ahhh my head!

Posted by: webby

ahhh my head! - 08/26/05 01:09 PM

well... last month!! i was sparrin with a yello belt who was about 2 years younger then me!! as im a black belt i was taking it easy...i came at him doing all these hook kicks and double jumping kick and all that more advance stuff!! when this 11 year old kid dropped to the floor and did i turning heel sweep!! i went down hard! suffering minor concution!! 2 weeks later when we had to do sparring the yellow belt picked me to fight him!!! this time i lost my control and roundhouse kick him to the face!! i wont that fight!! the morrel of this storry is:: never underestimate ur partner!!
Posted by: JoelM

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/26/05 02:32 PM

Another moral would be to grow up before you hurt somebody.

Just a question...How is "doing all these hook kicks and double jumping kick and all that more advance stuff" taking it easy on him?

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/26/05 04:09 PM

^^^^ because i was doing them slowly..making it obvious to him what i was doing!! but that was my mistake
Posted by: Kintama

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/26/05 04:49 PM

listen, you got your sho-dan at age 12 right? so it's a pretty safe bet that you are at a mcdojo. this is further evidenced by the instructor (who is probably a teenager) allowing a beginner and advanced rank to contact spar.

while it's great you are training in something, we all eventually realize we ain't all dat. you should read more and do less posting. I'll take my own advice as well.
Posted by: Paranormalma

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/26/05 05:59 PM

Ditto to all of the points above...

"this time i lost my control and roundhouse kick him to the face!! i wont that fight!! "

Looking at this post, you shouldn't be allowed to train in the martial arts...not until you mature-let alone wear a black belt (even though it likely means nothing where you train, after all everyone has one). You kicked someone in the face-someone younger and with less training than yourself. Congrats
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/27/05 09:48 AM

Quote:

this time i lost my control and roundhouse kick him to the face!! i wont that fight!! the morrel of this storry is:: never underestimate ur partner!!

That's dispicable. You have no shame coming here and gloating about it, people like you give black belts a sorry image.

I heard of a time about 30 years ago when people in my area used to fear martial artists because they would go around doing what you described to their students.

You certainly have set a poor example for your students to follow, revenge is not a good enough reason to dispense your twisted sense of justice.

I think you have a lot to learn.

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/27/05 01:45 PM

Quote:

listen, you got your sho-dan at age 12 right? so it's a pretty safe bet that you are at a mcdojo. this is further evidenced by the instructor (who is probably a teenager) allowing a beginner and advanced rank to contact spar.

while it's great you are training in something, we all eventually realize we ain't all dat. you should read more and do less posting. I'll take my own advice as well.

i thought i would just share my MISTAKES<<<mistakes its a mistake i made in the past!!!! now if u dnt want me to post my storries then just say so!! and my instructure has just turned 43 and is a very good instructure!!!!

www.centraldojo.co.uk <<<<< a club from my assotion<<<<< go to the instructer page!! my instructur is mark shaw!!

www.fsk-karate.com <<< my assotion now visite it!!!
Posted by: GojuRyuboy13

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/27/05 03:43 PM

Not a very good BB to lose control are you?

You should have complimented the kid for sweeping you, it obviously worked. Regardless of doing techniques slow how does that help him, it's easy to react to slow things, no matter how advanced they are. The kid is still learning like you, so work at his level, with basics and simple things, not super slow.

The little kid has an excuse to not be able to control his sweeps, he is still young and learning. You don't have any excuse to kick him like that. If you are going to do that make light to no contact, don't knock him out. Who wants to learn from someone who does that to em?

I hope you learned something.........

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/27/05 03:58 PM

yes i learnt something as i said!!! it was a mistake that i just shared with you all!! people saying bb sholdnt bee making mistakes!! every one makes mistakes!!!
Posted by: Eric4444

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/27/05 04:09 PM

I noticed on your schools website it says Sensei Mark Shaw, thats incorrect, it should be Mark Shaw Sensei.
Posted by: GojuRyuboy13

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/27/05 09:36 PM

Well you are just kid, I suppose kids are a lot more prone to making mistakes than adults. Just one question why does your school award black belts to kids under 18 years of age.

