A couple things, PLEASE READ.

Posted by: Anonymous

A couple things, PLEASE READ. - 04/16/05 02:39 AM

Ok, Where to begin.
Hello, this is my first time on here and I would just like to say hi to everyone. I practice a MA called Shorinji Kempo, any1 ever heard of it? Well anyway, I am 14 and at school there is a couple of ur typical Skater Punks. Well for 3 years now they have taunted and mocked me and my friends, and Today came over to annoy us. They started to get physical by shoving me and my friends and attempting to shove us to the ground. My friends and me got a couple hits in. Nutin serious (teacher broke it up.). Well they said, "We will be back tommarow!" and "this aint over!" So I was wondering wat to do tommarow. I know that between me and my friends, they dont stand a chance in hell. The reason they taunt us is because we spare outside before school, recess, and after School. So they go " GO DRAGON BALL Z!!!! WHOOSH." and a bunch of other crap like that, overall calleing us Geeks and Nerds, and its annoying as hell. One of my friends takes a MA called Muay Thai, heard of that either?

Well thats all i got. Thanks if u read that.
Beo Wolfe

[This message has been edited by BeoWolfe (edited 04-16-2005).]
Posted by: Shadowfax

Re: A couple things, PLEASE READ. - 04/16/05 07:41 AM

Despite the fact that my first inclination is to respond with the canned "That's an interesting question" remark, your post has the air of a genuine one rather than a typical schoolyard dink who just wants to beat people up.

My first advice to you would be to knock it off with the sparring at school. I hardly EVER let ANYONE know that I'm a black belt, much less sparring in public. I'm not even a big fan of teaching people outside (though I'm forced to when it gets too hot) because I don't like ANYONE seeing that I know how to fight.

There's something strange about the nature of immature people (and schools are kinda full of those) that when they find out you know how to fight, they want to fight you.

Basically demonstrating your martial arts skills in public is just asking for some idiot to start messing with you.

It's great that you and your friends are in to the martial arts, but you need to find a better time and place to do it. I'm frankly surprised your teachers let you get away with this - I once got suspended for 3 days for practicing the fake fighting we were learning for West Side Story - even though we were both on the stage working on the choreography and the principal who caught us knew us quite well.

My advice for the immediate situation would be to lay REAL low. If they're looking for you on the playground tomorrow, avoid the playground like the plague. If this is going to be an unavoidable fight, you may wish to alert the teachers - that way they have advance notice that these guys are looking for you and might be in a position to break it up again.

Bottom line? In school, the nail that sticks up gets pounded in. You run around sparring all the time, you're gonna get targeted. Lay low and pick smarter ways to be different - mine was band and mock trial [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Re: A couple things, PLEASE READ. - 04/16/05 08:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BeoWolfe:
Ok, Where to begin.
Hello, this is my first time on here and I would just like to say hi to everyone. I practice a MA called Shorinji Kempo, any1 ever heard of it? Well anyway, I am 14 and at school there is a couple of ur typical Skater Punks. Well for 3 years now they have taunted and mocked me and my friends, and Today came over to annoy us. They started to get physical by shoving me and my friends and attempting to shove us to the ground. My friends and me got a couple hits in. Nutin serious (teacher broke it up.). Well they said, "We will be back tommarow!" and "this aint over!" So I was wondering wat to do tommarow. I know that between me and my friends, they dont stand a chance in hell. The reason they taunt us is because we spare outside before school, recess, and after School. So they go " GO DRAGON BALL Z!!!! WHOOSH." and a bunch of other crap like that, overall calleing us Geeks and Nerds, and its annoying as hell. One of my friends takes a MA called Muay Thai, heard of that either?

Well thats all i got. Thanks if u read that.
Beo Wolfe

[This message has been edited by BeoWolfe (edited 04-16-2005).]
[/QUOTE]

If they keep on annoying you well ask an adult if it countinues well you know its in your hands.....

*Inuyasha*

Re: A couple things, PLEASE READ. - 04/16/05 02:06 PM

You have a few options, scaling from the most practical descending:

1) Tell an Adult/Teacher/Police
2) Ignore them
3) Fight them

I know what kind of people you speak of, showing off to their friends.

Personally you should annoy them back, its alot easier to fight someone verbally than physically [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG], and if you let their comments get to you they are winning the fight.

They're probably not bad people, maybe you could try talking to them seriously. Even if people sound stupid and act stupid, they can actually be intelligent underneath.

Re: A couple things, PLEASE READ. - 04/17/05 03:55 AM

well i wouldnt recomend fighting them if u dont have to. but i have realized after training for a few years that the worst thing u can do at school is tell people that you are in a martial art, because if u have to fight someone then they will be expecting u to somewhat be able to fight and have their guard up 100%. but if they dont know then they wont be expecting you to give them a roundhouse to the head when they start messing with u.
Posted by: sunspots

Re: A couple things, PLEASE READ. - 04/17/05 03:44 PM

I think shadowfax got it in one: Letting people know you are a martial artist almost begs for someone to challenge you. I am a 45 year old female, and several of my professors at college know I train in kenpo. There are a couple of them who have asked me "O.k., what would you do if I did this?" and thrown mock punches and kicks at me. AT THEIR AGE!!

My Sifu has also been challenged a few times. He's been in the local papers for being named to a Hall of Fame, and some other M.A. related stuff, so people kinda know who he is. He was getting his truck serviced, and some overgrown idiot with an attitude came up and said "I hear you think you're tough." Sifu just looked up from what he was reading and said "Hi. Well, I'm as tough as I need to be, when I need to be." and continued reading. The guy walked away.

Just lay low, find a more private place to train, and if these guys keep bugging you, get adult intervention.

