I owe MA a big one

Posted by: Anonymous

I owe MA a big one - 01/08/05 03:04 PM

It seems like it wasn't long ago. I was playing in a football game on the offensive line. It was a normal pass block, but, something went wrong with my knee. I just twisted on it, and I
mean spun around but my foot stayed planted (damn artificial turf). I got pulled out of the
game, I thought I was done, well, forever.

The next day I went to the doctor to have him check it out, so, he sent me to the hospital for an MRI. Afew days later, I got the results.

My meniscus had been trashed, it was all torn up. I also had suffered an injury to my MCL,PCL, and of course ACL. Whether they were torn or not, he couldnt tell, he knew I needed durgery though.

After the surgery, which went well actually, he told me the three tendons had only been strained, which he thought was remarkable. He asked me if I had been in any sports that reguired me to be flexible or limber, so I remarked that I had been in TKD for six years. His remark was, if I had not been so flexible from my past training, then, my knee
would have been worthless, trash. All three tendons would have torn like paper he said.

So, I now continue my training, at almost full strength (it kinda feels weird throwing kicks having the tibia grind though). I owe alot to my training.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: I owe MA a big one - 01/10/05 12:01 AM

To all those people who say, think, MA is only about wearing a different colored belt every 3 months and street fighting, read this.
Posted by: senseilou

Re: I owe MA a big one - 01/10/05 12:46 AM

I too have the same story, only I blew mine out reversing a sweep. As I was swept, I counter grabbed uke and rotated my hips and threw him. When I got up to mount him, I could't move my leg. I still needed to finish him so I crawled over and mounted and choked him. Everyone thought I was acting and everyone was having a good laugh. Then it set in I was really injured and had to be helped off the mat. I destroyed my miniscus, torn in 3 places and blew out the patella tendon. They had to staple the patella together. I am really lucky that I can set off any metal detector in any airport. Since 9/11 I always wear shorts when I fly so they can see that I m not hiding anything.

My orthopedist said I would never paractice again. I missed 3 nights and was back on the mat. I had a cast on, and moved slow but I was training 3 days later. Training helped rebuild the knee, and helped keep the depression at a minimum.

My knee and leg would not straighten completely out so they were going to have to go back in and clean out the scar tissue. I refused the surgery in favor of physical manipulation. So the Dr. was going to tear the scar tissue by forcing the leg straight. He offered to put me to sleep and I refused. He offered pain medication and I refused. I did Sanchin Kata, sitting version and was breathing when he did it. It hurt like hell but the Dr. was amazed at my iron will, I told him actually "Iron Shirt" He had never had a patient do this before. I am not doing this for accolades but a point. The arts offer more than just physical, it can be mental and spiritual. At the end of the appointment the Dr. was just in awe at the pain endured, and the mind set. He thought for sure I would pass out when I got up. I will not tell you that it didn't hurt, actually hurt more than the accident itself, but I walked away leg straight. I told the Dr. he witnessed a spiritual event. He was just stunned by what he had just seen. I told the spiritual plane I was on, " I was praying to God you didn't break my leg". Anyway he got a real joke as I walked away.

All this is just a preface for what Bruce Lee said. "People train for at least 5 different reasons", and they all are valid. It may be to train with your kids, or to study an art form. Self-defense or a path to enlightenment. It doesn't matter as long as the person doing it, gets what they want out of it. For me every day is enriched, either by my students, good friends or people I meet. I have met some of the greatest people in the Martial Arts, some are like my brothers, and Sensei who I owe my life too. That is reason enough to train.