Hit list

Posted by: MAGr

Hit list - 11/26/05 08:02 PM

Something happened recently that I did not expect. I dont know if this is common to all styles and arts but there are some techniques which I have learnt that I could safely say I would not use them. And have also made a conscious decision to 'banish' them from my training routine so that my sessions could be cut down to a reasonable time. I have talked to people generally about 'unlikely' and 'unrealistic' techniques which cater for very specific circustances.

At the top of my hit list where hand trappings. They look cool against unsuspecting dummies and in principle work great. But I have on several occasions tried to use it in a sparring match. My efforts where rewarded by some hits to the head

So even though I have not scrapped hand trapping techniques, they are certainly not part of my training.

Here is the tale part of the post.
A week ago, I was in a pub with some mates. (these stories tend to start the same way )
At some point an arguement errupted between one of my mates and a random dude who thought he was eyeing his girlfriend. To be honest I think my mate was being a bit to abvious. I mean its too much when you have to wipe your chin from the drooling.
The guy came over (we were at the bar, and as it happens I was in between while they were arguing. I think I have learnt after a while to recognise the moment of no return in a converstation and when the arms will start flying. At that point I trapped the guy's over excited hand over his other, and trapped them, whilst I pushed him lightly away. He could not move his hands, but it was subtle enough for him not to take it as an agressive move from my part.

So the one technique that I though was not really useful turned out to have difused a situation with no fighting! Amazing!

I realised that when you talk about realistic training and fighting, it doesnt mean just sparring, just defence against the right hook or the shoot. Realistic training means random, and random in real life means infinite number of possibilities, including some where 'unrealistic' techniques are realistic.
Posted by: phoenixsflame

Re: Hit list - 11/28/05 03:09 AM

Handtraps aren't singular techniques. I am assuming by that you mean using your own hand/body to pin another persons hand to gain control over their arm.

If you are going to use a handtrap, it has to be used in conjunction with a wrist lock, arm barr, hip throw, strike, something, anything.

That can be said for all techniques though...

Just my two cents, I think all techniques have their purpose.

I will agree with you on this only on a few levels. I think Gun striping "techniques" are pointless. There is no form that will protect you from a gun, I've never seen Iron Body training go that far. ;D
Posted by: Subedei

Re: Hit list - 12/03/05 05:27 PM

Yeah, I can think of a lot of techniques I wouldn't use against an experienced opponent but come in darn useful in those situations.
Posted by: Natron

Re: Hit list - 01/03/06 04:07 PM

MAGr-

The quintessential use for trapping hands is when you need to fend off your girl when she's had one too many and gets all "swingy" on you. Simply trap, sink, and push towards a soft surface (couch, bed, etc.).

I've seen your site, you're obviously years ahead of me in your training, but you really missed this one...
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Hit list - 01/03/06 04:49 PM

I know i'm gonna get hung for saying this, but I wouldn't dismiss gun disarms as pointless either.
Posted by: Natron

Re: Hit list - 01/03/06 07:00 PM

I think he just meant techniques where you hit the takedown on a pistol and remove the slide from the frame, which realistically would only work with a handful of guns anyway (Beretta and Glock come to mind). I'll let him talk for himself though
Posted by: shihan_chris

Re: Hit list - 01/04/06 06:09 AM

A lot of it depends on your level of ability. Also, the circumstances. For instance, a lot of times it's easier to do take downs on an opponent that is right up in your face talking trash or grabbing a hold of you, versus an opponent that already has his fists up and has some distance between him and you. There's a lot of techniques that you have to set up, and control you opponent in order to use effectively.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: Hit list - 01/04/06 11:29 AM

I understand what you are saying MAGr. As I study Wing Tsun there are some techniques which I find rather strange although really in certain circumstances they could possible come in very useful. Thats why they say that Martial Arts teach you to look out for yourself in various situations.