My Street Fight

Posted by: Anonymous

My Street Fight - 09/28/04 01:29 PM

Before I begin, I’d like it to be understood that I take know pride in the story I’m about to tell. Instead, I tell his story as a lesson to others and myself. I was young, amateurish, and foolish. I know it’s long, but please read all and be patient.

I was seventeen years old and had been practicing the art of Goju Ryu karate for about my fourth year. I had just gotten my brown belt. While reviewing my budgeting problems, it had occurred to me that there was no way I would be able to renew my karate membership and attend university in the following year with my current income. I had discussed this problem with a very good friend of mine and he had told me that there was some sort of and underground MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) competition that paid all it’s winner very good money; the catch was that these tournaments were NHB (No Holds Barred) and people usually got hurt. However I was cocky and overrated my skill level.
I had arranged for a match to be set up. It was to be held in 3 weeks from the date that I had booked it. I trained very hard. I stretched, weight lifted, did my cardio, and countless hours of karate training. When the time had come, I was standing at 6’0 tall and a lean 165 pounds.
The directions I was given led to a soccer field. I figured there was no way I was at the right place until I saw over fifty people sitting on and around the bleachers. I was greeted by a very friendly man who on the way to the center of the soccer field went over some very basic rules (no groin shots, no biting, etc…), he also explained the ways to win (knock out, taping out, if the “ref” decided to stop the match, or if whoever was in your corner threw in the towel; I had my cousin in my corner).
Me and some other mean looking guy stood across from each other in the circle at the center of the soccer field with a crowed of people outlining the “ring”. He was bigger then me, both height and width, and was built. I had heard that he was a Tae-Kwon-Do practitioner.
Some old man came in between us and asks if we’re ready; we both nod yes and he yells for the fight to begin. The next thing I remember is my heart beating out of my chest, my hands dripping with sweat, and my ears hurting from everyone’s screams and taunts. He made the first move by reaching across with his right arm to grab my right shoulder. Next, he starts punching; straight, hard punches. I tried punching back by it didn’t do too much because I had to punch over my own should and I barely touched him. Also, I couldn’t turn myself because of the awesome grip he had on my shoulder and because of how strong he was.
My cousin runs in and yells for the “ref” to stop the match after my face looked like someone spilt red paint on me. I didn’t get any money that night, but the lesson I learned about fighting was good enough for me.
That was about two years ago, and once again I’m having some serious money problems. So much so I might be forced to drop out. I’m much better now then I was then, and the option for me to fight again is still open. I no how stupid it sounds but this is the only other way for me to get my hands on some money, and believe me I’ve explored other options (parents, students loans, bank loans, credit cards, other family members, a second job). It seems I’m down to a simple choice of fight, or drop out, any suggestions?

Ps: Please don’t say another source of money because I’ve tried more then you can imagine! And believe me, this is NOT a choice I like making!

Re: My Street Fight - 09/29/04 12:25 PM

Have you asked your instructor?

Doesn't sound like it.

I bet he'd rather keep you out of stupid brawls.

Re: My Street Fight - 10/16/04 02:17 AM

What did you learn about fighting, two years ago?

Re: My Street Fight - 10/19/04 06:10 AM

Hey GojuR, i feel bad 4 u, but i dont even think that (no offence to Goju Ryu) Goju Ryu is a great style for this kinda full contact stuff, i mean man seriously, its point spar'in, like take up Kyokushin, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, boxing or BJJ , oh lol sorry i forgot u had no money, soz.

i dont think that this illegal fighting is a great i dea, i mean thats y its illegal.

just c if u can help out in the Dojo, or like i dunno, speak 2 ur Goju Instructor about this problem
Posted by: schanne

Re: My Street Fight - 10/19/04 01:24 PM

Then drop out for now, it is not the end of the world, although your next fight could be?

Re: My Street Fight - 10/24/04 08:58 PM

Hey GojuR,

I have to say I agree with Schanne. Given that you've truly tried everything else to get money, I'd say dropping out would be the better option. You'll always be able to rejoin when your financial status is better. Going into illegal fighting after what happened in your first experience with it, I think, is just asking for more trouble than your situation needs. Just my opinion...I hope it helped!

