Is this typical?

Posted by: Anonymous

Is this typical? - 01/17/05 06:40 AM

Having literally just registered for this site - with no expierience of matial arts whatsoever - I'm scarred already!!
Are these pratish posts from 'sheeeps' etc typical?
I really hope not.
If, as I suspect, there are some genuine/serious exponents out there, can someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction when it comes to choosing a particular disipline, considering that I'm 47 yrs old and relitively unfit.
Any information and encouragement would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Re: Is this typical? - 01/17/05 01:21 PM

Vince,
Any post on this site is a potential study in human nature. Try as you might, as kind as you might try to be there is no gaurantee you wont get insulted attacked or "slagged". That being said there is nothing wrong with being new to the arts. Trouble sometimes happens when people try to portray themselves as more expierienced than they truly are. First I want to say that its a great choice to get into an activity that will improve your overall well being. I'm sure you will find something that will work for you. Good luck.

oldman

Re: Is this typical? - 01/17/05 01:39 PM

Thanks Oldman!
That's the kind of wise and sensible reply that I was looking for, I feel somewhat more enlightened - regards to you fella.

Re: Is this typical? - 01/17/05 02:37 PM

Vince - Welcome to the forum, and congrats on considering a martial art. IMO, you're never too old to study and train. Before you enroll in any school or club, it might be wise to visit a few, watch some classes and talk to not just the instructor, but to the students, as well. From your conversations, you'll get a pretty good idea of which schools seems to legitimatley care about their students, and which do not. Speaking from experience (and mind you, my opinion is biased here), schools of Okinawan karate seem to make a greater allowance for their newer students' level of fitness. That's generaly speaking; there are exceptions to every rule. Also, the Korean arts seem to emphasize kicking, esp. high kicking, and most guys our age may not be quite up to this feat. The TKD and TSD practitioners can correct me on this, but it has been my observation. Best of luck.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Is this typical? - 01/17/05 07:37 PM

Hi Vince,

You've been given very good advice so far.
Likely you might want to find a school with other young people your age (alas 47 past me 10 years ago) where you know the instructor(s) are focused on your real needs.

Outside of that, research, talk to people and find what seems to fit your needs. And I'd stay away from long term contracts. If a school when you're in it doesn't fit your needs in any fashion, be sure to leave and seek something more compatable.

And, your interest aside, if you can't find what interests you, there are more activites in life than the martial arts. Bad instruction has bigger costs than not training.

Good luck,

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu

Re: Is this typical? - 01/18/05 09:10 AM

Thanks again for all of the advice guys (& gals - whoops!!)
It's given me food for thought. I think the idea of going to have a look at a few different places makes goos sence.
I'll keep you all posted as to how I get on - positive expieriences as well as negative.
I guess that at the end of the day - I'm probably drawn more to the spiritual aspects of martial arts, rather than the physical side.
Anyway - enough of my waffling, cheers again!!

Re: Is this typical? - 01/23/05 03:14 AM

Vince, It is cool that you are getting into MA. I think that you would enjoy Kali. It is my discipline of choice. But to each it own. You have gotten great advice, especially about checking out the dojo. Also, try to check up on the instructor and make sure he is not a sham. Good luck in your adventures trials and tribulations yet to come.

Re: Is this typical? - 01/23/05 02:36 PM

I can't really say more but W*E*L*C*O*M*E!!!!!!!

*Inuyasha*

Re: Is this typical? - 01/26/05 03:22 PM

Vince,

You have gotten a lot of great advice. There will always be those in the martial arts who are not focused on living the martial "way" . These folks tend to be nagative influences on all concerned. Seek an art that meets your needs, achieves your goals, and an instructor who is wise and experienced in the arts. WELCOME! I think it is great that you are pondering training and do not let anything scare you away from it.

Respectfully,

Robert Jones
7th Degree Black Belt, IKKS
Wu Shen Pai Kenpo

Re: Is this typical? - 02/02/05 02:14 PM

Hi Vince,

I have nothing to add but encouragement. I am 66 years old and only got involved in martial arts recently. I found a group that is friendly and supporting, and yet has "aliveness training" (light sparring).

One suggestion: I have been in aerobics for many years. If you feel that you are not in shape, it might be a good idea to enroll in an aerobics class too (e.g. step aerobics, athletic conditioning, boot camp). That will increase your stamina.

Good training!
Hayes