'The Student that cant do his Breakfalls'

Posted by: Aka_Ryu

'The Student that cant do his Breakfalls' - 11/30/05 04:36 PM

I'm a shodan in Judo and many times have attempted to help this one student with is breakfalls. Finally when i thought I had helped him and all was good, they returned to their old state in mid air where i saw his foot coming down onto my head. Knocked me out. He took a month off and which on returning didn't appologies to me. So i happily gave him press ups as a punishment. Was this fair of me? Im still trying to help him, but nothing seems to be happening.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: 'The Student that cant do his Breakfalls' - 12/01/05 01:37 AM

It takes some people longer than others. I would ask another instructor to help you,maybe he can explain it better.

Re: 'The Student that cant do his Breakfalls' - 12/01/05 05:31 PM

I have asked my instructor to help him, but she still cant correct him. Its extremly hard to correct him although we know where he is going wrong.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: 'The Student that cant do his Breakfalls' - 12/02/05 09:39 AM

One thing that might work is to ask him if he does any other sport that involves falling and how he does it in that situation. When I learned breakfall a few years ago, I was a skateboarder. My instructor asked what i did when i fell and if i could recreate it while being thrown. It worked!
I think the most important thing to get the student to understand is they need to forget about the fact they are being thrown and to focus on just slappin' that mat.

Re: 'The Student that cant do his Breakfalls' - 12/02/05 03:40 PM

Quote:

When I learned breakfall a few years ago, I was a skateboarder. My instructor asked what i did when i fell and if i could recreate it while being thrown. It worked!

Thats a really good point. I know that he plays rugby and i can ask him to do it then Thanks
Posted by: TruWarrior53

Re: 'The Student that cant do his Breakfalls' - 12/22/05 03:33 AM

I had a student like this in a Ju-Jitsu class. He was like retarded or something or maybe just afraid of falling. He would always hesitate and kind of twitch before falling. So, one time I just pushed him down while he was sputtering around waiting to get the gets up to fall. He dislocated his shoulder as a result. He talked about suing me, but I explained that it was in his best interest not to. So, don't try my technique.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: 'The Student that cant do his Breakfalls' - 12/22/05 07:23 AM

You are quite stupid, aren't you?
Posted by: BrianS

Re: 'The Student that cant do his Breakfalls' - 12/22/05 08:04 AM

I agree Joel. I think this nut is an inbred troll of some sort. Check out his post in the SD forum under H.
Posted by: Eveal

Re: 'The Student that cant do his Breakfalls' - 01/25/06 11:55 AM

Quote:

I had a student like this in a Ju-Jitsu class. He was like retarded or something or maybe just afraid of falling. He would always hesitate and kind of twitch before falling. So, one time I just pushed him down while he was sputtering around waiting to get the gets up to fall. He dislocated his shoulder as a result. He talked about suing me, but I explained that it was in his best interest not to. So, don't try my technique.

LOL! Funniest thing ever! I would have sued you best interest or not. Your a bully picking on that kid. He is probably scarred for life now.
Posted by: Natron

Re: 'The Student that cant do his Breakfalls' - 01/25/06 09:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL! Funniest thing ever! I would have sued you best interest or not. Your a bully picking on that kid. He is probably scarred for life now.

Please don't feed the trolls...
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: 'The Student that cant do his Breakfalls' - 01/28/06 09:06 AM

Psychologists state that all human beings have two primal fears hard wired into them naturally: Fear of loud noises, and fear of falling.

Break falls are psychological. Most students can physically do them. It is mentally where they usually come up short. If you have some softer mats around, try letting your student use those. Let them see that nothing bad will happen to them when they fall. Their mind must believe they can do it, or else they will panic and pull out of them, at which point they will usually hurt themselves.

Try looking at ukemi from other martial arts as well. For instance I have heard that Bujinkan have some very soft break falls for beginners. Try and find a breakfall they can do, and let them do that. Once they realize they can do some sort of breakfall, the rest will follow.

P.S. TruWarrior53 (and judging by your post here that seems the most inappropriate name in the history of internet forums), you shouldn't be allowed to teach, if that could even be called teaching.
Posted by: Ukraine

Re: 'The Student that cant do his Breakfalls' - 02/03/06 10:36 PM

thats pretty funny

I Just hope the kid didnt stop taking karate after that incident.