Good Luck! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Karateka13

Re: My Street Fight - 10/29/04 08:53 PM

ASTP, I learned that years of training can do little if a person does not have first-hand experience, and that if you train for years and years only to be a good street fighter, you might as well not train. Theres no harm in me mentioning this, but I've chosen to fight-stupid I no, but oh well. If I drop out of school now I no I'll never get back, so for the next little while, I'll train so it will be immpossible for me to lose. My fight is on December 10th at 12:45am, wish me luck!

Re: My Street Fight - 10/29/04 09:13 PM

I don't think you get the point. These fight are life threatening and (I don't know what to say ) Personnally I think it's stupid to risk your health even your life and get some serious injuries just to get some money. I mean is your health only worth like 400$. And you say tha if you quit for a while you won't get back to it. Than you might not really like martial arts. I mean if you drop you shouldn't lose your desire to train. So maybe your training isn't that important to you. And training in a martial art is all about self respect so... No offense there I'm just saying my point.

Re: My Street Fight - 10/29/04 10:38 PM

You got the wrong idea, or maybe I gave the wrong idea. I bought a life time membership to my martial arts school about six years ago, so I'm not talking about dropping out of the martial arts, I'm talking about dropping out of university, and even if I do decide to go back they tend to not accept older students. And its not $400, its somewhere around $2000 and sometimes even more to the winner.

Re: My Street Fight - 10/30/04 03:15 AM

I did that many years ago. And then as today, bad idea. The money is good but eventually you'll get yourself hurt or killed.
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: My Street Fight - 10/31/04 05:12 PM

warrior_james,goju is not gear'd towards point fighting,it is a full contact style. GojuR,only you can make the dicision to fight or drop out.What is your first thought to do?......then that is the right thing to do,do not let anyone tell you different.If you will fight,trust youre training and do not think of winning,rather think that you do not have to lose...hmm,that sounds familure?

Re: My Street Fight - 10/31/04 08:08 PM

No offense, but if you had any training at all you'd knock his hand away first. I've been in countless street fights and I've never let anyone grab me as a first move. You need more training or sparring practice.
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: My Street Fight - 11/01/04 04:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WhyCantIbeSteve:
No offense, but if you had any training at all you'd knock his hand away first. I've been in countless street fights and I've never let anyone grab me as a first move. You need more training or sparring practice.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

Re: My Street Fight - 11/08/04 04:23 PM

Can't you take one semester of to work?

Thank God I live in a country where you don't have to pay to get into College.

Best of luck!

Re: My Street Fight - 11/09/04 03:04 PM

I see your are from Winnipeg, MB. Hello fellow Manitobian. I was born in Brandon and have many friends in Winnipeg so I know my way around somewhat. Currently living in Alberta.

I don't think it is a good idea to fight and I don't think your instructor would approve of it either, if he/she is reputable. $2000 to the winner ... doesn't matter who wins a fight, win or loose you are going to hurt. Thank god Canada's Health Care is good ... you'll probably need it.

Dropping out of school is not so bad of an idea. If you are worried about not going back then how important is it really? They always say a good education is important but I know too many people that do have a good education and are doing something else that has nothing related with their training.

Weigh out all of your options carefully. Write them down and leave it alone for a while and come back to it when your mind is clearer. Maybe you will see things differently. If not, and you still decide to fight, kick ass and take no prisoners. Good luck in your decision.

Quote from Man On Fire: "You are either trained or untrained. Which are you?"

Re: My Street Fight - 11/11/04 09:37 AM

I refuse to drop out; Ive seen it too many times where people say that their going to drop out for a month, maybe two, or a year, and somehow never manage to getting around to going back to school. I WILL fight, and will win. Ive tried every single other possible option. Sounds stupid, I no, but last time was about as bad as it gets, and I'm willing to take that risk again for a good chance at gaining about 2000, maybe more. Ps: Nobody has ever died from doing this, at MOST, knocked out or maybe something got broken.

Re: My Street Fight - 11/18/04 09:41 PM

Heh. Well if you are not droping out I would like to know how your fight ends up. Be sure to post weather you win or lose.

