Problem in a line

Posted by: Anonymous

Problem in a line - 04/28/05 10:23 PM

I've had an experience over a year ago I want to share. First of all I am 19 years old and taking college classes now. So anyways one time when I was finished with the school day I was standing in line to get on the bus. It was friday afternoon and all I wanted to do was get on the bus and go home. Then this guy in front of me (a bit bigger then me) turns around and asks me "Why are you so close to me, what the f*** is your problem?" for a second I taught he was joking because what was the big deal it was a LINE and everyone stands close to each other in a line, but when I saw his serious face looking at me like he wanted to rip my head of, I said (relaxed as possible)"Calm down, I didn't mean to upset you, I'm sorry." But he continued staring at me and eventually turned away from me and got on the bus without bothering me again.

Now I'm sure that I did the right thing by verbaly calming him down instead of foolishly starting a fight with him for being a hot shot. However for some stupid reason I felt like a total wimp that whole day. So just out of curiosity can anyone else tell me what you would do in this situation. I would really like to hear it.

Re: Problem in a line - 04/28/05 10:37 PM

I think I would've done the same thing. Feeling like a wimp when someone is just being plain weird isn't that big of a deal. I think the guy might have been thinking too hard about another guy standing behind him. It could've been like one of those weird Freudian slips.

[This message has been edited by Kevin Ly (edited 04-28-2005).]

Re: Problem in a line - 04/28/05 10:37 PM

It's not wrong to feel that way, but that dosn't mean you are a wuss. You might feel like you need to prove something but you don't. Someone was trying to act tough and you defused the situation on as low a level as you could. Just like if you were phisically fighting, you would end it as quickly and painlessly as possible. You defused it on the most minor level you possibly could have in my eyes. You shouldn't fight when you don't have to, because there will be a time when you have to and don't want to. Hopefully when you do have to you will realize then that you can handle yourself well, and that you still ended it as quickly as possible, whick is allways the right thing to do. You may not feel great but after you're in a few fights, you will be proud that you can fight, or stop it without haveing to fight.

Re: Problem in a line - 04/28/05 10:56 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Re: Problem in a line - 04/29/05 10:17 AM

jcsenton - It takes a bigger man to walk away from a fight, and you diffused the situation effectively. You asserted yourself with him, and the fact that he turned around and left you alone suggests that, on some level, he detected that you weren't an easy mark. You did the right thing, so let it go.