Don't most systems have the requirement set as 18 to test for BB. I know you can get a junior BB at 16 in my school.
Posted by: Celebrian

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/28/05 06:21 AM

hmm...-frown- there are multiple things in that story that don't seem right...

just to let you know, its much easier to use a full stop than an exclamation mark. 1 key instead of 2
Posted by: hugo

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/29/05 12:48 AM

Well said Joel. This guy obviously doesn't know how to control his temper.

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/29/05 08:40 AM

saw the video on the website...looks like the vanilla slap-tag sparring we've unfortunately come to expect with Shotokan clubs. http://www.centraldojo.co.uk/html/film.htm
The over-reaching on strikes is the dead givaway...sometimes the rear leg is off the floor - it's no wonder you got swept if you are doing sparring like this.
Posted by: Eric4444

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/29/05 10:39 AM

The 1st Kyu test on that website looks about as hard as our 9th test.

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/30/05 08:37 AM

Quote:

saw the video on the website...looks like the vanilla slap-tag sparring we've unfortunately come to expect with Shotokan clubs. http://www.centraldojo.co.uk/html/film.htm
The over-reaching on strikes is the dead givaway...sometimes the rear leg is off the floor - it's no wonder you got swept if you are doing sparring like this.

i agree with that^^^^^ the person that does the sweeping is from my fedartion!!! not the guy that got sweeped!
Posted by: MAGr

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/30/05 09:34 AM

Hey, mind if but in?
No?
Excellent!
I am of the opinion that not everyone has a supreme zen philosophy that they adhere to. Yes there are some black belts that are not the beacon of light that people have come to expect (because of movies). In MAs there are characters of all sorts and there are the greedy ones, the evil ones, the kind one, the suckers etc etc.
My point is that this guy lost control whilst fighting a junior student. First of all he is not (age wise) that much more refined than the kid he beat anyway. Secondly it probably serves as a lesson to the yellow belt who picked him again no to get too cocky. I also agree that you shouldnt lose your temper or composure especially if you have the supposed BB discipline. I dont know if the BB is in a McDojo or not, nor do I care to judge. Each school I haverealised has its own methods and like the students most teachers are not the same and are not all masters of their art.
Are you larning MAs?
Do you enjoy it?
Are you developing your body and mind?
Those are the important questions for a teenager.
It is after you reach a certain level of understanding that you are fit to choose what style and what school and what attitude is good. Who are we to tell kids that santa clause is dead?

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/30/05 11:25 AM

There is/was no Santa Clause. Telling them he's dead only prolongs their illusions.

Much like giving black belts to a 12-year old.

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/30/05 11:44 AM

Thats great Magr and is relavent for kids under 10.

When kids are old enough to ask the right questions, I tell them Santa is based on a real person, 'saint Nicolas' who lived more than 1,500 years ago and had the reputation of gift giving. dead? or alive? I let them decide, but if asked, I say I believe while his body is very dead, his spirit is very much alive.

are not Master pre-teen and teen black-belts already artificially inflated enough to where we have to perpetuate the illusion? How many gifts does a kid need to recieve on Christmas in order to understand it's spirit?
Posted by: Cord

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/30/05 12:55 PM

wh..wh..what do you mean there is no Santa?

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/30/05 01:24 PM

let's put it this way...if you leave cookies and milk out overnight and they are virtually untouched in the morning, it probably means Santa was grateful but your parents weren't hungry.

watch "Miracle on 34th Street" for other answers, Cord ;-)
Posted by: Cord

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/30/05 01:45 PM

I always leave antacids out for him, and a bunch of carrots for the reindeer (true)

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/30/05 01:58 PM

You are a very thoughtful person. apparently, however, neither one of us is thoughtful enough to keep this thread on topic

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/31/05 06:17 AM

*single-handedly tugs topic back on track*

Anyway...point I am making is that it doesnt matter if 12 yearolds are under the illusion that they are BB masters. When I was 12 I played out fantasies of being a spy, a ninja etc etc. If they think they are masters it may even make them a bit more responsible with the skills they have acquired.
They will realise the fallacy of their beliefs when they get their butts handed to them by a 9 yearold girl, or when they are old enough to perform the elusive skill of self critisism.

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/31/05 08:34 AM

Quote:

When I was 12 I played out fantasies of being a spy, a ninja etc etc.

