silly stuff we do

Posted by: sunspots

silly stuff we do - 11/16/04 04:14 PM

My Sifu, some classmates and I finished a tournament last Saturday, and decided to go out for dinner to celebrate. We had to park a few blocks from the restaurant and walk. As we walked down the street, one of my teammates cracked up laughing and pointed out to me that I was bowing before entering crosswalks. I hadn't realized that I was doing it, although I have caught myself bowing into the bathroom!

Anybody else do something goofy like that?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: silly stuff we do - 11/16/04 06:03 PM

Our dojo is in a mall. I've bowed before entering the electronics store, the Hallmark store, the auto parts store, Sears, JC Penney's......

Re: silly stuff we do - 11/16/04 07:19 PM

LOL i've bowed a few times entering class mates homes.

Re: silly stuff we do - 11/16/04 09:19 PM

At church.

Re: silly stuff we do - 11/17/04 08:01 AM

I've never bowed any funny like this but I have called people "ma'am" or "sir" such as servers at restaurants or when renting a movie. Don't even know I'm doing it till after when I see their funny look. Or how people look at you when you bow to a fellow classmate in public. I had to do this once in a crowded theatre to two of my instructors.
Posted by: schanne

Re: silly stuff we do - 11/17/04 10:20 AM

Was pulled over by a cop about 15 years ago and when he made all of us get out of the car, one of the guys I train with snapped to the the ready stance with his fists and arms straight out in front of his waist. We all looked like we were in the military being ready to be drilled by our DI. Condition and response with an authoritative figure.

Re: silly stuff we do - 11/17/04 01:11 PM

Forgot about this one. One day while i was in school my teacher was talking to me, and i wasnt directly looking at her, but i was listening. And she asked me if i understood, without thinking i jsut said yes sensei.. My friend next to me busted up laughing, didnt realize it till she told me what i did. I guess yes sensei was such a pre conditioned response to answering. Dont know where or why that came up. Must of not ben paying attention and had other things on my mind.

Re: silly stuff we do - 11/17/04 02:51 PM

As many of you know, in Okinawan karate, the utterance "oos" means "yes". I'll unconsciously use the Okinawan version during dinner conversations with the family, at social events, at important meetings, anytime. Them: "Excuse me, sir, but would you like fries with that?" ; Me: "OOS!" Them: "Huh...?" Strangers think I have a vocal tic or something.

[This message has been edited by budobrubbie (edited 11-17-2004).]

Re: silly stuff we do - 12/13/04 09:44 PM

My friend had just joined at my MA school and was wearing her GI still as we steeped out of the city bus she begans to bow to cars and passerbys. Occasionally, some would bow back, go figure.

Julayne
Posted by: Christiancadet

Re: silly stuff we do - 12/14/04 07:42 PM

You know that halfway bow that many MA do when they shake a important persons hand, I do that every time I shake anybodies hand.

Re: silly stuff we do - 12/14/04 08:32 PM

One time, a couple years ago I had to read a winning essay that I wrote in front of the entire school (300 students, I'm from a small school). I was so nervous and bowing is such a habit that I bowed and did the 2 handed shake hands thing with the superintendent. I don't know if anyone noticed except my mom and a couple friends, but I was embarrassed.

Re: silly stuff we do - 12/14/04 08:41 PM

My fiance trains in Muay Thai and one day I suprised him by pouncing out from behind a bush with a playful "rowr" noise... He nearly decapitated me with his elbow in response. Luckily he realised in time that it was me.

Re: silly stuff we do - 12/30/04 10:48 PM

i say yes in japaness all the time when some one askes me to do somthing

Re: silly stuff we do - 12/30/04 11:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by the way of the worrior:
i say yes in japaness all the time when some one askes me to do somthing[/QUOTE]

Haha same here. I lived in Japan for about a year. I answer the phone sometimes with "moshi moshi."

Re: silly stuff we do - 01/03/05 07:26 PM

Why silly?

Its called 'muscle memory' something we train in MA for years to get.

If only you can respond to that punch / kick as fast as you can respond to a bow.

Re: silly stuff we do - 01/04/05 10:38 AM

Very true. But out of context, the formalities and reactions sometimes make us look like we're not quite all there...

