Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor

Posted by: schanne

Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/26/04 12:18 PM

Are you a girl?

Oh this flood control thing is way out of control!!!!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/26/04 12:27 PM

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your injury.

I did muay thai for about six months and the conditioning can be harsh. What kind of foot/ankle condition do you have?

Most of the hard contact kicking in muay thai is done with a reconditioned shin bone. If you are hurting your foot/ankle while contacting with the bag, thai pads, or another person, the problem could be your technique. If it hurts to push off of your foot to get momentum to initiate a kick, then problem is most likely not going to go away while continuing muay thai. If your gym has other exercises, such as swimming perhaps you could rehab your foot for a month or two before going back to muay thai. The conditioning required to harden the tissues surrounding the shins in muay thai can be quite painful which is why your instructor may think you are faking it. Perhaps he is not the most understanding individual in the world and teaches the only way he knows how.

All blabbering aside, my reccomendation is:
1) take a few days off to rehab the muscle
and
2)arrange a one on one for a session where you can work on your technique with him (sometimes slightly incoorect movements can be cause great muscle aggrevation - i had the same problem with my knees in muay thai until i realized i wasnt kicking right!)
3) If you still have this pain after lightly practicing your new and improved technique, chances are you will need a longer healing session of a couple months or more.

i'm not a doctor, and this only my opinion, but i hope it helps.

Ed

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/26/04 12:59 PM

Yes, I'm a girl.

Half the class is cardio; jumping jacks, hammers, running in place, alot of impact on the ankles. As for kicking and such, I am using proper technique, i.e shin contact not foot. However, it is necessary to pivot
on the ball of the foot to kick properly- or at least that's what I've learned. The class is difficult- there is no introduction offered and I was thrown into this from day one. I'm not complaining- I love it! It's the instructor who has a problem. It is not possible to train with him one on one. He only trains girls he has a chance of scoring with and I shot him down from the beginning- I think that's his problem with me. What now?
Posted by: 1st Round KO

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/26/04 01:06 PM

i can understand to a degree where the instructor is coming from; muay thai can not be fully appreciated and its techniques learned while wearing shoes.

however, this guy sounds like an a$$ and you should talk to the ajhan/ head instructor. i would be very surprised if your ajhan or kru acted in this way.

anyone who truly loves muay thai, as an instructor should, would appreciate any and all students even someone like youself who is doing it for fitness, and they would not be verbally abusing you.

if this clown is your kru then you should ask for your money back and leave, if possible.

ps

why on earth does he feel entitled to a DRs note??? sounds like you have a lawsuit on your hands...you could sue this clown for professional misconduct / tort infringement of the professional relationship between a client (you) and a paid professional (him).

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/26/04 01:15 PM

1st Round KO.
Thank You.

Please tell me more... any advice is appreciated.

By the way, this fool is not only the head instructor but the owner.
Posted by: 1st Round KO

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/26/04 01:21 PM

i dont want to get into too much detail but technically, as your instructor, he has a fiduciary duty to maintain a level of professional conduct within the context of the services you are paying him for.
if he is hitting on students and asking for unwarranted information like doctors notes then he could be found in violation of his fiduciary duty and thus you have a tort case on your hands and you could sue him for the cost of your membership plus punitive damages. it also sounds like you could have him charged for sexual harrassment.

if he is the owner then i would leave bc he sounds like an idiot. is he an actual ajhan or just some fool who took muay thai for a few years and opened a gym ???
Posted by: senseilou

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/26/04 03:13 PM

Leave!!! Bottom line is that he isn't going to change, so you are going to have to adapt to his way, or leave. Whatever you paid in terms of dues, is the amount that its cost you to see what he was like and what you were getting into before you pay again. Chances are you are not going to stay after your dues are up, so cut your losses now and just leave. If nothing else, aside from learning, defending oneself, exercise etc, training needs to be enjoyable, something you love and is an intregal part of your like. You don't need a Instructor who does not have your best interest at heart and wants to help you achieve your goals. My opinion, cut your loses, find someone who cares!
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/26/04 08:12 PM

I agree with Senseilou,

Leave, being pushed in training is one thing, being abused by the instructor is totally wrong. Staying there is only allowing him to control you.

First write off what you've paid as a bad investment. Second contact a lawyer, not a chat group, and seek competent legal advice about the legality of the contract and whether you have redress to have your payment returned. Whether you do or don't depends on the lawyer, how vigerorously they pursue the case and the amount of money involved.

When an instructor proves they're an idiot, the only right answer is to do something else.

Take care of yourself first.

I wish you success,

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/27/04 07:25 AM

I concur with Senseilou and Mr Smith, LEAVE.

If you have lost the money, put it down it bad experience, if you can get it back then it's a bonus.

I am sorry you have had this bad experience, I hope you find a good instrucor soon.

