Martial Arts Family?

Posted by: OperationSkinnyNinja

Martial Arts Family? - 05/18/05 10:55 PM

The details are unimportant, but I've recently adopted the belief that most serious martial artist had a family member, usually the father, who studied some art way back when. Just been talking to some friends and we realized each of us had an martial artist father. So how many of you had MA parents? Or, how many of you were actually the first of their family to embrace the dojo life?

And by the way, my father, who's just entered his fifties, can still put a whoopin' on my college-butt any day. You never understand the physics behind someone who was ready for Vietnam still kicking over your head in the new millenium.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 05/18/05 11:33 PM

First in my family. Don't know anybody in my extended family that does any martial arts, either.
Posted by: Strider_Hanzo

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 05/19/05 01:23 AM

my father and both my gandfather's were pretty good at boxing each had won their own tournaments and i think my oldest grandpa was a champion in whatever region that he trained in... i guess i'm the first of the new blood to give learning how to "fight" a try. Though at first they thought it was different and a bit weird, they've grown to accept it. LOL oh man i just remembered when i went to visit my grandfather in Peru. I purchased some sparring gear and me and my cousin were tyring it on. Then my grandpa(94) years old came in and saw my cousin and put up his dukes and shifted his weight to the back like those professional boxers who are so good that they can fight with their hands down at times.. I was impressed he could still move fluidly though.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 05/19/05 07:24 AM

I am the first and only in my family.

Page
Posted by: harlan

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 05/19/05 08:36 AM

Well, I am the first in my family to take on a martial art formally, especially one outside of my culture.

I think it might have a lot to do with having a martial history in one's family as well. I mean, if your dad was an Army man...probably you will be one too.

The martial aspect in my family goes way back. My family has fought in every war in this country (both sides) going back to the 1700's. I have pics on the wall of my ancestors from the Civil War, and xeroxs of commission papers that date to the early 1800's. Before that, well there is a long history of Scots, who when the fishing went bad, went to Europe as mercenaries. Oh, and then there is the Viking blood!
Posted by: Gemini

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 05/19/05 08:44 AM

I'm the first in my family to practice any form of MA. That being said, now all three of my sons practice TKD with me and my wife and I do Kendo, so it's a whole family environment. The "new" family tradition.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 05/19/05 01:00 PM

My older brother was the first. I follow him by about 11-12 years.
Posted by: sunspots

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 05/19/05 01:20 PM

My daughter started, and dropped out, so I am the only one in my family doing Martial Arts. The rest all think I am nuts to be doing this at my age, and ask when I am going to quit. (When the sun goes supernova!)
Posted by: MN JC

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 05/20/05 02:01 PM

I am the first in my family (started 28 years ago) and am happy to report that all four of my kids also do MA's. Now if I could just get my wife to go we would be all set.
Posted by: Inuyasha

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 05/20/05 05:25 PM

In my family, My cousin in hawaii does Wing chun and Jujuitsu, My Uncle in the philippines does TRACMA........
Posted by: kusojiji

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 05/22/05 03:48 PM

Growing up with two older brothers who were great wrestlers...it was necessary for survival!
Posted by: Celebrian

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 05/24/05 04:54 AM

my sister was the first in my family to study martial arts, and im the second. so its kind of a new tradition too ^^
Posted by: Foolsgold

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 05/24/05 12:52 PM

I'm the first. Nobody who was in any wars, no former soldiers in my family, I don't even think any of my extended family have ever been in any fights. Holy crap! Now that I think about it, what was I thinking?

I think my grandpa was involved in some police action. Other than that, I suppose we're all just lucky. Or wusses.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 05/24/05 03:24 PM

as far as I know (from 1830's), I'm the first in the family to have practiced MA. War is very much in my history however. Three generations of fatherless sons due to killed in action during war soon after the birth of the next gen. I stopped that trend by being lucky enough to serve during a cold war (my time was done just before the persian gulf business).

I'm carrying on the enthusiasm for MA to my kids...who knows if it will remain part of their lives-that is their decision.
Posted by: Carbone

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 05/24/05 09:52 PM

Father does Shotokan, Keyoko-shin-kai-kin (dont know how to spell, its filipino) and shoenru
Posted by: shorin-ji

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 05/25/05 02:57 PM

i am the first to actually commit to martial arts (my dad did maby a year of judo if that) the only other person might be my grandpa who did boxing for a while and someone else in my extended family (havent ever met him) was a golden gloves champion.
Posted by: kagemusha

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 06/09/05 06:02 PM

My granfather is a karate black belt, and has some training(although i dont know how much)in judo, jiu-jitsu and aikido(but he doesn't train any MA nowadays) my mother and father met each other for the first time in a karate class.
My uncle has some training in some MA, but I don't know which one, and he doesn't train anymore.
I train with the same sensei that taught Karate for my mother and for my grandfather(oldest and strongest man i know)
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 06/10/05 01:05 PM

Hey! I was in Vietnam, and I can kick high.

