Don't Sneeze!

Posted by: Eric4444

Don't Sneeze! - 06/23/05 09:55 PM

This actually happened about a year ago, but I was just thinking about it tonight and decided to post it.
I was in my third year of Tkd. There was also a man, in his mid 20's attending. He was a "boxer" and made himself out to be a tough guy, kind of an, "Im better than you" attitude. Well, I was paired up with him for self defense. We were doing different holds, joint locks, a little bit of ground fighting, and it all went smoothly. Well, then we were told to do one and two step sparring.

Now, we'll usually do this from a natural position. So, it starts off with everything going fine. Our instructor goes over to help two younger students. My partner punches, i block it, i forget what I did next, i went to finish with a roundhouse kick, well as i go for the roundhouse, he suddenly sneezes, and i guess as an instinct, brings his head to his hand. However, his head also went into the path of my roundhouse. This kick wasn't even hard, I mean, its one step punching, you aren't trying to hurt the person, it was maybe half my strength. It caught him just right though apparently. I hit him in the chin, and my instructor turns around, sees him stumble back a few steps, then fall down, out cold for about 10 or 15 seconds. Before I could give an explanation I was being yelled at and was down doing 100 pushups. Of course later he explained what happened and my instructor apologized to me. However, this guy was never looked at for being so tough again, he also never showed back up. I felt really bad afterwards, I apologized and I guess it wasn't really my fault, I just feel as if I should have been able to stop the kick.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Don't Sneeze! - 06/24/05 11:21 AM

Yes, I have been there.

When I was about 15 or 16 (blue belt) I was at a sparring class one night. Everything was going fine, we were doing 5 minute (or so) rounds and rotating people around the room.

I get paired up with a somewhat younger girl, maybe 13 years old, a little shorter than me. She actually fought pretty aggressively (in the sense that she was all about attack). Problem was, she was not very good.

She comes charging in with the typical leaning jabs and backfists, point style. I am working my footwork and defense mostly. However, one time she charges me, and sort of catches me off guard. Out of instinct, I raise my leg to do a shin block. *WHAM* She runs face first into my knee.

Bleeding, and crying. Oh Lord, here comes all the high ranks. "What happened?" I tell them, since she is still crying. Everybody seems satisfied that it was an accident.

Except for one brown belt, a guy known as "Doc". He comes up to me after class and quietly gives me the speech about what he'll do to me if I ever bust up a girl again. I am terrified, and angry because it really WAS an accident.

Needless to say, I was SUPER careful at the next few sparring classes when I was paired with any females.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Don't Sneeze! - 06/24/05 11:44 AM

I used to go round to my friend's flat for mamoth weekends of drinking, weed and horror movies (Why cant I be 19 again? ). He had a third floor flat in a house with a communal stairway.He was very lazy so when I arrived he would always lean out the window and throw his keys down so I could let myself in.
One day I get to the top of the stairs and he leaps out of his front door wearing a 'faceless' mike myers type mask, his girlfriends flowery dress and brandishing a machete!!
Instinct took over and I smacked him and put him on his arse. He had done it as a joke and now he is sat crying on his landing. I felt terrible anyway, but when I helped him off with the mask I had split his lip open really badly.
He forgave me after a few beers and we laughed about it for years after. I know its not strictly on topic, but its as close as I can get.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: Don't Sneeze! - 06/24/05 11:47 AM

Quote:

I used to go round to my friend's flat for mamoth weekends of drinking, weed and horror movies (Why cant I be 19 again? ). .He was very lazy so when I arrived he would always lean out the window and throw his keys down so I could let myself in.

Hey,Its me! how are you doing man? Long time no see!
Posted by: Mich

Re: Don't Sneeze! - 06/24/05 05:23 PM

I have a friend that studied American Kenpo for a couple years. One summer he went to a church summer camp as a camp counselor. Each night the counselors had to do a cabin check, and in one cabin he walked in, all the lights flipped off and someone jumped him. Within seconds he had instinctively thrown the guy to the ground. He found the lights and there on the floor was some poor disabled kid. Oops! Fortunately no one was hurt.
Posted by: Warwolph