If you post yourlocation (not exact address, obviously), someone here may be able to reccomend someone.
Sharon

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/27/04 07:37 AM

my earlier advice was based on your saying you wanted to stay at that gym....

but after reading your post in another section of the forum, and your additional reporting about the harrasment, i agree with the others. LEAVE. If you think you have a legitimate legal case, it may be worth trying to get your money back. If you think that would have reprocussions outside of this man's gym, i would just cut your losses and chalk it up to a learning experience. There are plenty of places you can get good instruction without being subject to unethical behavior.

Ed

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/29/04 11:37 AM

I think everyone has missed ONE large option, and that would be to give the man just a little something something. She said that he only takes an interest in girls he can sleep with, so, show em' a good time. Then, get real cozy with him, after a while, take pictures of him in the shower, copy and paste another man's small penis onto his body, show him the pictures, and tell him if your not treated like royalty, every women in the country is gonna be getting a copy of those pictures.

PS: Don’t forget, wearing the RUBBER prevents from having to serve an extra SUPPER!
Posted by: xerxes

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/29/04 11:57 AM

And the award for biggest jackass of the year goes to ...11thdegree! Let's hear it for 11thdegree, ladies and gentlemen.

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/29/04 12:54 PM

We know he has no sympathy for women, what with the disregard for a sexually harrassed person who came looking for help, not sarcasm.

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/29/04 03:37 PM

I agree if there was a award for biggest jackass 11th would get it. The best option with that type of instructor is leave. In my time practicing the arts I havent heard of someone in a legit business being that disrespectfull. May I suggest switching to a more internal style if you have medical problems.

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/29/04 06:12 PM

Ay come on now, "jackass" isn't the word we use to describe the only person in this whole group whose giving PRACTICAL advice; at least not in this chat room. Instead, the person(s) refering to myself for my harsh but yet helpful advice as a "jackass" should then be classified as the true jackass or jackasses. So, through the theory of 11thdegree, the three tirents above myself are the TRUE jackasses.

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/29/04 07:20 PM

No 1/11th actually I found your advice among the most childish answers I've seen. I'll give you this you remain consistent.

You show you have no grasp that this is was a real problem with a response that was less than intelligible.

Of course the case of people having real problems in the arts, sharing them in these discussion groups is never a good idea, finding a real person to turn to is always a better idea.

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/29/04 07:50 PM

This might help to explain 11thdegree's helpful advice. From his/her Bio page.

Date Registered: 10-06-2004
Total Posts: 12
Current Email: oista@hotmail.com
Homepage: http://
Interests: nailing
ICQ Number:

11thdegree is not a jack ass, just a prostitute.

oldman

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/29/04 08:20 PM

Oh, we knew that already. Still a jack*** though, if I'm correctly guessing the literal meaning of the term.

(darn flood control, grr)

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/29/04 08:43 PM

PLEASE Victor, I have plenty of grasp about the seriousness of this situation, thus, my advice to fight fire with fire is at this point the best, but thats expected when we have wanna-be smart ass Grand Masters like yourself replying. Not to mention the other CLOWNS like oldman who couldn't put himself together long enough or use enough of his brain to piece together anything better than an ATTEMPT at an insult by copy and pasting. Not to mention the most successfull of all clowns, doesn't deny himself being a FOOL, been a member for a whole couple of months and has done nothing but post 307 WORTHLESS and POINTLESS replys (NO LIFE), but I will only refer to this person as fools*old.

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/29/04 09:13 PM

Don't forget I'm an ass kisser too.
smootch,smootch,smooth.

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/29/04 09:18 PM

smootch,smootch,smooth.

[This message has been edited by oldman (edited 10-29-2004).]

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/29/04 09:36 PM

1/11th,

No fighting fire with fire is a good way to get burned. It's the fantasy life of movies which you seem to be locked into.

Responsible people give responsible advice. Unfortunately you haven't given one shred of evidence you have any advice to give except for yack yack.

And forget the grand master bs. I'm not not. I believe there are very good technicians and that's it. I'm sorry you're jealous some of us have actually trained and lived, and are willing to share when we can.

I only have a few minutes a day to follow any of this as work, family and finding time to train and study are more important.

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/29/04 10:44 PM

what the hell is your problem 11th? You always talk like you hate this place so much, and yet keep coming back, stay the hell out if you have nothing contructive to say! No one cares who you think is and is not gay or whatever you like to call people and why you think what you think. Just leave...
PS: I no where 11th trains, its right down the street from where I work and hes not much different in person (I dont call him by his first name out of respect; even though he deserves little respect).

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/30/04 06:06 PM

oldmans withdraws his retaliatory limrick.

[This message has been edited by oldman (edited 10-31-2004).]

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/30/04 07:42 PM

Oldman that you be, though that may characterize me too.