My uncle was a BB (TKD, in the 50s) and my great-uncle knew savate. My father was in the 101st Airborne in WWII, and was taught a little Yawara. First time I came across that term was a few years ago; it's a precursor to jiu-jitsu. He was awfully good at hitting pressure points.
Posted by: yamig

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 06/11/05 08:00 PM

I'm the first one in my family to take a martial art. (tae kwon do)

My dad did have a respect for martial arts, though, as well as physical conditioning.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 06/12/05 05:36 AM

My dad was in the Navy, and saw action in the last 2 years of WWII! He also boxed for the Navy. From there he joined the Metropolitan Police and Transferred to the Royal Hong Kong Force, where he served for 25 years. During this time he says he never felt compelled to learn a Chinese MA as he was armed
I am the first in my family to learn eastern MA but my Mum and Dad have always been incredibly supportive.(they bought me a Paul Chen Katana as a joint birthday/celebrate the passing of my first Grading present last year!)
My Dad is 77 this year, still does 20 mins with a bullworker every morning, trains on the heavy bag with me when I visit, and just took delivery of his new KTM Super Duke 900cc sports bike!!
Posted by: Moby Joe

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 06/12/05 08:01 AM

My dad did Judo in his younger years. While he doesn't do it now, he still has that trademark judoka grip.
Posted by: KDJ

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 06/17/05 07:42 PM

Our family has made a significant investment both in time and financially to our local Dojo (Isshinryu Karate). We first started our youngest son in the school (age 5 at the time) to help him with self-control issues. That progressed to my youngest daughter (age 7). My wife entered me in a contest at the Dojo which I was fortunate enough to receive (3 months free) and ended up being one of the best things that have happened to me. My eldest daughter (age 11) joined with me and my wife followed soon after - along with my oldest son from a previous marriage (6 in all!). We have been involved with our Dojo for about a year now (6 months for my eldest daughter and I) and have met some great people and really feel part of a great school and family. So hopefully our children will have simialure stories as they get older.
Posted by: tkdkraig

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 06/25/05 01:28 PM

I and my daughter are both in TKD. My sons were when they were younger. Now the are into organized sports, but still come to class from time to time. It is a great family activity. I hope they keep the tradition going when they have families.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 06/25/05 03:30 PM

I'm the first in my immediate family, although I have an uncle who studied WC for a couple of years from a friend. My brother joined TKD after my parents said it'd be "good for him" and enjoyed studying for about 6-7 years until he quit. My cousins have recently joined MA (Mok Gar KF) and found, much to their surprise that my uncle is tougher than he looks. They're more serious about MA since they found that out.

I think that MA can be great for family and when I start my own, I'm sure I'll introduce it to my kids, no question.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 06/27/05 08:34 AM

Quote:

I'm sure I'll introduce it to my kids, no question.

I wouldnt force it on my kids though because they may quit from pressure or because they dont like it. I m not even going to offer. I know I will be practicing at home when I get older, and I will teach them if they ask me and I know they are serious about learning. Not because I cant be bothered, but because I would love for them to learn it and love it as much as I do and not just quit after a little while.

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 06/27/05 11:43 AM

I think you misunderstand, I don't want to force anyone to do anything. What's the point? If they don't want to do it then they'll eventually quit, time and effort wasted and probably much grief.

By "introduce", I mean show them what it's about. I want them to see that the flying kicks they do in the movies are really possible. I will show them how it's not magic, only body mechanics and physics and then I'll tell them about chi and "Eastern" beliefs about energy.

Whether they do MA or not is not my business. However I think I want them to be educated about MA, so they aren't naive about it. I think parents should educate children about such things if they can.
Posted by: PierrePressure

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 07/03/05 01:19 PM

My grandfather boxed when he was younger, and was rather good at it, from what I hear. I also have a second cousin who trained in TKD, and *I'm nearly completely positive* she qualified for the Olympic team. She didn't get to go to the Olympics, however, because she got into some mess (like a car wreck or something) and badly injured her knee. But now she's married to a guy who promotes fights for people like Oscar de la Hoya (sp?) and such. Other than that, I'm pretty much the only one.
Posted by: Uthan

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 07/06/05 09:21 PM

My dad was a 4th degree black belt in a style of karate that I have long since forgotten the name.
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 07/11/05 07:39 AM

My, two older brothers were in Judo for a year before i started taking lessons.
Posted by: japangirl

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 07/18/05 02:06 PM

Almost everyone in my family is against me learning TKD I got kicked out when I reached red belt at 14.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 07/18/05 02:14 PM

dare we ask why you got kick out? was Roger always coming in and interrupting class by asking you where his dinner was?

