The tornado fist combo?!?

Posted by: Wolfpack

The tornado fist combo?!? - 05/02/04 02:13 AM

I was just recalling one of my first sparring matchs. My partner, as usual for my early fighting days, was a thai boxer the went by the name of Sam. This was long before i had started my karate training, my opponent Sam was skilled, strong and lethal and against this I had only my determination.

The match took place between me and him at a party during grade 10. I had a nice row of spectators who were watching me get pummeled. Sam was dodging my punchs like nobodies buiseness (I had no kicking strength back then so my kicks were ineffective and useless), I think I must have landed only 3 to 5 blows for the first part of the fight. Frankly, I was doing terrible but I sucked up the pain (mostly in my leg from his low kicks) and I kept on fighting.

He had just finished a low kick that had made my leg shiver, then fiegned a punch, and then gave me a left hook to my face when it happend. I went with the momentum of the hook, spun around, hit him with a backfist from my right hand, while continueing my momentum I hit him with a left hook of my own, still continueing with the momentum, I land another spinning backfist and left hook. I then proceeded to REVERSE my momentum and sucker punch him right in the nose.

Never before having landed any form of combo on him before, I dropped my gloves in suprise at what I had just accomplished and just stared at him as he stumbled back from the hits. I had never felt more awesome during a match. I even got a full out cheer from the crowd. I'm sure many of you are scoffing at such a ridiculiouse techique as the Tornado Fist but still the memory makes me smile as I think that for a little while, I got to be the tough guy in my grade.

Happy highschool memories [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: The tornado fist combo?!? - 05/18/04 04:04 PM

Amazing story! I've seen where people have gotten punched and spun around with a spinning backfist, but tornado combo...thats awesome. It generally isn't wise to ever turn your back to your opponent in a fight, but when you hit someone the least you expect them to do is counter that swiftly. Whatever works right! Did you win in the end, did the combo take the fight out of him?
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: The tornado fist combo?!? - 05/25/04 11:26 PM

Actually if you rode the left hook, it would have been your left hand that landed the backfist. So either you are making it up, or you don't know left from right.

[This message has been edited by otobeawanker (edited 05-26-2004).]
Posted by: Kyoku

Re: The tornado fist combo?!? - 06/08/04 12:16 AM

I agree with the others otobeawanker. I know nothing, and I admit that freely. I am here to learn, not critize. If you are so learned, why do you even bother using this forum?
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: The tornado fist combo?!? - 06/08/04 09:40 PM

I am learned, but the more you know the less you know.

Its just simple physics.

If you ride a left hook around for a backfist, you will be turning counter clockwise. Therfore your back of your left hand will be stiking the backfist not the right.

Details are important.
Posted by: ken harding

Re: The tornado fist combo?!? - 06/14/04 05:55 AM

ohtobeawanker, knowledge you may have, wisdom, you would seem to lack.

Re: The tornado fist combo?!? - 06/15/04 12:58 AM

Well, i'm not the best story teller so you can fault a few mistakes can't you. You seem to get what I was trying to say though. And in answer to your question dragonfire, no he ended up taking the fight from me as I had had no formal training at that point in my life; he did and he outwieghed me by 20 pounds but damn it was a much better fight after that [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Anpadh

Re: The tornado fist combo?!? - 06/17/04 02:46 PM

I know what you mean, Wolfpack. There was this kid who used to always jump me from the back, and watch me hit the ground, every time. He did it without malice, I guess, because he never tried to beat me up or anything. He just thought it was hilarious. Finally, I learned a judo (?) trick from an older friend (I was in middle school and he was in high school). It enabled me to pull both of the other kid's arms over my shoulders and flip him over my head, when he charged me from the back, the next time. It was hilarious to see his expression when he flew through the air and landed on the floor. Well, it was not really a floor. It was well-padded with thick mattresses as it was where we learned to do somersaults, during PE. Still, it was nice to see him be surprised, for once. He never tried it again. Nobody was really hurt, but it was really funny and it felt good to see him be the one on the floor, for once. I know, it isn't as spectacular a story as the Tornado Fist, but it's still a good memory :-)

Re: The tornado fist combo?!? - 08/10/04 01:17 AM

lol good job bro. I would have liked to have seen that. What you did actaully takes skill, i just got lucky when I was being spun around by a sucker punch [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: The tornado fist combo?!? - 08/17/04 07:40 PM

otobeawanker, do you know what a hook is? It is where you left hand (if thrown with you're left), moves from the left of you're body to the right, thereby moving clockwise, not counter clockwise. If you throw you left hook with you left foot in front, that puts you right hand in back. A backfist also moves clockwise (it is basically the opposite of a hook.) so if you continue to spin until you're right foot is in front, you can then throw the backfist with the right hand. So what he is saying makes perfect sense, and you are wrong. I don't know why no one pointed this out earlier, as it is obvious.

[This message has been edited by Radok (edited 08-17-2004).]

Re: The tornado fist combo?!? - 09/13/04 07:47 PM

well theres other names it could be the hurricane punch, twister smash, cyclone hit

Re: The tornado fist combo?!? - 10/01/04 06:50 PM

ok now for sumthin else its momentum not a tornado fist combo or anything i did the same thing in soccer i missed the ball (which i dont regulurly do) and spun around in circles its momentum my friend momentum

Re: The tornado fist combo?!? - 10/03/04 06:50 PM

hey for all you know i could call it the hurricane kick

Re: The tornado fist combo?!? - 10/07/04 04:50 PM

if I am not mistaken, If you get hit and are spun around it is momentum. But if you use your momentum to deliver 2 spinning punches you can call it a tornado fist punch, and if you use the tornado fist as the main part of a combo it can be called a tornado fist combo.
The move I know called “hurricane kick” (tatsumaki senpuukiaku) is a series of rotative kicks that does not use the momentum of a hit you have taken.
My fighting style has group of techniques designed to use your momentum after taking or blocking a hit called something like “reap the whirlwind”

[This message has been edited by kagemusha (edited 10-10-2004).]