Re: My Street Fight - 11/30/04 04:36 PM

Read this and take my advice it will help .Good luck man,take advice if you want to fight for money join ufc.Its a legal martial arts organation that consists of boxing,wrestling,karate,jujitsu,jeetkundo and ect......
Karate experts are good fighters especailly on feet.But that is the problem right there.They are great on feet but when you are tooken to the ground your history.I think you should join jujitsu it is a art made up of punching kicking grappling and submission.In jujitsu you cant go wrong in no holds barred you have advantage standing up fighting and on ground.Jujitsu fighters have the advantage when they are on bottom.YOu say your a brown belt right?Try giving youth karate lessons.Good luck wit the fight.Kep your distance keep giving strikes to wear him down.

Re: My Street Fight - 12/02/04 08:23 PM

JJkid, I respect your advice, and thank you. I no all about UFC, I've seen EVERY one, and every one that goes by I get more ashamed. One happend was, they ran out of champions, and started picking regular people. Also, they went national and had a bunch of stuck-up snobs that no nothing about the MA's make up needless rules and time limits that have fighters fighting against the rules instead of each other. Also, I have noticed that those who have fifty "black belts" in fifty different styles don't no one of those styles well enough to use in a fight. It takes a life time to scratch the surface of ONE art, what are the chances of "mastering" two, or three, or with some idiots, four or five or six or seven. I commit myself to ONE style. I enjoy being an master of one, instead of a knower of everything and master of nothing. Ps: I do some privates, but it takes away time that I could be spending at work, so it's kind of a wash.

Re: My Street Fight - 12/07/04 12:12 PM

id suggest looking for a job as a bouncer or a glorified security guard, but judging from your size and that last fight, i dont know if youll have much luck.

if i were in your place id fight. education is quite important to me, much more so than a few bruises. The fight may be illegal, but its far from as dangerous as it could be, the people sound like they have brains, and the fact that you can tap out or have a towel thrown in for you says it all.

do what you need to do, but i say schedule that fight as late as possible and get some sound training in. and SPAR, you seemed to have panicked, and you need to practice being in similar situations so you dont lock up so quick. did you not know what to do with him holding you? or you just froze. with my art, id love for someone to be foolish enough to touch me. practice combinations. with several moves in succession (spar with them to make sure they are practical) and drill these into your head. Ive found that for an inexperience fighter, just a few combinations are enough to win a fight. dont hesitate, and dont stop until the fight is called off. have fun

Re: My Street Fight - 12/08/04 09:31 AM

Thanks all for your advice. Ive been training VERY hard lately. I've done PLENTY of sparring, but lately, I've even tried a couple of lessons of full contact, where we can hit to the head, let it goto the ground, and just have an all out fight. I'm ready to fight, and I hope to win without injury, I'll post a new topic on the 10th to allow everyone to hear the good or bad news. Thanks again!

Re: My Street Fight - 12/08/04 10:10 AM

well it looks like you are intent on winning using Go ju ru style, I myself am a bit familiar with that style and I'm sure that at some point you've learned some sort of throw or joint lock, or at least various parries that would help, since there's not a lot (if any) ground techniques within that style I'd suggest using distance as a weapon, and parrying and counter attacking. you've seen those UFC fights so you should have some idea as to what strikes are most effective, such as kicks to the thigh and or knee which are practiced in just about all traditional karate style. I wish you the best of luck and hope you will keep us posted of the results of your fights

Re: My Street Fight - 01/01/05 02:31 AM

one must admire your determination. you lost badly the last time you went into this competition but you still wish to fight. Im sure regardless what your sensai has said to you that he is deep down proud of you too.

You have to remember the main reason why these eastern styles of fighting were developed was to... fight. Anyone can train in a style and say that they are a true martial artist but GojuR is taking it one step further and doing what many are too afraid to do.

although i do not condone any illegal fighting i am wishing you the best of luck in surviving your fight and hopefully you can make a few bucks on the side. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Re: My Street Fight - 01/02/05 04:03 PM

GojuR
Drop out mate, its the easiest and prolly the best thing you can do. If its not meant to be then it isnt. But maybe, just maybe, you are trying too hard and I think that you, like me, are pushed by your parents and you expect that you have to finish college to prove something.

