got punched today...

Posted by: moodymikey

got punched today... - 11/09/05 11:49 AM

in my sociology lesson today i was sat next to my mate called Chris. and we always joke on slapping each other on the back and stuff. well today he randomly stood up, shouted 'im sick of you michael' and punched me in the face. he then proceeded to sit down again and get on with his work.

so after he punched me i sat up, and just laughed it off. after the lesson i caught up to him, stuck my hand out for him to shake it and said 'it wasnt worth it chris. if it was getting to you that much you should have just said. imsorry though.' and left it at that.

do you think i could have handled the situation better? and if so what should i have done? im a thai boxer, but i didnt really think resorting to violence was the right thing to do. but what should i have done in the situation? because now everyone in the class is mocking me for not hitting back
Posted by: oldman

Re: got punched today... - 11/09/05 12:10 PM

Which hurts worse, getting punched or getting mocked ?
Posted by: butterfly

Re: got punched today... - 11/09/05 12:14 PM

Moody,

It's hard to take the mental anxiety associated with peer pressure, but coming from your standpoint...who would you respect?

You did the best you could in a very respectable and mature way. It won't count with the "kids" in your group, but you "done good."

-B
Posted by: schanne

Re: got punched today... - 11/09/05 05:10 PM

I'm not going to say anything, just shaking my head, and it's not because you got hit.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: got punched today... - 11/09/05 05:20 PM

Quote:

I'm not going to say anything, just shaking my head, and it's not because you got hit.

*BrianS stands beside schanne and shakes his head too*
Posted by: eyrie

Re: got punched today... - 11/09/05 06:02 PM

* Stands next to BrianS and schanne and we're all shaking our heads to the resounding din of Razwell's favorite word *

Re: got punched today... - 11/09/05 06:13 PM

FOOL
Posted by: RangerG

Re: got punched today... - 11/09/05 06:22 PM

What the heck is Morgan Freeman doing here?

Re: got punched today... - 11/09/05 07:11 PM

Going POOPIE!!!
Posted by: RangerG

Re: got punched today... - 11/09/05 07:18 PM

Is it a little tropical in here...or is it just me?
Posted by: Who_FlungPoo

Re: got punched today... - 11/09/05 09:36 PM

ALOHA HOI! ALOHA HOI! CHAKAHAHA POMPITO MAMA HEEEE! hawaii song... its my on edited version it is, complete with a cocker spaniel WUFF! awww Ambrocious
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: got punched today... - 11/12/05 05:17 PM

Don't worry, you did the right thing. The rest of your class is obviously full of immature jerks though. Boy do I know how that feels.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: got punched today... - 11/13/05 09:30 AM

Quote:

and we always joke on slapping each other on the back and stuff.

...because now everyone in the class is mocking me for not hitting back

Not wishing to come across as entirely too serious for my own good, but why on earth would you ever strike someone as a "joke"? It is shows a lack of respect for a person. Regardless of whether it was you or your friend who started it, it escalated to the point where your friend seems to have thought " Enough is enough" and then punched you.

You, by "...slapping each other on the back and stuff." cultivated and an atmosphere where your friend felt both able and compelled to punch you. You allowed it to reach that point. And in a very public setting at that.

Your reaction afterwards was the correct thing to do though. It was striking your friend (and allowing him to do the same to you) that led you to this situation in the first place, judging by your post.

I understand having a laugh with a friend, but just through some Simpson quotes at him or something!

Am sorry if this all sounds very harsh, but life is too short to hit someone, even in a supposed "...joke..." way (unless you absolutely have to).

As regards to your classmates, I agree with Leo, they sound immature. And just ask yourself, what is more important, what they think or your friendship?

On a final note, just double check with your friend that there was no underlying reason for the punch. As I have said, from your post it seems the slapping on the back stuff allowed the situation to escalate. But you know your buddy better than the people on this forum will, so just make sure it was nothing else.

Good luck mate, am sure things will be ok because you did the right thing in the end. Hitting someone playfully might seem like harmless fun because it doesn’t hurt him or her physically, but you don't know how it'll affect him or her emotionally or mentally. So think about it before you let it happen again. Turst me, I know what I am talking about here.

P.S. When you are in class you should be studying hard anyway with no time for such folly, ha ha !!!
Posted by: traq

Re: got punched today... - 11/18/05 12:57 PM

I think it's kinda amusing that this happened in a sociology class
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: got punched today... - 11/18/05 01:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

and we always joke on slapping each other on the back and stuff.

