i suck at fightin

Posted by: Anonymous

i suck at fightin - 06/19/04 02:31 PM

It was yesterday that this guy started pushing me and then i pushed him 4 feet back, and my heart was pumping fast, and i have some major headache problems once in a while and the next thing i know, he charged me and i fell on my knees. My head was below and between his legs and his left hand was on my back, holding me down so i couldn't get up. I attempt to get up but finally got up after receiving 3 punches on the back. Then security came. Can someone give me some advice? [ ps. after i pushed him back 4 feet, i started having headache and started getting dizzy ]
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: i suck at fightin - 06/19/04 03:22 PM

Hi,

First off it sounds as if you my have suffered a stress reaction. Very importatant, You should seek competent medical advice as to your physical condition.

Stress is real and its effects are physiological. I'm not an expert but it certainly sounds like you were experiencing a physical response from the stress of your situation, and those physical effects can be incapacating.

Not knowing how of if you've been trained it is possible you're response while driving them back may have more than infurated your attacker, too.

There is no one set answer when somebody gets in your face. Learning to side step them, or laughing your head off at their effort to get inside their head are as strong a response as taking them appart and may require far greater skill than punching.

You always could have asked them to just stop . But realistically one can't answer what one does not observe.

So try and understand medically why you responded by collapsing. And if you really fear this will occur again, seeking competent training may help you respond more effectively.

By competent training it may be anything that keeps your body and sole together. Not just armchair heroics of your best blasting technique.

You have some chance to make your own good luck as you survived this instance. Chose how to prepare better in other circumstances.

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu
Posted by: schanne

Re: i suck at fightin - 06/21/04 04:02 PM

Remember the HBO movie "Sopranos" Every time Tony had a black out the doctor would try and analyze his rooted problems. It could be a lot of different thing from high blood pressure to the stress thing. (My best Soprano voice)You could see a doctor and get one of those there stress test.. ahhy you listen'n ta me!

Forgot something, Just because you got all worked up and your andrenaline went crazy it doesn't mean"you suck at fighting" That something you get use to over time. If you have been training for a number of years and someone did that to you and you said "you suck at fighting" well then maybe you do but it sounds like your young and a newbie. Do you belong to a Dojo and if so how old are you????

[This message has been edited by schanne (edited 06-21-2004).]

Re: i suck at fightin - 06/21/04 10:59 PM

Yes i did feel high blood pressure, and incresed heart beat rate. No, i do not take any type of martial arts. If i want to go to the doctor and take one of those stress test thing, what am i suppose to say to the doctor?

Re: i suck at fightin - 06/22/04 05:10 AM

Hi, Seeing a doctor should be the same as anytime you think there may be a physical problem.

To see a doctor, simply describe the situation, what you experienced and ask his evaluation whether it was a reasonable physiological stress response for you.

He will determine whether you need testing or further treatment.

As for 'fighting', regardless of the quick talk these lists generate, martial training ought not be about fighting, rather how to prepare to aviod having to fight, and if that fails then technique and training how to end a fight rationally and quickly.

Only you can determine if martial training is appropriate for you, though I think you've provided an example where it wouldn't have hurt.

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu
Posted by: schanne

Re: i suck at fightin - 06/22/04 02:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lilguyboi03:
Yes i did feel high blood pressure, and incresed heart beat rate. No, i do not take any type of martial arts. If i want to go to the doctor and take one of those stress test thing, what am i suppose to say to the doctor?[/QUOTE]

Aaahhh, how about the truth, except for the fighting part. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: i suck at fightin - 06/22/04 07:46 PM

what truth... ? o_0

Re: i suck at fightin - 06/22/04 09:23 PM

In the interest of fairness lets stop further discussion. The thread originator isn't a practicing martial artist, and further word games won't add further value to his experience.

Pleasantly,

Victor Smith

Re: i suck at fightin - 07/02/04 02:57 PM

Sounds like your adrenaline got the best of you.
Always stay calm in a fight, dont get angry even if you are struck. I was taught that the moment you loose your cool in a fight, is the moment you have lost that fight.

