getting to be the heavy :sigh:

Posted by: Christiancadet

getting to be the heavy :sigh: - 07/15/04 11:05 AM

A while ago at class I showed up about an hour early (My sister takes swim lessons and my mom would not be able to get me to class on time unless she were to take me early and my dad is currently in Iraq so he cant drive me but we asked the instructors permision), I am usually asked to hold a kicking pad or help the younger kids put on their sparring gear but last night I was asked to be the heavy for the younger class during their promotion test. This included getting hip thrown by twenty kids multiple time, getting kneed in the crotch by the children who got over excited in onestep sparring, sparring against the same twenty kids who had hip thrown me (I was told to go easy on them) and getting kicked in the crotch again, being the dummy for the children who would be demonstrating their armbar and small joint manipulation skills, theen I got punched square in the nose by one child who got excited (it was the same one who got me in the crotch) and then when I was done I got to look foward to the joys of my own promotion test...

Ps- one of the moms (her son was the one who gave me the bloody nose and kneed me in the crotch) asked why she had never seen me do anything but get hit, thrown and tortured during the younger kids promotion test and said that I did not deserve to be promoted as I had never done a form or any of the techniques during the test (which wasn't even my test). Now on a side note how do you get blood out of your dobok.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: getting to be the heavy :sigh: - 07/15/04 11:41 AM

Ahh!! A character building experince. Such thing will turn you into a real character!

In truth I think you will eventually find that it was a good, if painful, experince.

Use something like Spray and Wash on the stain and I like to us Oxy as the cleaner. I always was in cold water too. Hot water will sometimes set a blood stain.

Hang tough! That was one of many oppertunities you will have to see what you are made of.
Posted by: schanne

Re: getting to be the heavy :sigh: - 07/15/04 11:56 AM

It all part of your training grasshopper, you should be honored that you were allowed to Uki those little nut smashers. As for the blood...those are your Martial Arts badges. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

That brings me to another subject about "grasshopper". All the new generation MA kid that are upcoming should be required to watch the oh so famous David Caridine tv series "KUNG FU". Even though it was only a movie they had some real good MA philosophy incorporated into the program, really showing my age now. Of course my kid never heard of the show so I bought the DVD set and they love it. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: sunspots

Re: getting to be the heavy :sigh: - 07/15/04 03:37 PM

Rough day at work, huh, my friend!?!?

Christian Cadet, I don't know where you rank in relation to the kids you worked with, but this could be a valuable experience, in that you might analyze their mistakes and keep yourself from making the same ones. And if you see something that they are continuously making mistakes on, you might be able to gently correct them, if this would be allowed in your school.

One of my Grandmasters says he always learns from new students, because they aren't locked into thought and movement patterns and this gives him new ways of looking at things.

If your dobok is white, you will have more trouble getting the blood out, but Two Gun's tips were right on. If it is black, don't worry too much!!

Re: getting to be the heavy :sigh: - 07/15/04 10:11 PM

As to schanne's suggestion for the children to be shown "Kung Fu"... NO!!! That is the last thing that me and my smaller parts need! If I ever meet the creator of "Power Rangers" I will have a few choice words for him, and I have seen a few episodes of "Kung Fu", and it like "Power Rangers" featured some violence which is the last thing that those little beasties need. As for my how I am related to the kids, I am just older and a little higher ranking, I was asked to be the heavy because unlike my instructor I am close enough to their size for their techniques to work on me. I did get a perfect example of why not to keep your legs close together when doing a hip throw (ten year old tried to hip throw me but instead fell right over with me still looking over his shoulder). Thanks for the advise on how to get the blood out of the uniform, it came out and saved me from having to bleach it or get a new one. And as to the irrate mother, she later made rude comment about me to a few of the other mothers and they really gave her a talking to. I babysit for a few of the moms and when they heard this other parent talking bad about me they went off on her, saying that I was resonsible, and very kind to have agreed to be the heavy (When I heard this I went very red). I don't know exactly what was said, but one of the moms filled me in on what happened when I came by to watch her son today. Apperently the complaining mother just kept quite for the rest of the childs class.
Posted by: schanne

Re: getting to be the heavy :sigh: - 07/16/04 08:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Christiancadet:
As to schanne's suggestion for the children to be shown "Kung Fu"... NO!!! That is the last thing that me and my smaller parts need! If I ever meet the creator of "Power Rangers" I will have a few choice words for him, and I have seen a few episodes of "Kung Fu", and it like "Power Rangers" featured some violence which is the last thing that those little beasties need. As for my how I am related to the kids, I am just older and a little higher ranking, I was asked to be the heavy because unlike my instructor I am close enough to their size for their techniques to work on me. I did get a perfect example of why not to keep your legs close together when doing a hip throw (ten year old tried to hip throw me but instead fell right over with me still looking over his shoulder). Thanks for the advise on how to get the blood out of the uniform, it came out and saved me from having to bleach it or get a new one. And as to the irrate mother, she later made rude comment about me to a few of the other mothers and they really gave her a talking to. I babysit for a few of the moms and when they heard this other parent talking bad about me they went off on her, saying that I was resonsible, and very kind to have agreed to be the heavy (When I heard this I went very red). I don't know exactly what was said, but one of the moms filled me in on what happened when I came by to watch her son today. Apperently the complaining mother just kept quite for the rest of the childs class.[/QUOTE]

Whhaaaa! Stop your whinning!!

Re: getting to be the heavy :sigh: - 07/16/04 02:21 PM

Hmm valuable lessons learned I'm sure...one of them is to wear a cup when teaching kids regardless of whether its a sparring night.

Hey christian, what style do you practice?

Re: getting to be the heavy :sigh: - 07/16/04 04:26 PM

I did wear a cup but it still hurts to get kicked there, I practice TKD and Hapkido, but this was a TKD test.

Re: getting to be the heavy :sigh: - 07/17/04 10:51 PM

Oh good thing you have the cup, better than nothing. I take TKD too, a good TKD school. (Contrary to popular belief THEY DO EXIST!) I'm 15 now and take TKD and when I took TSD when I was 5-11 I was asked to help w/ classes when I was 11! Those are the kind of schools you want to avoid! Because I was teaching class at that age haha, I understand you just helped out and was the human target and that's okay just gotta be careful. Those little kids want to prove they can fight and they will hurt you and think they are really something.

Re: getting to be the heavy :sigh: - 07/18/04 02:26 PM

I say be greatful you only got a bloody nose and a kick to the groin. These are children we are talking about. They can do dammage but it could have been worse. I am now a brow belt, the system does not matter brown belts are all treated the same or at least they should be, and that makes me the punching bag that moves and attacks. I have been the punching bag since I was seventeen. I am nineteen now and I will tell you that I have learned more from being thrown around than I have from just learning in class. And these are all adults I am talking about. No one under twentyfive, seven of which are blackbelt or higher. I've had my nuts smashed, multiple busted lips, black eyes, both knees out of comission, brused abdomen from repeated punches, hyperextended elbows, stripped neck muscles, pulled back muscles, and to this day I still do not have feeling in my left kneecap. But throught all of that I have grown very strong and there are not many people at my level that I can not play with in a match. So **** it up and quit crying.

Re: getting to be the heavy :sigh: - 08/05/04 06:07 PM

Christiancadet, props to you. I am laughing very hard right now.