Re: silly stuff we do - 02/01/05 04:23 AM

Did something just like Budorubble where I kept saying oos all the time, knew I was saying it too but for some reason it was so conditioned in me I kept saying it instead of yes.
This other time has nothing to do with martial arts but i work in retail and we are told to constantly acknowledge customers, ask them if they need help, say hi and one day I was walkin through a store and without thinking about it said "hi how are you?" to a complete stranger, I think he thought i was trying to pick him up so I was outta there in a right jiffy

Re: silly stuff we do - 02/01/05 09:17 AM

Well A friend who went to my kung fu class ask me if he could show hime some forms. Well an hour later after I show him the form and help him (We were at school) we were going to the gym and I went in first and I turn around and saw him bowing. Kind of funny................

*Inuyasha*

Re: silly stuff we do - 02/05/05 08:45 AM

Was at work the other day when the boss called out my employee number to come speak with her, then stared at me when I bowed and said sensei... yea, that whole response-to-authority figure thing was hitting the nail on the head.

- Op. Skinny Ninja

Re: silly stuff we do - 02/06/05 02:26 PM

lol yep, I've done some of that before.

I've said "yes sir" to my math teacher, who happened to be a female. I think she thought I was trying to be cheeky...but I was so used to it from martial arts class. I don't think she believed me lol.

I've also bowed when entering friends homes...I think the parents of my friends thought I was an odd one.

Re: silly stuff we do - 02/07/05 10:06 AM

instead of nodding my head before reciueving eucharist at church, ive accidently bowed a few times, and also at entering the church...also catch myself doing traditional chinese shaking of hands as opposed to the american way once in a bit
and i "ous" a lot as well when it isnt called for

[This message has been edited by Kitoshakai Ed (edited 02-07-2005).]

Re: silly stuff we do - 02/07/05 12:56 PM

I also say 'yes' in Japanese sometimes and bow. I do not know how to spell it but "Hiai"
is yes in Japanese Right?

Re: silly stuff we do - 02/07/05 01:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kitoshakai Ed:
instead of nodding my head before reciueving eucharist at church, ive accidently bowed a few times, and also at entering the church...also catch myself doing traditional chinese shaking of hands as opposed to the american way once in a bit
and i "ous" a lot as well when it isnt called for

[This message has been edited by Kitoshakai Ed (edited 02-07-2005).]
[/QUOTE]

As an usher at my church I have accidentally done it with recieving the offering. That is always good for a laugh. Another time I was recieving training to be involved in a care giving ministry in our church. In one session as part or our training we washed each others feet. My partner sat in a chair in front of me. I formally nelt into seiza placed my hands on the floor and bowed fully, touching my head to the floor. The funny thing was no one saw it as odd but rather deeply moving. It was really neat to have the seemingly diverse elements of my life come together in a symolic yet meaningful way.

oldman

Re: silly stuff we do - 02/07/05 02:40 PM

When I was in karate as a kid, I bowed at the school Office ALL the time.

I agree, it's a reaction to authority.

Right after military training, I also find myself bringing my body erect to attention when it "feels" appropriate. Thankfully, not saluting is easier since only officers are saluted.

Re: silly stuff we do - 02/07/05 04:33 PM

Oldman,

Since religion (as I understand it) and martial arts both value humility, I can understand where a bow might not be so out of place in a house of worship as it is in some other places. I agree, it is nice to have such seemingly diverse elements of our lives working together.

I am currently taking a Criminology course in my college, and it is taught by the local District Attorney. Whenever he asks a question, I find myself anwering him as "Sir!" (Loud and firm!) One of these days, I'm probably gonna call him "Sensei..."

Re: silly stuff we do - 02/18/05 10:38 PM

I have it in me too every time i shacke someones hand i bow, i once bowed to my art teacher, she thought i was drunk lol, but i blamed it on me looking down to find some paper

[This message has been edited by TKDNewb (edited 02-18-2005).]

Re: silly stuff we do - 03/31/05 05:25 AM

I woke up a few nights back to find one of my bed sheets over my head, I then proceeded to block, clear and trap it [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/redface.gif[/IMG] Developing muscle memory is cool, but using Panantukan on your bed is just a bit embarrassing!

