Intimidation thing

Posted by: Anonymous

Intimidation thing - 10/26/04 08:49 PM

I had been intimidated a while ago. I was walking to my friend's house and two guy started shouting insults at me. They came in front of me and stopped. They talked **** and I didn't say a word. I was feeling the adrenaline. One guy started pushing me and he took out a pair of scissors. The other one took a glass bottle on the ground and they started saying they were going to beat me. I was just stunned there. I didn't know what to do and my body was like frozen. It was terryfying. When they saw I was doing nothing they decided to go . I was just an 8th kyu back then.

I was wondering what would have you done in this situation.
(sorry I posted it 2 times)

Re: Intimidation thing - 10/26/04 10:36 PM

hi this is my first post. ill try and keep it short.

when facing two aggressors, both with weapons, your goin to get hurt.
your training might save your life, sure, but chances are you wont walk away unscathed.
also, in saving your life you would probably have to seriously injure (or worse) one or both
assailents (i.e. blind them, break something etc.). i'm speculating now but id doesent sound
like these two where committed to a violent exchange. just posturing for each other to impress
themselves and convince themselves of thier heterosexuality for one more day. if they where serious
about hurting you i guarantee you wouldnt have just stood there and let them stab you.
if not your training than an overwhelming sense of fear and aggression would have led your actions.

in hindsight, where i in the same position i hope i would do the same thing and not
hurt anyone or be hurt myself. so much for keeping it short...
respectfully.

[This message has been edited by katiebarthedoor (edited 10-26-2004).]

Re: Intimidation thing - 10/27/04 05:39 AM

Since I've been through several situations when I was younger where I was paralyzed by fear, I doubt it'd be likely to happen again since I know, at least to some degree, what to expect.

Strategically, I'd try to keep them both in my line of vision and not let them surround me. I'd hold the scissors down at my rt side w/ the blade pointing forward, and wait until I was certain enough they were going to attack. I'd look for a stab to the stomach or a right hooking stab to the neck or cheek; both of which would be quick and fairly unpredictable from the position I was holding the weapon.

I know it's easier to stand here & talk about what I'd do when I'm not in the situation, but like I said, I've experienced the paralyizing fear on several occasions and have been in situations since then where I had better control, so I doubt I'd freeze up.

[This message has been edited by Vicious (edited 10-27-2004).]
Posted by: schanne

Re: Intimidation thing - 10/27/04 09:05 AM

That's a life threatening situation in my opinion. By the way you sound like at the time you were not trained to handle it physically or mentally. May I suggest you run as fast as you can and tell a cop. It's not uncommon for someone to freeze up in that situation, it happens to a lot of people.

[This message has been edited by schanne (edited 10-27-2004).]

Re: Intimidation thing - 10/27/04 01:01 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vicious:
I'd hold the scissors down at my rt side w/ the blade pointing forward, and wait until I was certain enough they were going to attack. I'd look for a stab to the stomach or a right hooking stab to the neck or cheek; both of which would be quick and fairly unpredictable from the position I was holding the weapon.
B][/QUOTE]

Just thought I'd correct you here, rawkfist's attacker had the scissors, not rawkfist.

As for advice, if there is a beaten path to travel, beat it! If nothing else, MA will give you endurance, so if you get ahead early, you will be in good shape.

Re: Intimidation thing - 10/27/04 02:51 PM

thanks guys this was really helpful to know I'm not the only one. I think it has a good side to because it made me mentally stronger (after I got over it) and i started training 100%. and i'm sure if something like that happens to me again, I won't react the same.

Re: Intimidation thing - 10/27/04 03:29 PM

My bad. I must've misread.

In that case (the opponent's armed w/ scissors), I'd fight very defensively, because it's a much riskier situation and a single mistake could cost you your life.

A whole different strategy comes into play if you're unarmed dealing w/ armed assailants. Be glad you escaped unscathed.

Re: Intimidation thing - 10/29/04 02:06 AM

Been there, Run like hell one armed attacker is deadly but two are downright lethal. If you had to engage only engage as needed look for anything that can be used as a weapon. Also because of the lethal nature of the confrontation it makes sense to escalate straight to lethal force if you cant escape. and speaking from experiance your going to take damage. But at that point its all about damage control. Stun and run