Re: A couple things, PLEASE READ. - 04/17/05 11:03 PM

please let us know how this turns out

Re: A couple things, PLEASE READ. - 04/18/05 12:33 AM

LMAO! Me and My friends decided that we were going to go outside, and they dont even show up. Thnx for all the Advice.

Re: A couple things, PLEASE READ. - 04/18/05 12:11 PM

Shorinji-Kenpo is pretty hard stuff so you got nuthin to worry about. Secondly I PRACTICE AND AM ADEPT AT MUAY THAI! That is so cool that theirs someone else on this forum that does it! As far as combat goes, nobody fights a thai boxer bare knickle without bleeding. If they start it you finish it. And besides their skate punks. What tare they gonna do,

Re: A couple things, PLEASE READ. - 04/18/05 12:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by High-Tien-Ma-77:
Shorinji-Kenpo is pretty hard stuff so you got nuthin to worry about. Secondly I PRACTICE AND AM ADEPT AT MUAY THAI! That is so cool that theirs someone else on this forum that does it! As far as combat goes, nobody fights a thai boxer bare knickle without bleeding. If they start it you finish it. And besides their skate punks. What tare they gonna do, [/QUOTE]

I'm gonna say this as nice as possible. Your attitude is going to get you in a lot of trouble one day. Shorinji Kempo may be impressive, but a knife or a gun can make your day a bad one real quick.

There are lots of people on this board, myself included, who train in muay thai. You're the first that I've seen that runs around talking like it's the ultimate fighting system against which all others will crumble. There's a reason that I don't train exclusively in muay thai.

That's not to say it's not a formidible style - it is, but you are WAY too overconfident.

You should NEVER have the attitude that you will not worry about a fight because of your training. You do not know what kind of training the other guy has had. You do not know what kind of weapons the other guy has. You do not know how many friends the other guy has. You do not know what kind of bad luck you will run in to in the fight. You can be the greatest fighter ever, but if you slip on a patch of ice at the wrong time, you can still lose.

In this particular case, Beowulf was foolishly showing off his martial arts training in a mixed crowd, and has now found himself in hot water because of it. That kind of display should not be condoned, and we certainly not suggest that Beowulf inflame the situation by telling him to go beat up on the "skate punks"

Re: A couple things, PLEASE READ. - 04/18/05 03:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shadowfax:
I'm gonna say this as nice as possible. Your attitude is going to get you in a lot of trouble one day. Shorinji Kempo may be impressive, but a knife or a gun can make your day a bad one real quick.

There are lots of people on this board, myself included, who train in muay thai. You're the first that I've seen that runs around talking like it's the ultimate fighting system against which all others will crumble. There's a reason that I don't train exclusively in muay thai.

That's not to say it's not a formidible style - it is, but you are WAY too overconfident.

You should NEVER have the attitude that you will not worry about a fight because of your training. You do not know what kind of training the other guy has had. You do not know what kind of weapons the other guy has. You do not know how many friends the other guy has. You do not know what kind of bad luck you will run in to in the fight. You can be the greatest fighter ever, but if you slip on a patch of ice at the wrong time, you can still lose.

In this particular case, Beowulf was foolishly showing off his martial arts training in a mixed crowd, and has now found himself in hot water because of it. That kind of display should not be condoned, and we certainly not suggest that Beowulf inflame the situation by telling him to go beat up on the "skate punks"

[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree with this person. However good you are you can still mess up in a fight. Your martial art skills should be treated with the greatest respect. I used to be very over-confident. I once was attacked and instead of finishing the fight quickly and gettin out of there i prolonged it, showing of. I missed a block got hit in the temple and was KOed.

Re: A couple things, PLEASE READ. - 04/18/05 07:46 PM

Hey, Hey, Hey! Ididn't mean to cause trouble, and I wasn't Showing off either. We practice then only cause its the only time we can. Plus they annoyed us way before I started to show my MA. The last thing is that we are far away from the other people, its a big, big feild.

Re: A couple things, PLEASE READ. - 04/18/05 07:51 PM

+ I am not over Confident or Stupid. I understand fully the Concenquences of wat could happen.

Re: A couple things, PLEASE READ. - 04/18/05 09:26 PM

Seems to me, and please don't take this the wrong way, that if someone understands that in a fight someone could pull a knife, and understands that the consequences of that fight could be his death, and yet still goes and fights even tho they have other options. . .well, that's pretty darn stupid isn't it? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by Shadowfax (edited 04-18-2005).]

Re: A couple things, PLEASE READ. - 04/18/05 09:43 PM

Dont be a snitch and tell teachers! Take care of it yourself. If you can take these guys than take em! Skaters are easy targets. So are preps and goths but stay away from gangstas they can fight! Take those jerks after school to some place where you cant get in trouble with the school. Beat the crap out of em, and then no more worries from skater punks.

Re: A couple things, PLEASE READ. - 04/18/05 11:02 PM

I'm not stupid, I know they wouldn't take a knife out to fight us. Hallway Fighter, Thanks, but no thanks. Not my Plan of Action. I will just wait for them to make the next move, and if they dont. There wont be any problems.

Re: A couple things, PLEASE READ. - 04/19/05 12:15 AM

Good advice Shadowfax. Some will learn the hard way-hallway fighter.

Re: A couple things, PLEASE READ. - 04/28/05 10:50 PM

gangsters can fight!?!?! HA HA HA!!! Your funny. Well they can get a bunch of looser thugs to overwhelm you and cover your nose and mouth with food stamps, but not much other than that. Are you one of those guys who thinks looser thugs are cool? You'll grow out of that. You must have gone to a crappy high school. Strait up!!!! We're poor but still have gold toofs and chains!