Anyone else experience funny stuff like that when you're half asleep/awake? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: silly stuff we do - 03/31/05 03:28 PM

I've awakened myself from a nap on the couch by kicking the arm of it... Guess I was dreaming of an attack, or a practice...)

Re: silly stuff we do - 04/06/05 11:39 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ButterflyPalm:
Why silly?

Its called 'muscle memory' something we train in MA for years to get.

If only you can respond to that punch / kick as fast as you can respond to a bow.
[/QUOTE]

Ah, but that isn't really martial arts. That's just conditioned response. Martial arts is when you do things consciously, by choice. One poster mentioned that her boyfriend "almost" hit her, but was able to stop. He's verging past martial arts into compulsiveness. He has almost "replaced" his natural reflexes (which have gotten humanity through aeons of survival) with "second nature" responses that may be grossly inappropriate.

Martial arts are to become completely appropriate in our surroundings--not wildly inappropriate.

In other words, it's far less important to train the body to snap reflexes than it is to train the mind to see clearly and adjust the body appropriately.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: silly stuff we do - 05/09/05 03:41 AM

In the school, whenever we exit or enter a room we face the highest belt-bow and back out of the room.
Imagine the looks you get when you do this at work
Posted by: Ambrosius

Re: silly stuff we do - 05/09/05 06:55 AM

I lost the friendship of my cat the same way. I was asleep on the couch and for some reason woke when in my sleep I punted my cat. (Maybe I was dreaming about an attacker or something silly like that.) The poor thing no longer stays anywhere near me when I sleep.
Posted by: Raiche

Re: silly stuff we do - 06/07/05 09:58 PM

During our banquet at my TKD school, a friend and I ran next door to the Chinese restaurant for some food and she bowed on the way in, doing a traditional Korean bow. I could hardly hold myself together as we carried these hot dishes of food back to the dojang.

Ever find yourself wanting to say "Uso" to your boss or someone with higher authority than you? I almost kept doing it today. Someday I'm really going to humiliate myself.
Posted by: Strider_Hanzo

Re: silly stuff we do - 06/08/05 01:21 AM

One time me and my dad pulled over in a small town in order to take a nap (we had taken off in the morning for a 3 hour drive) and i dreamt that someone was putting their hand in my face. I woke up bye swinging my arm at my dad's leg and woke him up . We continued on driving after that.
Posted by: Celebrian

Re: silly stuff we do - 06/08/05 04:37 AM

Quote:

Ever find yourself wanting to say "Uso" to your boss or someone with higher authority than you? I almost kept doing it today. Someday I'm really going to humiliate myself.

heh, that happened to someone at my dojo, apparently :P ...physics class, not paying attention...teacher asks, "Everyone got that?"..the usual mumbles of "mmhmm, yes" and one loud "OOS"
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: silly stuff we do - 06/08/05 06:36 AM

I called my PE teacher at college (weight training) Sensei once during class. This was after I had been studying MA for a while, and had taken a Japanese class and a SD class based on Shotokan. Boy did I get some looks.

Also, I've done the bowing to a boss, bowing in and out of offices/classrooms/the house/work, and just about anywhere.

I do some of the trimming in our yard with a sword.

I've actually cut meat with a Japanese style sword. (it was a cheapo replica, so it's not like I committed any great sacrilege.)
Posted by: MAGr

Re: silly stuff we do - 06/08/05 06:54 AM

I went to play football yesterday with people from my office and I had some problems with the ball when it was at head height. I always went to kick it or do a jumping kick onto the ball; it didnt help that one of the guys that knows i do MA was cracking up everytime i got near the ball....I couldnt tell that i was doing anything different!
Posted by: Hedgehogey

Re: silly stuff we do - 06/08/05 04:43 PM

Quote:

Was pulled over by a cop about 15 years ago and when he made all of us get out of the car, one of the guys I train with snapped to the the ready stance with his fists and arms straight out in front of his waist. We all looked like we were in the military being ready to be drilled by our DI. Condition and response with an authoritative figure.

That...makes me sad. Frowny emoticon.