Yes, but the CIA did not hand you a spy kit and a ninja did not give you tabi boots.
The thing is that people giving out black belts willy-nilly to anybody who pays for three years is unacceptable.
Posted by: Meanstreak

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/31/05 11:10 AM

"There is/was no Santa Clause. Telling them he's dead only prolongs their illusions.

Much like giving black belts to a 12-year old."

Hey Joel, awesome line there. Mind if i use it in my sig (naturally with full credit to yourself as the maker of said quip )

Re: ahhh my head! - 08/31/05 11:15 AM

Go for it. I'll be famous!!

Re: ahhh my head! - 09/01/05 01:43 PM

i didnt get my black belt "willy nilly"!! the sensai that graded me has failed 13-year-olds from my club many times and ive seen it!!

i think wat u guys dont understand that im a "junior" BB i think most clubs give junor BB!!
Posted by: Meanstreak

Re: ahhh my head! - 09/01/05 09:38 PM

Hi all,

Joel thanks for the permission - though it turns out that the line is too long for a signature.

Oh well, yours in search of biting lines
Meanstreak
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: ahhh my head! - 09/02/05 03:29 AM

Quote:

i didnt get my black belt "willy nilly"!! the sensai that graded me has failed 13-year-olds from my club many times and ive seen it!!

i think wat u guys dont understand that im a "junior" BB i think most clubs give junor BB!!

A junior BB isn't a problem. Giving someone under a certain age a "junior" BB is no big deal. It's all the people out there handing out BBs like there's no tomorrow that gives me a headache.

Now, to read the full thread and catch up on what's going on.

I guess I didn't miss much by actually reading the thread. Oh well, I gave you my two cents, FWIW.
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: ahhh my head! - 09/02/05 07:29 AM

Sparring with less advanced fighters than yourself, means taking a beating and pulling your punches.

Its about teaching, not arse kicking.

If you don't like to get hit, quit!
Posted by: Gavin

Re: ahhh my head! - 09/02/05 07:45 AM

I'm not against 13 year old BB's either per se. I do however believe that a club should make a distinction between a junior black belt and a senior. Think we covered a similar thing in the Karate forum yesterday.

If a kid is only being shown very basic stuff, a front punch, and side kick, a kata or two, etc, then its pretty reasonable to expect that kid to aquire a BB in 3 years.

We've got a local TKD club down here, think their called the "Little Dragons" or something and they are fanastic. Doing flips, some really nifty weapon work and generally having a whale of a time. I really loved watching the kids do their thing, gives them a purpose and keeps them off the street. My 6 year old son loved it, but won't do it coz he has his heart set on Kempo and Wing Chun. Really getting annoying keep asking to start learning, I won't teach him Kempo till his older and his uncles Sifu has said the same about the Wing Chun. Doesn't bloody stop him asking every week though! Arrrgh the next generation of the King family MA's well under way!

I digress, as I said I love seeing the kids do their stuff. If they really enjoy it and train really hard, why shouldn't they earn a BB? However when they go into the adult class, its then time to tell them Santa's dead and show them the real stuff. Make them regrade for BB under the adult syllabus. As we discused yesterday, its not really the technique that changes, but the applications! Give 'im the techniques as kids, give 'im the applications as adults! IMVHO
Posted by: StormDOA

Re: ahhh my head! - 09/04/05 01:15 AM

I don't think a whole lot more needs to be said, this is a horrible example of a martial arts school and the results of martial arts training. TYhis is the problem with McDojo's they do not give students the time needed to achieve the wisdom concordant with their rank. As importantly this supports my theory as to why children should not be black belts.
Posted by: heikeshogun

Re: ahhh my head! - 09/04/05 11:59 PM

or maybe the moral of the story is do white belt kickcs and don't own on a poor little yellow belt when you're black. No wonder he kicked your butt, he must have been scared out of his mind. I enjoy sparring brown belts and I'm green, but that's because they don't do jump spins and flip off my face even though I know they can (little exageration there, but you get the point). I don't mean to be rude at all , but honestly that was a little harsh. It doesn't matter how slow you go in my opinion, he's yellow, he's not gonna be able to block it even if he had all the warning in the world.
Posted by: BlackRose

