My father practicing what he preaches.

Posted by: Anonymous

My father practicing what he preaches. - 03/27/05 08:02 PM

Okay this story actually happened to me last night. First I suppose the set up, my father, mother, two uncles, my one uncle's fiance and a few other relatives of both parties are at a sportsbar (oddly i'm sixteen sooo *shrug*) Anyhow, i'm not entirely sure what started the problem but it eventually got the point of cursing and a near fight.
My father put himself between the two groups of people (my family in one and others against them) and starts trying to talking them down trying to defuse the situation. And yes alchohal was involved, my dad was still sober enough to keep talking them down. Eventually both groups are in the parking lot and everyone seems to be ready to go when it starts up again. Once more my father is in the middle of it all trying to talk them down.

So finally everyone leaves. Not much of a story because i'm not good at telling 'em, and i was over at the car with my mother a good ten twenty feet away. Though apparently my dad has done this sort of thing before being in a band playing at bars often so he's got expereince trying to talk down a fight.

Still i thought it was pretty cool because it did work and finally everyone went their seperate ways.

Re: My father practicing what he preaches. - 03/27/05 08:25 PM

Good story Gosai. I like how it, in a way, makes a clear map of the primitive brain in a crisis situation. Everyone except for the freekishly sadistic has a primal instinct to avoide confrontation. No matter how crazy the people seemed almost no one really wanted to fight. Hearing your father telling them to cool it gives them a reason to back away without looking like a sissy. Amazing how some people when upset can seem so incredibly ignorent while at the same time being so open to suggestion. Goes to show that almost every fight can easily be avoided if the defender gives the aggreasor a reason to back away without making either of you look like pansies.

Re: My father practicing what he preaches. - 03/28/05 12:28 AM

That's an excellent example of good self defense.If you can talk your way ot that's the best way. It's also a good example of what happens when idiocy and alchohol are mixed.
Posted by: Muldoon

Re: My father practicing what he preaches. - 03/28/05 05:40 PM

Now that sounds like a good example of 'verbal judo' [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Re: My father practicing what he preaches. - 03/29/05 08:06 AM

Very cool story Gosai. I've been in a similar situation with a friend and a stranger at a party, both were drunk and for some reason I decided to try split it up before they traded punches. It's commendable that your dad did such a good job, it can get exhausting trying to keep a situation like that from flaring into a free-for-all. Nice one, felt good reading that story.