Dojo Stories

Posted by: senseilou

Dojo Stories - 11/02/04 03:19 PM

Since thinking about this I thought I start a Dojo stories post and would kick it off.

"Pee Like a Man"

Years ago I took my family on a road trip to go train with the late Toyoda Shihan from Chicago(Aikido for those who may not know him) My daughter was about 6 years old my son about 9. My son and I had trained together about 5 years(I had trained for years before him) and my daughter had joined us and had been training about a year. Its important to note that my daughter had decided to cut her hair very short. When I met Toyoda Shihan he was so nice and gracious and I told him I was not happy with the organization I was with. He said he would 'adopt' us if we liked, and he would make little corrections if that was ok. We all agreed.

We were doing techniques that required breakfalls. I had some ground training, and when I landed I always landed and cocked my upper leg to kick and keep people off of me when I was on the ground. Shihan came over to me and asked "wheres the tree" to which I answered "what tree". He told me that I looked like a dog raising his leg to pee and wanted to know what tree I was peeing on. He then showed me how he wanted us to land and arch our back(kind of a mini bridge) when we landed. He looked at me standing up, arched his back and said "Pee like a man, not a dog" I laughed at the analogy and asuured him I would try.

Shihan then walked over to my son and daughter and looked at my daughter and said " you pee like your dad-arch your back and pee like a man" Shihan arched his back and my daughter still looked utterly confused and had no idea what he was saying. All of a sudden Shiahn turned red and said" oh my goodness, you no boy, you girl" He went right over to my wife and aplogized for calling her sweet dear daughter a boy. He came over to me and before he said anything we just died laughing. It was just hilarious. For the rest of the seminar, Shihan would walk by by me, arch his back, act like he was peeing, smile and walk away. I did not stop laughing the entire weekend. Every analogy he made somehow would revert to peeing, it was a riot, and one of the best seminar I had ever attended.

Today i miss him alot as he passed away a bit ago, but his legacy still stands. Every time my daughter complains or starts being a little soft, we remind her to "pee like a man". Toyoda Shihan will always be with us.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Dojo Stories - 11/02/04 06:05 PM

Sensei Lou,

Fitting, this was exactly the dojo stories I always hoped we'd see here.

Thanks for sharing that priceless memory.

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Dojo Stories - 11/03/04 06:36 AM

senseilou,
I heard one writer refer to Toyoda's approach to aikido as "John Deere Aikido". When asked why he replied that if Toyoda used his art on an a attacker he would look like he got run over by a combine! Toyoda Sensei, the real deal.

Oldman
Posted by: senseilou

Re: Dojo Stories - 11/03/04 10:45 AM

Oldman...only in the midwest huh? Toyoda Sesnei was not only good, but a great caring man. He was not like alot of other Sensei, he 'tailored' the technique for you, and would show little nuances that might help you with the technique. There are other talented Aikido Sensei, but I never met one like Toyoda Sensei. It was his fun loving, caring approach that put him on a higher plane. Besides that, he could bounce you all over the mat.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Dojo Stories - 11/05/04 04:13 PM

I liked this. This is what I was expecting to find in the Martial Arts Tales & Stories forum. Not "I fought this guy and ...". Thank you.