Training Blues(pun intended)

Posted by: BuDoc

Training Blues(pun intended) - 09/18/05 11:04 AM

Didn't want to get up for Sunday morning training today.

I had a good excuse. I just got back from New Orleans Friday night. 20 hr. days,little water,high heat, no training of any sort for 2 weeks.

But I love it. So I got my lazy a$$ out of bed and went.

Just walking in and seeing the guys made me feel great. And I was glad to have decided to get out of the bed.

And we rolled. And we rolled. And we rolled some more.

I felt great. I tapped all of the white belts, suprised a couple of blue belts and submitted them, and gave three others a good go, although I fell into the same trap 2 out of three times and was submitted

Then I rolled with my teacher. He would take defensive positions and give me openings of various lengths of time and see if I saw them and if I did see them, if I could try to capitalize. Then he would easily move me around and take an offensive position and see how well I would work out of it. EXHAUSTING!

Then without any ceremony, or fanfare (which is the way I have always done with my own students) he gave me my blue belt!

I am no prodigy in BJJ. That belt took 13 months with 4 lessons per week, including private instruction

But it sure does feel good.

I have always used the white belt and black belt only system for my own students. Having received my black belt a very long time ago, I had forgotten the the feeling of having a new piece of colored cloth around your waist.

Once again I question if a simple thing like colored belts can be a useful training tool/motivator

Page
Posted by: oldman

Re: Training Blues(pun intended) - 09/18/05 11:18 AM

I'm green with envy
Posted by: Cord

Re: Training Blues(pun intended) - 09/18/05 12:42 PM

Congrats 'BlueDoc' (you see what i did there? I so clever )

Not only a lesson for all us who sometimes fail the 'sunday morning test' , but also a nice upbeat turn at the end of what must have been a pretty grim time at work

Nice one, no matter what you decide on the merit of grading belts for your students, I hope yours brings you a rightful sense of achievement
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Training Blues(pun intended) - 09/18/05 07:24 PM

congrats on your progress... not trying to take anything away from your training, but I'm more impressed of you rolling in New Orleans. Top notch profesionalism by being where you are most needed... I believe thats what the modern definition of what warrior spirit is all about.
BTW...when you get your brown...please don't describe your 'Training browns' ...it just don't sound good.

sidenote: seriously, we gotta have a fightingarts.com convention sometime...I'd really like to meet the good souls buzzing here. The question is, should we all wear special hats and username tags? or maybe a live version of hoodat.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Training Blues(pun intended) - 09/18/05 07:33 PM

Quote:

sidenote: seriously, we gotta have a fightingarts.com convention sometime...I'd really like to meet the good souls buzzing here. The question is, should we all wear special hats and username tags? or maybe a live version of hoodat.

I've met good soul number one. I'm working on 3,4, and 5 in mid October.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Training Blues(pun intended) - 09/18/05 08:12 PM

Congrats BuDoc!

That is awesome. Nothing like EARNING your rank. I am very happy for you and slightly jealous. I just went to my first totally MMA sparring event, and was soundly defeated....4 times in a row.

But the only way to learn is to get in there and work. Which you have done. Keep on learning, and congratulations!!!
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Training Blues(pun intended) - 09/18/05 08:43 PM

congrats!
Posted by: schanne

Re: Training Blues(pun intended) - 09/19/05 08:24 AM

Good job, you have good attitude & spirit!
Posted by: sunspots

Re: Training Blues(pun intended) - 09/19/05 05:40 PM

My Sifu would say that training when you are tired and not ready IS the test. Obviously, you were up for it!

Congratulations on your promotion!

sunspots
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Training Blues(pun intended) - 09/19/05 10:01 PM

Good show, BuDoc! On both your newly achieved rank and your work in New Orleans
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Training Blues(pun intended) - 09/20/05 12:09 AM

Quote:

Good show, BuDoc! On both your newly achieved rank and your work in New Orleans

New Orleans, blue belt, blue bayou....hhhhmmmmm...... a touch of Zen here?

Spread your good karma around
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Training Blues(pun intended) - 09/21/05 06:23 PM

Good for your BuDoc. Though many don't buy into belts I understand their importance in many people's systems and why they are used. Not ony are they a guideline of where your training is at they also provide small goals for the students to progress. If I know there is a light at the end of a tunnel then I'm more inclined to move towards that light. But with Martial Arts there are many tunnels after that but it is sure nice to get to the end of one first before moving to the others.

Again good job.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Training Blues(pun intended) - 09/22/05 10:51 AM

Congratulations!

Quote:

Once again I question if a simple thing like colored belts can be a useful training tool/motivator

They can be used, but imho only when their use is not an exploitation of the students. And, (no offense) just because they are used doesn't necessarily mean anything about the student. It means that the teacher has given thought to how he/she would rate your performance compared to others. As with anything to do with people, such a comparison will always be subjective. Belts are powerful tools, despite how many (myself included) see them as only strips of cloth. One should not throw a belt system around without great care and attention. These systems can quickly go from being somewhat representative of reality to entirely fictional.

Best of luck with your ongoing training.
Posted by: goju_girl

Re: Training Blues(pun intended) - 10/22/05 02:02 PM

Hey there, congrats on your new belt! Hope you enjoy it, and best of luck with learning all the new things that come with it
ttyl
-Nikita