I understand the desire to flame someone, but your remarks are tasteless too. There are better ways to express distaste to remarks than sinking to the same level as your target.

Listen, this is all kindergarden bad taste. I've lived through much deeper hate wars in Isshinryu in person and on the lists over the years.

My opinion of bad taste has taken 3 10th dans to task over the years for acting like children to date, and there's no reason to accept it anywhere.

There are times I wonder whether my idea to have a small story discussion group is worth the effort. Of course we can learn from distasteful posts, mostly what not to tolerate.

The only reason to participate in the arts is to try and better oneself and have some fun. The rest is a fantasy world, too prone to co-exist with real training.

Shere survival is rarely something one encounters. The potential does exist in our trianing, but in truth most systems, traditional and modern have little to do with real battlefield conditions. And I for one am grateful the world is not a more dangerous place that we really have to become Bruce Lee, its plenty dangerous enough as it is.

I suggest when someone really gets under your skin, everyone go do something else for a few days and see if it really is worth responding with vhemence. With time there really is little that is worth such effort.

This discussion started with someone sharing their problems. Those problems seemed quite real to me, but ones that can be addressed by better choices and the legal systems.

Answers outside of the rules of society, except when one's or another's life is directly on the line, lead to situations where nobody can be trusted or believed. Nice for a movie, where you just humiliate, kill and destroy. Much harder to do in the real world and remain sane.

Try harder to be better than you are, often you will succeed.

Victor Smith

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/31/04 12:02 AM

When you say it like THAT....

I've never been very good with children. From now on I'll try harder to be civil, but I'll be damned if that one doesn't get to me. Although I can't say I'm not proud to be a nexus for 11th's ire.

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/31/04 12:21 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Victor Smith:
Oldman that you be, though that may characterize me too.

I understand the desire to flame someone, but your remarks are tasteless too. There are better ways to express distaste to remarks than sinking to the same level as your target.

Listen, this is all kindergarden bad taste. I've lived through much deeper hate wars in Isshinryu in person and on the lists over the years.

My opinion of bad taste has taken 3 10th dans to task over the years for acting like children to date, and there's no reason to accept it anywhere.

There are times I wonder whether my idea to have a small story discussion group is worth the effort. Of course we can learn from distasteful posts, mostly what not to tolerate.

The only reason to participate in the arts is to try and better oneself and have some fun. The rest is a fantasy world, too prone to co-exist with real training.

Shere survival is rarely something one encounters. The potential does exist in our trianing, but in truth most systems, traditional and modern have little to do with real battlefield conditions. And I for one am grateful the world is not a more dangerous place that we really have to become Bruce Lee, its plenty dangerous enough as it is.

I suggest when someone really gets under your skin, everyone go do something else for a few days and see if it really is worth responding with vhemence. With time there really is little that is worth such effort.

This discussion started with someone sharing their problems. Those problems seemed quite real to me, but ones that can be addressed by better choices and the legal systems.

Answers outside of the rules of society, except when one's or another's life is directly on the line, lead to situations where nobody can be trusted or believed. Nice for a movie, where you just humiliate, kill and destroy. Much harder to do in the real world and remain sane.

Try harder to be better than you are, often you will succeed.

Victor Smith
[/QUOTE]

Mr. Smith,
Please accept my sincere apology.
11thdegree also I apologize for my childish retaliation. Forum members I confess to overstepping the bounds of good taste and common sense. Please bear with me as I continue to learn and grow. Have a good day
Sincerely,
Mark Cook

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/31/04 01:31 AM

OMG, you have GOT to be shitting with me. PLEASE don't encourage this guy by pretending to ACTUALLY learn something from his DESPERATE attempts to look like a teacher. ONE guy finally comes out and starts showing some balls by not wanting to take sh!t from another person and then COMPLETELY ruins it by giving the FAGGET ass apology writen above. Then we got Queer #2; A.K.A Foolsgold, can't say I expect much more from him...hes always been a fag. But Victor, can you go ONE message without mentioning the fact that YOU rocommended this forum...it's like you want a metal or something. And try not acting like your Mr.Important, with places to go and people to see, and that we are all very lucky that you take time out of your bizzy schedual to give us your reports of the lessons of life; your not allowed to act like that after you leave like fifty messages a day each about three pages long and in many other forums then the one you so proudly moderate...its clear you have no life...fagget.

[This message has been edited by 11thdegree (edited 10-31-2004).]

Re: Re: Need Advice RE: Bully Instructor - 10/31/04 03:40 AM

1/11th.

I have never left 50 messages a day anyplace or even a fraction of that. Feel free to show where that is the case.

I have no idea who you are, and unless you're willing to both share your name and experience there is little reason to address you ever again.

Rather than allow you further rant, this topic is closed.

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu