My karate school story

Posted by: Anonymous

My karate school story - 07/05/04 08:27 PM

when i was 16 I was in this American karate school in my pursuit for
trying schools out to see what school i wanted to devote my life too

i got up to yeller belt. One time In class we were sparring
and they put me up against this brown belt well ,,we were goint at it and i guess i started to get the better of him.
then my teacher who at the time was a 5th degree black belt old italian
guy with a big pot belly stopped our fight and he stepped in telling the brown belt to step out . I started sparring My teacher and when he blocked my front kicks he used this downard tiger paw strikes or leopard blows on my legs trying to hurt my legs with his blocks. It didnt really hurt
much then he made some remarks about me trying to beat his brown belt. I really didn't know what he was talking about
I tried to win against whoever i fought and his brown belt was no exception . His teaching in that area was strange i guess he wanted me to let the brown belt win,,, any way i'm just rambling on,,,

a few months later I leftthat school it just was not what i was looking for

anyone else with similar experiences

Re: My karate school story - 07/06/04 01:29 AM

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/cool.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by OklahomasGreg (edited 08-02-2004).]
Posted by: Shaolinboy

Re: My karate school story - 07/06/04 03:08 AM

I guess once people reach a higher grade they automatically think they are invincible and don't have to train as hard. A while a go in my Kung Fu class I was sparring with a very skilled Black sash. He has been in tournaments and won trophies. I'm only a yello sash and while we were sparring I managed to get a beautiful shot to his chin which knocked him back and shook him up.
However when ever anyone spars with my instructor he usually wons anyway. The day I see my instructor get beaten thats the day I will quit.
Higher grades are suppose to represent experience and skill as well as a deeper level of understanding of the Art. They also have a responsibility to conduct themselves as wise humble people.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: My karate school story - 07/06/04 10:36 AM

Good Morning theblackdragons:

Fortunately I was a grown up when I began my study. Having more rank, or striking someone of higher ranking has very little to do with anything. It is very possible to get hit by anyone at any time. We are not invinsible <sp.?>.

The question becomes, what do I do WHEN I am hit... do i crumble? Do I stop the contest? To I slaughter someone because I'm now "allowed"...? Or do I contuinue...

Hitting someone is never the only skill.

Jeff

when i was 16 I was in this American karate school in my pursuit for
trying schools out to see what school i wanted to devote my life too

i got up to yeller belt. One time In class we were sparring
and they put me up against this brown belt well ,,we were goint at it and i guess i started to get the better of him.
then my teacher who at the time was a 5th degree black belt old italian
guy with a big pot belly stopped our fight and he stepped in telling the brown belt to step out . I started sparring My teacher and when he blocked my front kicks he used this downard tiger paw strikes or leopard blows on my legs trying to hurt my legs with his blocks. It didnt really hurt
much then he made some remarks about me trying to beat his brown belt. I really didn't know what he was talking about
I tried to win against whoever i fought and his brown belt was no exception . His teaching in that area was strange i guess he wanted me to let the brown belt win,,, any way i'm just rambling on,,,

a few months later I leftthat school it just was not what i was looking for

anyone else with similar experiences
[/QUOTE]

Re: My karate school story - 07/06/04 03:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shaolinboy:
A while a go in my Kung Fu class I was sparring with a very skilled Black sash.

?How does the Kung Fu Sash system work?

I managed to get a beautiful shot to his chin which knocked him back and shook him up.

?So you guys are full contact?

However when ever anyone spars with my instructor he usually wons anyway. The day I see my instructor get beaten thats the day I will quit.

Theres going to come a day when you are able to defeat your teacher; what then. You should realize that theres more to martial arts training than fighting. It sounds like you have a lot of respect for your teacher. My suggestion is to finish your training under him no matter what happens in the sparring ring. He'll have wisdom that he can pass to you, so you don't have to make the same mistakes in your training that he did.

[/QUOTE]