who gets your change wrong at the checkout. Either that, or give a little courtesy to fellow human beings regardless of their status.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: A little situation I had today - 02/18/06 09:14 AM

Nice post Cord.
I have noticed that often times people that are well to do or in a position of power are more prone to being inconsiderate.
I used to be rather bitter towards a lot of homeless folks. After talking to a few of them you begin to see that some of them just had some really bad luck and are trying to get by. Some are batttling addiction and there are others that have just given up and seem to be waiting to be released from their shell. Never the less they are all people and should be treated as such.

A little story of my own in regards to homeless folks.
Last week I was doing a bit of forms work in a covered area at our local library. I heard someone walking toward where I was, playing a harpmonica. There are usually a few homeless folks that will stroll through here, I usually keep to myself and they keep to themselves. Sometimes they will say something to me or let out a big "HIIYYAHHHH" which usually cracks me up, and on a couple of occasions I have had them try and pick fights.
Anyways, this fellow walks by me and says "Hey, whats up brother?" in a slightly slurred voice. I replied with a slight nod as I was in the middle of an exercise. He walks past me a little ways and the kicks one of the pillars that supports the area where I like to practice. I said "Wow! That was impressive" I think that this guy thought I was being sarcastic when I said something about his kick, but I wasn't. Not often do you see a homeless dude wobbling along and then throw a kick at head height and remain standing. He replied with "Hey man, I was in Nam, I know whats up!" To that I replied "Tahnk you!" And I genuinely meant it. He had a puzzled look on his face for a second and then I repeated myself. "Thank you for your service sir". This definately took him by suprise. I visibly saw him perk up, he said thanks back to me and went on his way, walking with his head held high.

Sorry I wandered off there. Just wanted to share that...
Posted by: MattJ

Re: A little situation I had today - 02/18/06 09:26 AM

Quote:

It only occurred to me recently, that I was being an a$$, and that in the time it took me to say 'get a job' as I breezed by, I could look the person in the eye and say 'sorry mate'. What do you know, when I tried it, all I got in return was 'no worries pal' or words to that effect. 'I hadnt given them money, but I had recognised them as a human being.

Well said, Cord.

Re: A little situation I had today - 02/18/06 10:34 AM

Yesterday when I posted in this thread I was speaking out of anger due to the situation with the guy asking me for money. Today I have a more cool head, so I realize it was a little arogant for me to say that can't gangster wannabes are not tough. But even though they can be real a$$holes it's like gojuwarrior said we shouldn't blame them except for the parents who failed to raise them right.

Re: A little situation I had today - 02/18/06 01:17 PM

Cord and Fisherman, excellent posts, both of you. I also have had a change of attitude towards homeless. There is a man who walks by my store fairly often, I usually see him a couple of times a week, but less in winter. I always acknowledge him if I see him, giving a wave and a smile, even if I am driving down the street, and he returns the same. When I have brought my lunch/dinner I will often give him some of it, he takes it and gives me a "God Bless You" in return.
Posted by: Cord

Re: A little situation I had today - 02/18/06 04:44 PM

not wanting to ruin my newly acquired halo on the subject, but my overriding opinion on homeless people is that for the vast majority they are there by their own hand. I say again, I have no sympathy for them. I just acknowledge that having to lie in the bed they have made for themselves must be a bitter experience, and it is sensible to not antagonise them on grounds of decency, and also your own safety.
Its not so long ago that one of these guys took a swing at me at work (I did a thread on it)despite me being polite and respectful. Who knows what could have happened if I had handled him with an attitude.
Self defence begins with avoiding confrontation. If that leads to treating people well, then the end truly justifies the means.