What does it mean to be "Knocked Out" ?

Posted by: Wrestler103

What does it mean to be "Knocked Out" ? - 01/16/06 02:53 AM

Ok, so I never been knocked out before, so I don't really understand the full term. Does it mean that you get hit so hard, that you faint? Or does it mean you just get hit so hard, your hurt and you wanna fall down and back out the fight? Or maybe it just mean both, so when the UFC fighters fight, usually do they stop because one of the guy aren't awake for a couple seconds or what?
Posted by: BrianS

Re: What does it mean to be "Knocked Out" ? - 01/16/06 02:58 AM

Basically you lose consciousness but the levels vary. You could be out cold or just unable to defend yourself reasonably.
Posted by: Taison

Re: What does it mean to be "Knocked Out" ? - 01/16/06 05:16 AM

It means basically, you get hit so hard, you fall asleep [bad word I know].

You don't feel anything, you just wake up a few hours later knowing that you lost conscience. Nothing horrible, it's the pain after you wake up that really is bothering.

The term when you mean when a fighter can't continue but still has all consience, it's called TKO, Technical Knock Out. It means basically, people see it as if he continued, he'd be knocked out.

-Taison out
Posted by: Borrek

Re: What does it mean to be "Knocked Out" ? - 01/17/06 01:21 AM

The main way folks get knocked out by a punch is by getting hit on the chin. Right behind your jawbone joint is whats called the "deep temporal mandibular nerve" and when your jaw gets hit hard enough, the bone slams into that nerve. the impact literally overloads your brain and its like hitting the reset button on your computer. thats why sometimes you see people get knocked out and they are very disoriented and confused.

most knockouts are some form of this sensory overload.

within the UFC rules there are all sorts of "knockouts" but what I posted is the medical version
Posted by: Gavin

Re: What does it mean to be "Knocked Out" ? - 01/17/06 07:39 AM

Although I've never been out cold I have been hit to what could probably be a called a standing KO or a TKO. The experience is actually suprisingly pleasent, everything goes light, feels a bit like being under water. Everything goes fuzzy, sounds go all echoy and any hits after the one that got you feel like dull thuds. As already mentioned its not until afterwards it starts hurting.

In terms of KO there are usually two main ways people go out concussive or electrical (probably could be called neurological, not sure of the technical term).

A concussive KO is one in which the brain is rattled in the skull so violently that it shuts itself down to minimize pontential damage. This is caused to a high impact to the skull through some like a punch or hitting your head on something from falling down.

An electrical KO, like a shot to the chin or one using PP's is caused by a surge of electrical impluses to the brain via the nervous system, whereby the brain simply can't cope with the level of infomration being sent to it. It goes into safety mode and shuts down again.

This probably isn't 100% medically acurate descriptions but is about the best my crude brain can come up with!

Gav
Posted by: Ronin1966

What does it mean to be "Knocked Out" ? - 01/17/06 10:05 AM

Hello Wrestler103:

I think Gavin's description is a fairly good one. Although, I would definately debate the being a ~pleasant experience~ part!

Being "knocked out" essentially means not in conscious control of what/how you respond to something. Having been hit so many times, literally unable to raise your arms because the pain is so extreme... unable to answer simple questions appropriately, (and timely) when asked...

Its a poor example but consider the second right before you wake in the morning. Not aware, not able to focus, and neither aware, nor asleep either one. A signifigant difference with being knocked out, you WERE aware, and able a second ago, whereas now you are not. Sleep, you were asleep for hours previously...

J

Re: What does it mean to be "Knocked Out" ? - 01/17/06 10:14 AM

Quote:

Although, I would definately debate the being a ~pleasant experience~ part!

Maybe pleasent wasn't the right word, but everything just stops hurting and goes all wobbley.....or perharps I'm just weird.
Posted by: Galen

Re: What does it mean to be "Knocked Out" ? - 01/17/06 11:52 AM

Quote:

or perharps I'm just weird.

Ill testify to that!!

*winks*

G

Re: What does it mean to be "Knocked Out" ? - 01/17/06 12:14 PM

Quote:

Ill testify to that!!

Oh, you cheeky monkey!

Gav
Posted by: Wrestler103

Re: What does it mean to be "Knocked Out" ? - 01/17/06 06:55 PM

So basically, the UFC fighters are stopped when one is knocked out. I was wondering how the UFC fighters can take all the pain before that happens.
Or do sometimes people are hurt so badly that they just get "knocked out"?
Posted by: oldman

Re: What does it mean to be "Knocked Out" ? - 01/17/06 07:42 PM

Quote:

I was wondering how the UFC fighters can take all the pain before that happens.

Training, discipline and limited options.
Posted by: mean_fighter

Re: What does it mean to be "Knocked Out" ? - 01/17/06 09:03 PM

Just to let you know, there are alot of ways to get knocked out, like being hit from behind, or just getting the wind get knocked out of you. Ive even seen guys get knocked out by getting his ribs broken with a metal pipe basically any strike feels harder then it is if you dont see it coming.
Posted by: Subedei

Re: What does it mean to be "Knocked Out" ? - 01/18/06 08:17 AM

My general definition would be to be rendered unable to defend yourself for a period of time easily sufficient for your opponent to finish you off.

If you're unconcious for 20 seconds then this is the case, if your leg is broken and you're on the ground squirming in pain you are likewise rather unable to prevent further damage and are thus effective "knocked out".