a true master

Posted by: Anonymous

a true master - 10/04/04 01:01 AM

Since ive never posted a topic to this forum, I figure now would be an appropriate time to do so. This is an experience i had just the other day while at work. First of all i should probably tell you about my job, I work at a home improvement store, and work in the area where they keep all the cement block. Its a perfect job for training becouse its such a big area considering our wide variety of blocks. Since we carry such a wide variety naturally it would attract all the local martial arts schools for all of there breaking bricks. well i was sweeping the area one day when i noticed a guy walking in. As he walked toward me i had a feeling he studied somekind of martial art becouse some of his distinct body features. When he got close i asked "can i help you find something "he replied "yeah im looking for some bricks becouse i want to break them" A little humored by his serious attitude and intent to impress i showed him the way and asked "so what kind of martial art do you study?" he answered "tang soo do" i replyed "i see...i have a high respect for korean martial arts" while looking him in the eyes as to give a hint that i had knowledge of somewhat also. Needless to say he didnt read me and started blabbing on about how good he was. When we got to the bricks i was starting to get annoyed by his "superior" attitude and his trying to impress me. When he decided which blocks he needed he left to go inside the store and pay for them, meanwhile i contemplated the situation. I never had any breaking experience in my formal training, but i have read a few things on the subject. So i figured id give it a shot so I set it up with 2 bricks. before i struck i started concentraiting on building up chi in my arm and palm. When i struck it was in a downward motion with the side of my fist "a common technique among xingyi styles". And what do ya know i broke through both of them. I was happy with my achivement and could have left the bricks out for the guy to see, but becouse of respect for the company i decided to conseal my achivement. Well when the guy got back he went on about his "mastery" and we loaded up his car. before the guy left he said one last thing " alot of people dont stay at my school after they come a few times after they come a few times" as if trying to say that they didnt have the right spirit to be a good martial artist ...... i had to think for a moment and then replyed "well ive found out alot of people are NOT what you think they are" he kind of looked at me funny and then drove away. I like to think he actually thought about our little conversation and read between the lines as to what i was really trying to say to him, and maybe realize how stupid he really made himself look.

[This message has been edited by xingyi45 (edited 10-04-2004).]

Re: a true master - 10/07/04 01:21 AM

[This message has been edited by xingyi45 (edited 10-07-2004).]
Posted by: schanne

Re: a true master - 10/08/04 06:33 AM

Did you let out a big Kiai in the store?!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: a true master - 10/08/04 11:04 AM

no lol

i work outside of the store so sometimes im kind of isolated from everyone else

although i probably could have and no one would have known, i didnt want to risk it.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: a true master - 10/08/04 11:38 AM

Hello xingyi45:

I don't suppose this ~chucklehead~ was smiling when they spouted their verbal self stimulation, did they ???

Looking foolish or stupid is EASY... looking skilled, mature, smart, now THOSE are hard skills to possess [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Jeff

Re: a true master - 10/09/04 07:51 PM

no they didnt

a point good point taken

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]