Re: i suck at fightin - 07/05/04 04:37 AM

to dude

just imagine that that the scum bag is going to
stab your mom shoot your dad and rape your sister you will be plenty pissed and your surival insticts will take over and over ride your emotions ,, The primititive part of your brain will over power if you still have trouble ,,aside form a doc get into meditation and when you get used to it start
replaying the vision in your head of the attacker and then if you feel your blood rush then relax and eventually you will be able to stay relaxed in those situations
buy the bsmall red book on bruce lees 1 and 3 inch punch there is an excellent chapter like 3pgs long
on how to program your brain to relax your
mind and body when you say the word relax
it works i promise it. I use it my self

good luck

Re: i suck at fightin - 07/05/04 08:17 PM

It was yesterday that this guy started pushing me and then i pushed him 4 feet back, and my heart was pumping fast, and i have some major headache problems once in a while and the next thing i know, he charged me and i fell on my knees. My head was below and between his legs and his left hand was on my back, holding me down so i couldn't get up. I attempt to get up but finally got up after receiving 3 punches on the back. Then security came. Can someone give me some advice? [ ps. after i pushed him back 4 feet, i started having headache and started getting dizzy ][/QUOTE] i think that u prolly had a rush a head rush that is prolly why u got dissy also about that thing were he was on top of u punching then just grab his/her hair with 1 hand then take the other grab his or her shirt and also train harder build muscle

Re: i suck at fightin - 07/05/04 08:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brucejkd13:
It was yesterday that this guy started pushing me and then i pushed him 4 feet back, and my heart was pumping fast, and i have some major headache problems once in a while and the next thing i know, he charged me and i fell on my knees. My head was below and between his legs and his left hand was on my back, holding me down so i couldn't get up. I attempt to get up but finally got up after receiving 3 punches on the back. Then security came. Can someone give me some advice? [ ps. after i pushed him back 4 feet, i started having headache and started getting dizzy ][/QUOTE] i think that u prolly had a rush a head rush that is prolly why u got dissy also about that thing were he was on top of u punching then just grab his/her hair with 1 hand then take the other grab his or her shirt and also train harder build muscle

[/QUOTE]also i think u should study the art of DIM MAK it is pressure points go to this site www.dimmak.net

Re: i suck at fightin - 07/06/04 08:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Victor Smith:
Hi,

First off it sounds as if you my have suffered a stress reaction. Very importatant, You should seek competent medical advice as to your physical condition.

Stress is real and its effects are physiological. I'm not an expert but it certainly sounds like you were experiencing a physical response from the stress of your situation, and those physical effects can be incapacating.

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu
[/QUOTE]

you might be starting to get narcilepsy

Re: i suck at fightin - 07/07/04 08:28 PM

the best thing to do is go outside ofr a walk or go to your bedroom turn off all light and sounds and try to meditate to relive the stress so your in better fighting condition
Posted by: Tatsumaru

Re: i suck at fightin - 07/08/04 09:59 AM

you dont have to learn to fight to stop that incident happening again and even with your breathing problem there are a lot of things you can learn to defend yourself that require very little effort in the way of movement.
I know your adrenalines going nuts and all you wanna do is dive on your attacker and paste his head up the pavement,everyone wants to because it looks cool.
You dont necesarily need to learn how to fight and just because you had a bad incident doesnt mean you cant fight,everyone can fight,I think if anything you'd need to learn to just defend yourself,defuse the situation before it escolates in to anything bigger and by the sound sof it you just need a little experience dealing with this sort of situation,because once you know how to deal with it you don't get so fired up so easily.
My best defense is ignorance,if you completly blank someone whos giving you abuse your the better person for walking away,no fighting,dont even make eye contact,yet you get the satisfaction of knowing their just minute idiots in the world trying to show off like primates.
Plus it annoys them so so much more because their trying to get a reaction out of you,if they don't get it,they look like pratts,not you.

For the breathing problems,i'd say start off something light if you want to get in to martial arts but definately see your doctor about it,make sure he knows whats going on with you and he thinks it's ok,if he does make sure you tell your instructor about your condition so he doesn't push you too hard.

Re: i suck at fightin - 07/08/04 02:00 PM

well if u have breathing problems maybe u have asthma in that case take martial arts one litle step at a time

Re: i suck at fightin - 10/06/04 09:52 PM

Hey, first post.

I have social anxiety disorder, and before I got on medication, I used to have panic attacks when physical altercations started, because of all of the attention that it drew. I had panic attacks at other times, but that's irrelevant. Try Zoloft.

I have to question Victor Smith's connection between training at a dojo and being good at fighting. If you want to be good at fighting, you have to be comfortable with hurting, maiming, and possibly killing other living, breathing human beings. Not only do you need to be comfortable with it, but in a fight, it must immediately become your primary focus. Many karate students can get taken out by preemptive headlocks and the like because they do not *train* in realistic situations.

Next time somebody pushes you, just duck into a protective stance and kick him the shins, hard, again and again. Unless you routinely square off against Muay-Thay kickboxers and such, it should put him down. Then run.