Been there, done that, got the badge. Fighting, drugs or suicide are not the ways to go. Yea I could go out and streetfight but why should I. You end up being completely screwed up and for what. Mohammed Ali anybody?! Gees, man, doing drugs is less dangerous.

I would take time out. Its a new year, time for a change. If you are stressed out and your family are quite poor (which from what it sounds, sounds like my situation was too) then take 6 months out. It will give you time to sort your problems out and have a think about the direction you are going.

I am sure that your college course can be done part time, and there are other routes to get where you wanna go.

Hope it works out for ya pal.

Best Wishes

Scott

Re: My Street Fight - 01/12/05 11:51 PM

Seems like you need a different perspective. Here is my point of view. I have been doing TKD fro about 5 years and am two gradings off my black belt. Part of our traingin is to NEVER involve yourself in a fight unless you absolutaley have to. This would include organised street fights, which in my point of view are petty and degrade martial arts to their lowest point.

As for your financial situation, mabey you should give up Karate for a while. An education is a much greater tool than a black belt in martial arts. Thankfully I have had the privellage to have supporting parents who were willing to aid me financialy throughout highschool and Uni. But getting your face kicked in for a few bucks does not sound like a rational decission. You can always start martial arts up again later.

Re: My Street Fight - 01/27/05 12:20 AM

all im saying is that if your getting grabbed by a tae kwon do guy and your losing to that then you need some serious work, if your even letting your opponent enter on you without letting your mind purely flow and letting your body do the same then you should not continue this. you seem like you are very proud and have something to prove. Well so are these other kids that fight ufc. im aware that you want to be a champion, but everyone is the novice at sometime in their life. also i believe in natural talent, which i have no idea if you have or not, but some people are warriors and some just arent. you do not sound like you are prepared enough for this, and just because you have watched every ufc doesnt mean your a ufc fighter. what's better losing the money and having your a$$ beat, or just saving yourself the cash and trying to find some way of student loans or something. use your wits instead of your pride.

Re: My Street Fight - 02/05/05 08:33 AM

Well, will the reward for winning be enough to cover bare knuckle boxing? You do know thats the REAL kind, where you break faces and get yours broken in return... but hey, I'm working and going to school. Feel you on the $ issue.

- Op. Skinny Ninja

Re: My Street Fight - 02/07/05 07:17 PM

Why don't you write a script about your situation? It sounds like an interesting story and you know all the moves to put in the fight scenes of the script. Minimum wage for a script is US $96,000 in the states, if you can get it sold.

Re: My Street Fight - 02/14/05 06:43 PM

Wow, that's the best idea I have heared, that would be a very interesting script, if made right. If you decide to fight good luck.

Re: My Street Fight - 02/17/05 03:18 PM

Yeah it would make a strange Rocky kind of flick.

I think that If you can trust someone to throw in the towel when needed, and there are enough rules to keep you relatively safe you should perhaps consider it. Foolish as it is you seem to be fighting for the right to education, which I guess, is something really worth fighting for.

Re: My Street Fight - 02/19/05 12:53 PM

so... are you all still waiting for GojuR to come out from the hospital?

hope you're alive and well dude. and even if you DID win, hope you learned something...

Re: My Street Fight - 03/27/05 08:08 PM

GojuR, You keep going to these full contact fight clubs and you won't have a brain left to learn with. Try hustling pool or play poker.

I have a question. Me and a small group of people (Mostly friends of mine) used to get togeather and hold boxing tournaments till my 2 best friends moved. They we're the organizers of it and the group fell apart after they left. No money is involved and the fights stop imediatly if blood is spilled. My question is: is this illegal?

[This message has been edited by Dust N' Bones (edited 03-27-2005).]

Re: My Street Fight - 03/29/05 01:18 PM

The legality of that really depends on your province/state laws.

Here in Ontario any bout (for cash or fun) that doesn't use the standard weight gloves is deemed a prize fight and thus is illegal.

I'd imagine there are simular laws in America, but as long as death isn't the outcome of the fight, they can't really say much.

and for Warrior James, I have been doing great with a Goju Ryu/Boxing/Greco Roman Wrestling mix in MMA so I have no idea where you get what your saying, me thinks you don't know what your talking about.