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 07/18/05 02:16 PM

That's a pity. Why did they disapprove?

I'm sure that if you want to continue you will find a way eventually. Don't lose hope.

If you have already restarted or started another art, best wishes to you.

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 07/18/05 02:22 PM

My father always said MA is for boys! I got kicked out of the house for dating Roger and telling my younger sister to try to learn MA. After I met Roger I started to learn from his school, and he cooks.

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 07/18/05 02:42 PM

MA for boys??? Rubbish. Some of the best MA practitioners I've ever had the pleasure of training with are women.

My TKD master (5th Dan) is a woman and she's really good at TKD believe me.

The creator of Wing Chun Kung Fu was a woman.

This coming from a guy who has over a decade of training in martial arts.

No offense but your father is a little misinformed.

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 07/18/05 03:06 PM

I told him about wing chun. His response was it was a man dressed as a woman.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 07/18/05 03:07 PM

I don't mean to pry and you don't even have to answer this but how old is Roger? You are 14 and you are dating him and now you have moved in with him. Just curious.
Posted by: Christie

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 07/18/05 03:43 PM

Well, nobody in my family did any real martial arts but my dad was a wrestler in highschool and at one point was #2 in Ontario, my brother currently wrestles, but other then that I'm the first.
Posted by: Intrepidinv1

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 07/18/05 03:53 PM

My dad never got heavily into the martial arts. However, he has been a real support to me throughout the years. He was a career military man. His dad, my grandfather, boxed to help pay for his college. I guess the military and fighting do go back a ways in my family. I work with my son some when he shows an interest he goes through spells but he's been around it all his life.

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 07/18/05 04:41 PM

You are so mean...I love it!

Quote:

dare we ask why you got kick out? was Roger always coming in and interrupting class by asking you where his dinner was?

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 07/18/05 04:54 PM

I'm 15 now and Roger's now 16. Yeah I live with him, his grandfather was like a recessive multi-millionarie. Who lived in a trailer from age 50 to 73.

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 07/18/05 05:04 PM

Recessive...like..genes?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 07/18/05 05:05 PM

Thanks Japangirl for your answer.

Back on the orginal topic, as for Martial Arts Family, I would be the first that I know of. I had my daughter in it as well for a year and a bit but when she hit 12 that was it ... spending time with friends, shopping, talking on the phone, etc. all took a priority.

I wrestled myself through Junior/High School which I found as an asset when taking up Taekwondo blended with Hapkito and Jujitsu.

Who knows, some of my ancestors could have taken martial arts. I'm such a mish mass of people. Father is from England. His mother has English and French background. His father's family are from Canada and their family is from Scotland.

My mother was a little harder as she was a foster child. After extensive tracking and finding family members we found out that her father came to Canada and landed in Vancouver where he settled and had kids. Then when his wife went crazy and took off he gave all of the kids up for adoption. Never found anything on her mother but her father was from Russia. My mother's aunt gave information about the family and it appears there is also Chinese and Mongolian backgrounds.

We all probably have similar mish mashed information making us up.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 07/18/05 09:00 PM

as far is i know i'm the first to take any training in eatern martial arts when i was younger (judo for a short while and i trained in karate for about 5 years and got to brown belt before i gave up because my dojo overloaded with little kids and i seemed to be doing more press-ups than punches). my uncle was in the army and was stationed in northen ireland through a fair chunk of the 80s i beleive.

right now i'm looking for an Iaido or budo dojo that doesn't mean i have to take two trains to get to it lol. i might do akaido, i'm still deceiding.
Posted by: pisces590

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 07/26/05 08:23 PM

As far as i know, i am the only martial artist in my family. I think there is some military history in my family, but i never really find out. i am trying to teach my nephew karate but i am having trouble.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Martial Arts Family? - 09/06/05 11:30 AM

Interesting idea. However, I was and am the first in my family going back 150 years +/-. Basic military training, not included... but aside from myself, nobody I've encountered was a martial artist before myself... after me, who can say

Several were/are teachers though perhaps I need to look more carefully....
Jeff