Big Trucker

Posted by: Goliath

Big Trucker - 06/28/05 06:20 PM

This story happened when I was 15 at an end of the year BBQ with my Cadet unit. My commanding officer was a big (overweight) trucker. Not a very nice guy, and in my impression, somewhat racist. Essentially, he was a rubber stamp though, the past commanding officer was still running the show but her term had finished.

We were having a water fight and he got quite involved in it. He was pushing kids, wrestling water guns out of their hands, he even sat on a couple of kids. (The majority of these kids were between 12 and 16, the oldest age you can remain a cadet is 18). Needless to say, some people were uncomfortable with his actions.

I went to the shack in order to fill a bunch of water balloons. I held them all in my shirt as I walked. On my way back to the camp site, my CO starting poping them all was I struggled to get past. I took a knee and turtled to protect that last 2 or 3 I had left. He pressesd his enourmous weight on me and stuck his fat hands through the gaps in my arms.

The president of the parent association and my Training Officer were witness to this but stood by idle. At this point I was angry and decided that I wanted a little more than to defend my balloons. I flipped him over my right shoulder and applied a rear naked choke (not a very good one as I was a karateka and not a judo kai). He sputtered out, "if you don't let go of me, I'm going to get up, and hit you." I loosed my grip a bit, as he broke out I stood up and readied myself, hands down while there was still some distance between the two of us. He took two steps at me, looked at the parent and officer watching, and then walked away.

Was that an appropriate use of martial arts in your opinion? How would you have handled it? Keep in mind I was 15.
Posted by: Rayman452

Re: Big Trucker - 06/28/05 07:10 PM

Doesn't that sort of go against the lines of CHAP? I suggest going to your UHRA and tell him/her about this incident, as he/she will be able to bring it to your regonal officer who can bring it up the chain and have him removed if need be.
Posted by: Goliath

Re: Big Trucker - 06/29/05 10:38 AM

Quote:

Doesn't that sort of go against the lines of CHAP? I suggest going to your UHRA and tell him/her about this incident, as he/she will be able to bring it to your regonal officer who can bring it up the chain and have him removed if need be.

That absolutely goes against CHAPP. But given who was watching ... I put too much faith in authority. When they didn't do anything, I just assumed that nothing could/should have been done.

Of course I see it in a different light now, that event was years ago. It just came to my mind as the last time I used martial arts.
Posted by: Rayman452

Re: Big Trucker - 06/29/05 10:53 AM

You still shuold have gone to your UHRA, your CHAP training should have taught you that. Your CO should not have been doing that, and could be doing that to other Cadets still. The problem still remains, and you should talk to someone about this...
Posted by: Paranormalma

Re: Big Trucker - 07/01/05 10:41 AM

To give you my opinion on your question Goliath, yes, if you did indeed feel that more than your balloons were in danger, then it was an acceptable use of your training. Even if he wasn't out to do damage, you had/have the right to defend yourself. The fact that you used reasonable force as well would have kept you in the right in the eyes of the law...that and your CO's inappropriate acts.
Posted by: Crazy_Eyes

Re: Big Trucker - 07/03/05 11:59 PM

Yep, thats CHAP by far, depends on how long ago you where in though, they might not have had it yet, anyways back to the point, Yes I'd say that it was a valid reason to use your martial arts, especially if he threatened you or otherwise, You should have gone to your UHRA...sounds like you had one screwed up unit if the superiors just stood there
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Big Trucker - 07/07/05 01:16 PM

I'd have tightened the choke rather than releasing it.

He was still a threat and threatening. Relinquishing a dominant position when there is still a threat is tactically poor.
Posted by: CatnPhx

Re: Big Trucker - 07/09/05 11:19 PM

I agree with JohnL ... I wouldn't have let go either until there was complete understanding that you were in charge and the threat didn't exist anymore. Also, if you felt threatened then you had every right to defend yourself but if you were defending your balloons then I think you made an error in judgement. Just my opinon.
Posted by: Intrepidinv1

Re: Big Trucker - 07/17/05 02:51 PM

Sounds like he needed someone to bring him down a peg or two and you did. He wanted to play rough so more power to you. I think you were right to let off on the choke in that particular situation. Good story.