...because now everyone in the class is mocking me for not hitting back

Not wishing to come across as entirely too serious for my own good, but why on earth would you ever strike someone as a "joke"?

males in groups (especially in teens when their bodies are constantly in flux) fight to keep the pecking order of the group in line. one of those niggily little annoyances we have inherited from our animal insticts.

obviously out and out fightig isn't permitted, pretty much no one is gonna gain dominance in western society by being the biggest brain box and argueing is going to make you look foolish, so all you are left with is slaps and punches on the arm. this kind of behavoir will always continue until it is bred out of the genepool.

callign the hits jokes is a way of covering what is actually happening for people who can't see or won't admit what is happening.
Posted by: Celerity

Re: got punched today... - 11/19/05 12:48 PM

If you ask me what I would do? I'de sure hit him, on the spot though, cause I can't seem to hit anyone when im not mad enough.

What should you do? Well it's realy in how your being loughed at.

I always say that if you are in a situation where the only way to avoid it is fighting - fight and do it as well as you can.

If you can live with the situation without any real difficulties , or handle it without fighting - thats for the better.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: got punched today... - 11/19/05 01:15 PM

Nice call VTG man.
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: got punched today... - 11/19/05 09:29 PM

How can having someone punch you in the face not be the appropriate time to use violence?

What you taught your buddy is that he can basically bully you and hit you at will and you will do nothing to stop him. No doubt, others in your school will soone get the same message.
Posted by: Cord

Re: got punched today... - 11/21/05 05:12 PM

Quote:

How can having someone punch you in the face not be the appropriate time to use violence?

At a funeral when someone has just buried a loved one and is drunk and lashing out at the injustice of it all.

When the punch was aimed at someone with better reflexes than you.

Oh heck, my fingers will get tired if I list all the times smacking someone in the chops as retaliation is not a good idea.
Posted by: Aka_Ryu

Re: got punched today... - 11/29/05 11:34 AM

Situation like that should be meet with aggresion. Its asult what he did. In my eyes due to my Ju Jitsu training i am taught to deal with situations like that and meet it with SAS ( Speed, Aggression and Surprise). If the situation ever get worse, defend yourself. Is it worth getting punched? No is the simple answer.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: got punched today... - 11/29/05 03:08 PM

Wow, you VTGs sure are babies. Maybe you should consider that a punch in the face isn't always reason to retaliate, but to make sure you don't get punched again.
Grow up.
Posted by: phoenixsflame

Re: got punched today... - 11/29/05 03:20 PM

Quote:

Wow, you VTGs sure are babies. Maybe you should consider that a punch in the face isn't always reason to retaliate, but to make sure you don't get punched again.
Grow up.

I'm so confused as to what a VTG is... But, I'll throw in my two cents

People are strange creatures. You and your friend are going about the way things have always been, and finally you say the same thing you've said two hundred times in a negative fashion about whatever aspect of their psyche you're poking "good clean fun" at...

And they snap.

They snap, because they've never told you that it affects them everytime you say that. They snap because once you said it, others in your cliche of friends have probably said the same thing. Maybe you're not even the original person who came up with this insult, this "aspect" that is to be mocked.

I've been on both sides, mocker/mockee. I've been hit in the jaw because I pushed someone to far, did I hit back? No. They are my friend and if they are acting in such a dramatic fashion there's reason that must be found out.

I've been hit in the jaw because someone was being aggressive and attacking me. Did I hit back? Yes. They weren't coming after me because I had pushed jokingly to far, they're attacking me for whatever other reason.

Huge difference, if you think that Self Defense is "protecting" yourself from your friend who snapped and hit you once in a sociology class. Thats not so good of a definition, unless he kept coming.
Posted by: -orangesiscool-

Re: got punched today... - 11/29/05 05:01 PM

Are you (mike) asking if you could have done better in general or for your rep? If after he sat down you went at him, I would have been on his side.

edited for puntuation

Re: got punched today... - 11/30/05 01:56 AM

Quote:

Which hurts worse, getting punched or getting mocked ?

Initially getting punched would hurt more,but the pain goes away eventually. The same with getting mocked I suppose.

phoenix,
A VTG(virtual tough guy)is smoeone whos posts make them seem ultra tough. I am naturally ultra ultra tough and completely undefeatable so I have no reason to post such nonsense and if you don't like it I'll beat up your whole dojo with one arm tied behind my back.
Posted by: Aka_Ryu

Re: got punched today... - 12/01/05 05:33 PM

I was not implying that he should do that, I was only implying if it goes to dier extremes, like a fight that was unexpected. Sorry if i came across to viloently.
Posted by: Intrepidinv1

Re: got punched today... - 12/28/05 10:28 PM

Farted on his head.