Averting danger with humor...

Posted by: Ed_Morris

Averting danger with humor... - 01/03/06 10:29 AM

Was talking to an old friend recently and remembered something that happened to me in college that avoided a confrontation.

* Bar. I somehow angered an already beligerant thick-neck, apparently his beef was that I was having too much fun and should be miserable like him . In order to avoid fighting the guy, I told him I'd get him and his two friends a round. Told the bartender to give the table another round and a shot for me and my friend and put it on their tab. The bartender confirmed this with the paying table by gesturing to the guy's table for another round while pointing to me and my friend and the neck-guy shook his head yes.

We slammed the shots, told the bartender to add one of those pig's tounges from the pickle jar to the table's order and walked out.

[edit]ok, not exactly averting a confrontation or danger - since that guy would have thrown me off a bridge if he saw me again....but it was funny at the time.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/03/06 11:48 AM

Didn't that happen in Dumb and Dumber?

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/03/06 11:55 AM

if it was, maybe the writer modeled the characters after us.

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/03/06 12:00 PM

I won't tell you which one I think you are.

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/03/06 12:04 PM

If we keep having exchanges like this Joel, people may not be able to tell the difference.
Posted by: Intrepidinv1

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/03/06 12:04 PM

Definitely occured in Dumb and Dumber. However, this occured after Loyd threw the salt shaker over his shoulder and hit Sea Bass. This later lead to an ugly confrontation in a men's bathroom stall, leading Loyd to seek a "happy place" while sucking his thumb.

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/03/06 12:07 PM

I remember that part, that was funny as 'ell...hey should this thread be moved to the movie section? you know, since I put a fictitious story up and all...

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/03/06 12:09 PM

Did it really happen to you, Ed? Knowing your sense of humor I wouldn't put it past you. (that's a compliment, I think)

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/03/06 01:14 PM

It happened exactly the way I told it. Not particularly clever (pretty much just slipping out on a tab), but the pickled pigs tounge was a nice touch.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/04/06 12:13 AM

That's funny!

I once asked a guy to dance that was "maddogging" me.
Posted by: mean_fighter

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/04/06 10:33 PM

Funny I always wanted to do that to a person
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/05/06 08:47 AM

Quote:

That's funny!

I once asked a guy to dance that was "maddogging" me.

I have never heard this expression. What does it mean?
Sharon
Posted by: Cord

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/05/06 09:38 AM

'Maddoging' I interperate as being aggressive, and posturing. Bit like a dog will growl and circle before biting.

In Britain I think it would equate to 'giving daggers' or 'starting on' someone.

Could be wrong though, maybe our american friends sniff each others butts before fighting?
Posted by: Grayston

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/05/06 10:11 AM

Quote:

Could be wrong though, maybe our american friends sniff each others butts before fighting?

Snigger

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/05/06 10:16 AM

no, that would be called 'madleggin', and is found in rural parts of Texas and some parts of DC.

'mad dog' spell it backwards.
it means staring someone down. looking at someone like a goddam mad dog.

can ya dig it...I knew that you could
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/05/06 10:27 AM

Humor is a wonderful tool. The problem being those on whom it can be used (ie to avoid the very avoidable) are often too far gone (to their "dark place") to even be reached. If they are too thick, or of a VERY ~different humor~, how DO you reach them I wonder???

What are some of your "front line" word techniques to "disarm" ?

Anybody?
J

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/05/06 11:13 AM

one good bar trick I learned over the years is the technique of insulting yourself, but the people that know you (and the less dumb in the crowd) understand that the insult is intended for the person spoken to.

dumb guy: "hey you bumped into me you a$$!"
you: "sorry man, I always seem to have a hard time navigating around this huge a$$. {point to your own butt}"
dumb guy: {shakes his head and writes you off as a whackjob}

meanwhile your friends are cracking up. 1 face saved. 1 a$$ saved.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/06/06 01:56 AM

Quote:

one good bar trick I learned over the years is the technique of insulting yourself, but the people that know you (and the less dumb in the crowd) understand that the insult is intended for the person spoken to.

dumb guy: "hey you bumped into me you a$$!"
you: "sorry man, I always seem to have a hard time navigating around this huge a$$. {point to your own butt}"
dumb guy: {shakes his head and writes you off as a whackjob}

meanwhile your friends are cracking up. 1 face saved. 1 a$$ saved.

LOL! That's a good one.

"WTF are you looking at [censored]?"

"yes."
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/09/06 09:32 PM

Would that be like throwing the punch...line???

Averting danger with humor... - 01/11/06 11:06 AM

Hello Eyrie:

I know I am going to regret asking but whats the throwing the punch... line?!?! (Bad pun aside that is...)

J
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/11/06 05:30 PM

You are regretting this already. I know I am. It's a terrible pun... a result of my poor attempt at humour. Guess I stink at averting any danger with an effort like that!

Re: Averting danger with humor... - 01/17/06 10:13 AM

Hello Eyrie:

<<You are regretting this already. I know I am.

<<Guess I stink at averting any danger

Well look at it this way... efforts like that and you spare some other "poor soul" their pain quotent by bringing it on yourself (sic. like an electro-magnet).

Not a problem btw... do it to myself all the time,
J (True Self-Defense: Learning to get out of our OWN way on a daily basis)