Re: Don't Sneeze! - 06/24/05 06:31 PM

umm not really fighting... but when I was a kid I decided to have a go at gymnastics (gave up after a couple of sessions) I run up to the block, and do some sort of backflip by accident... everyone turns around, it's amazing etc. land on my feet.. and I get yelled at for haveing done something very dangerous that should only be tried at a higher level.... but I did it by accident...... I've hated gymnastics ever since and I never went back. Told off for being naturally too good... would put anyone off it .. also another funny thing is when you spar with someone who's more experienced than you, he corrects you and you tell him he's wrong, he gets pissed and hands you over to the teacher and wail wail yell yell you were right he was wrong and he has to do a hundred push ups for losing his cool..
Posted by: GaryHanson

Re: Don't Sneeze! - 07/14/05 08:26 AM

Quote:

I felt really bad afterwards, I apologized and I guess it wasn't really my fault, I just feel as if I should have been able to stop the kick.

Yes Eric,

It's not a nice feeling. Last Sunday I delivered a good front kick (much to my surprise) and fractured two fingers on my sparing partner. He had, in error, blocked with an open hand with his fingers spread apart.
Although I consider myself somewhat blameless, it did make me feel sick and very sad that I had caused injury to a really good team mate.

Whilst you didn't set out to cause harm, you can at least comfort yourself that your sparing partner was in need of an 'attitude adjustment'

Gary.
Posted by: Mike_L

Re: Don't Sneeze! - 11/11/05 12:33 PM

I am a student of kukkiwon (WTF) Taekwondo and I also kickbox/ do some MMA. Well one day there was this huge guy (maybe 260 or 270 lbs) he came to train with us in our MMA class. I was only 15. He was very over confidant and borderline cocky. I was parred up to spar with him, because I was one of the more experianced members. He came at me full force with a total lack of control (and no acknoledgement that he was an adult and I was only 15 regardless of my experiance) I stayed calm and through a full force kick to his ribs, but he sneezed also and dropped his hands. The kick ended up knocking him out. I felt really bad. But secretly a little happy to because he was so cocky.
Posted by: traq

Re: Don't Sneeze! - 11/18/05 01:06 PM

I was sparring with a guy once, a younger black belt, and as it happened, he tried to grab my leg for a takedown at the same time I tried to raise it for a kick... he slammed his left eye straight into my knee. I felt bad because he fell over, had to leave class early, and had a black eye for about three weeks afterwards. It's okay though, he got to tell tall tales to the high school chicks
Posted by: Street_Poet

Re: Don't Sneeze! - 01/01/06 05:37 PM

lol this chick i know in BJJ, she was going for an armbar from the guard (u have to move your leg around some1's head). she was doing it to another friend of mine, both of these ppl have little experience and were lacking inspiration to go on. The chick through her leg over (incorrectly, she kicked it over, instead of just moving it) and broke the guy's nose, ALONG with almost breaking his arm. poor guy, he quit, while the chick stills trains lol.
Posted by: Eveal

Re: Don't Sneeze! - 02/01/06 07:07 AM

I was doing a demostration of Advanced Ippon Kumite (same as one step but they are not set) and I was working with one of my students. I did a series of combonations and ended with a spinning hook kick. I ended up stepping too close to my uke and the spin hook kick caught him right in his eye socket and on the side of his nose. I was able to pull some of the power but it still hit him square and he fell foward KOed for a few secs. He came back to class and had a nice blood welp over his eye and black eye. Every since then I have been shy of throwing spinning hook kicks in sparring, ippon or anything lol. Good thing is, the people joined our class afterwards.

Another one was I was holding a rebreakable board for a white belt. We have one of the old rebreakable boards that are very solid and about 1.5" thick (the ones that hurt badly if you dont break it lol). We were doing front snap kicks and this guy ran up and football kicked the board. It flew our of my hands and straight into my nose. You want to talk about some pain, I wish it would have just broken my nose it so bad but I shrugged it off after the blood stopped. It was swollen with a bruise for weeks.

MAs is contact environment and its going to happen some time or another. I just hate when parents or students cry about things that are not worth crying about.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Don't Sneeze! - 02/01/06 08:38 AM

In the immortal words of Sensei John Kreese "This is Karate old man! Not basket weaving!"

=) unfortunately I'm usually on the receiving end of mistakes. To date I'm at 5 broken ribs, a shattered right foot, and at least 4 broken toes (including both big ones)

I'm back at 100% now unless you count mentally, but thats a whole different story :P