Re: ahhh my head! - 09/05/05 12:43 AM

You're a black belt and you're bragging about beating a yellow belt??? And not only is it a yellow belt, but an eleven year old, but you're still gonna brag. I understand this is a place where you can share your stories, but in a non-derogatory way. And that just seems like you're trying to make us think you're superior 'cause you can kick an eleven year olds ass!!! Now see, THAT'S lame.
Posted by: BlackRose

Re: ahhh my head! - 09/05/05 04:08 PM

oh yeah, btw, being a black belt isn't all about being able to perform all the kicks, it's also about having a good attitude. Being happy about being able to kick a yellow belts butt is NOT a good attitude. Black belts are supposed to have a winners attitude and be HAPPY when someone beats them because it means they had proper training, not be mad and take it out on them next time you spar. You must be an amateur not to know that.

Re: ahhh my head! - 09/06/05 06:57 AM

I think a lot of martial artists have a strange perception of their lives and of reality. Just because someone is a black belt in whatever does that deprive him of his childhood and the joy of being irresponsible. Of course with ANY type of knowledge comes responsibility but gimme a break guys. Its not that big of a deal that a black belt DURING SPARRING showed the persistent white belt that there is a good reason for the rank difference. At the end of the day not everyone is a martial artist AND a buddhist.

Martial arts is an art and that makes it about INDIVIDUAL expression, kids should be encouraged to develop a good attitude but not an angelic one. It is about fighting after all. People worship UFC fighters (hardly Harvard graduates, most likely ex-thugs) but critisize kids for being kids. I m sure those kids have kissed and made up by now and its all in the familly anyway.
I think us MAists take ourselves too seriously, and with the attitudes that we hold against the rest of the world its no wander that the myth that we should register ourselves as lethal weapons has perpetuated.

Re: ahhh my head! - 09/06/05 10:30 PM

Maybe I am too "buddhist" or idealistic, but I disagree with just about everything in your post.

Re: ahhh my head! - 09/28/05 02:09 PM

Quote:

wh..wh..what do you mean there is no Santa?

Here is the difinitive answer on this Cord. sorry man.
http://www.6v6gt.com/humor/SC_RIP.jpg
Posted by: UofM Shorin Ryu

Re: ahhh my head! - 09/28/05 03:39 PM

Kids will be kids, irresponsible and irritating, this is a fact of life.
Saying that Martial Arts are about fighting(which in itself is rather subjective) and that kids should be encouraged with this type of behavior/attitude isn't necessarily a good thing.

Yes, sparring and hitting are apart of the game, but hence the reason we have "good sportmanship" standards.

I think it's a BIG deal that the BB "showed the persistent white belt that there is a good reason for the rank difference". Why? One word: bullying.

Bullies beat up people to show them "who's boss". The BB beat up the yellow belt to show him "who's boss".
If this type of behavior isn't reprimanded, the child never learns and it is never corrected. This is why there are adults who are complete a$$holes too, cause they were BB's beating up white belts as children.

The BB should have encouraged his training partner productively, instead of proving his "superiority".
Posted by: Enray

Re: ahhh my head! - 10/02/05 03:04 PM

That's pretty mean what you did to that kid. At the dojo I go to, if an advance student is partnered with a less experienced one, the advanced student is only allowed to block. That way nobody gets hurt. Your goal should not be to beat the kid up, it should be to teach him how to use the type of m.a your using in actual combat.
Posted by: AshiharaStudent

Re: ahhh my head! - 10/06/05 09:22 AM

Quote:

why shouldn't they earn a BB? However when they go into the adult class, its then time to tell them Santa's dead and show them the real stuff. Make them regrade for BB under the adult syllabus. As we discused yesterday, its not really the technique that changes, but the applications! Give 'im the techniques as kids, give 'im the applications as adults! IMVHO

I totally agree with this. In our school we have a 15 and 17yr old in with the adult class cause they are mature and train as hard as the adults. One of them started as a junior and got to brown belt (2nd kyu), but when he started coming to the adult classes, he got taken back to blue belt (8th kyu). He didn't start again as he can perform all of the more basic techniques very well, but is now building on them.

p.s. these guys aren't black belts yet and won't be for a good couple of years.