A lesson from the Power Rangers

Posted by: DamaiBushi

A lesson from the Power Rangers - 11/07/01 07:03 PM

Kanichiwa all. Before I begin my short-story, I'd like to begin off with saying I'm freshly new here. I first noticed this site when my Sensei gave the class a print out of a article he wrote for his site. Anyway, here I am.
Now with my story.

Second grade brawls. We all remember our little play ground fights with small fists flying onto pudgy little faces and rowling around in the dirt on the field. In my case, it was a little different. It was recess. The spring time. It was a little cool outside. I was in the second grade, and I was about 8 or 9 years old. Me and one of my friends got into a little nit-pick that made us cross our arms and turn into our own directions. Evidently he told his friends about it. His friends- turning on me. I was only 4 feet tall at the time, and weighed no more than 45 lbs. I was one tiny second grader. His friends walk up to me all mean and tough looking, and them big mouthing that they're going to kick my butt for hurting Toney's feelings. I decided to play tough back and asked them "what are you going to do about it?" I clearly found out the answer soon enough. Before I knew it I had 3 boys chassing me across the field, onto the black top, and cornered at the trailer on the school back- parking lot. I remember a few hard hits to the stomach, and me effortlessly trying to deffend myself. I only remember one hit to the face but it left me with a bloody lip. I was able to squeeze myself away from them and run halfway across the parking lot before I was grabbed under the arms and held into a nice tight-hold. I had no way to my knowledge how to escape(but now I know how I could've gotten out of it. One of the boys named Joe stood infront of me, while his other friend kept me in that tight hold with my arms down going numb. Joe ran at me, with a fist balled in his hands, ready to punch me in the stomach. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers came to mind. My favorite show in the universe. I decided I wasn't going to let this "puddy" take me down. As Joe ran at me, I sprang up, bent my knee's, droped back a bit onto the boy holding me, and kicked Joe in the groin hard enough to drop him. Talk about your lesson for the day. To me, that was self deffense. I had called for help a few times but the play-ground aids were across the school yard watching the boys play soccer. But how lovely it was to FINALLY notice me and those two boys fighting eachother. That was self-deffense. I could've sworn those boys mothers never taught them to NEVER hit a girl! Oh well, when a boy hits a girl, there's serious pay-back. I got into more trouble than those two did. But there was no principal calling home or anything like that. Just me and the hench-man of those boys talking with the teacher. We made our truce, and promised to never fight again...
**************AUTHORS NOTE******************
Well, that's my true life story from second grade. Anyways, I'm 14 years old now, in the 8th grade. My name's Ashley. I'm 14 years old, and yes I'm a female. That's not the only time I was caught in the line of fire. During my primary years of school I got into alot of fist-swinging fights. But of coarse, I never started it. I was never a bad kid, and no, I never fought out of anger. Just out of self defense. Sometimes I think I watched TOO MUCH Power Rangers, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Tutrles, and Dragon Ball/Z. But one of those shows came in handy in second grade!
Me and all those boys are "friends" now. We're kind of like rivals, but we don't go around hitting eachother. They just like trading insults with me, so I just tend to roll my eyes at them.
I'm a amateure at Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu; best commonly known as Sholin. I'm a white belt, and I'm loving it. I want to thank my Sensei for being such a great instructor.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 11/15/01 08:49 PM

Thank you for your story.

Power Rangers were a very powerful force.

My own son was running through the house years ago playing Power Rangers with his younger sister when he slipped, fell and broke his arm. A good break both bones.

So an interesting night at the hospital and a cast for several months. Which when it came off and he slipped and broke the arm again was a call for a second cast.

Such are my own Power Ranger Stories.

Thanks,
Victor Smithh
Posted by: Jeniko

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 06/20/02 11:04 AM

Just found this place, very nice place too... im 17 at the moment and learning Kung Fu and enjoying it alot, a few years before that during the time i was at school i was learning Karate but for some reason gave it up at Purple belt which i much regret.
Anyway, heres my story.

At school, i was never the cool one, i was a quiet person and never told anyone that i had been doing Karate for some time.
At the end of one day whilst i walking to the bikesheds too get my bike too go home, this ignorant lad called 'Danny Harper' who didn't like me was kicking my bag, i carried on walking thinking maybe he'd tire of it, but he continued too do so, so i turned around, took my bag and coat off ready to defend myself, but then thought too myself " what am i doing? " so i calmly picked my bag and coat back up and continued too walk, but Danny then continued too kick my bag, then he kicked me in the back so i dropped my bag, turned around ready too defend myself, by that time there was a little croud around me and danny expecting too see him kick my ass, he then moved in for a punch in the face which i blocked, then i retaliated with a side kick too the stomach pushing him backwards and leaning over slightly due too the pain, i then went too punch him in the face but he moved his head, then i heard him say " ha! missed! " at that time, out of no where i turned my fist around and snapped my the back of my fist into his temple which hit him hard enough too confuse him, then he put his hand over his temple and crouched on the floor in defeat whilst all his friends saying " COME ON DANNY! JOES A PUSSY!!! " so too me i thought i'd denfended myself and the thret was over, so i calmly picked my bag back up and walked off too get my bike and go home, as i was taking my bike someone came up behind me and told me the teacher wanted too see me, turns out we both got put in detention, ever since then Danny was fine too me.

So that was my little story, PowerRangers being the influance too make me start Karate.

Jeniko
Posted by: Jeniko

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 06/20/02 11:14 AM

Just found this place, very nice place too... im 17 at the moment and learning Kung Fu and enjoying it alot, a few years before that during the time i was at school i was learning Karate but for some reason gave it up at Purple belt which i much regret.
Anyway, heres my story.

At school, i was never the cool one, i was a quiet person and never told anyone that i had been doing Karate for some time.
At the end of one day whilst i walking to the bikesheds too get my bike too go home, this ignorant lad called 'Danny Harper' who didn't like me was kicking my bag, i carried on walking thinking maybe he'd tire of it, but he continued too do so, so i turned around, took my bag and coat off ready to defend myself, but then thought too myself " what am i doing? " so i calmly picked my bag and coat back up and continued too walk, but Danny then continued too kick my bag, then he kicked me in the back so i dropped my bag, turned around ready too defend myself, by that time there was a little croud around me and danny expecting too see him kick my ass, he then moved in for a punch in the face which i blocked, then i retaliated with a side kick too the stomach pushing him backwards and leaning over slightly due too the pain, i then went too punch him in the face but he moved his head, then i heard him say " ha! missed! " at that time, out of no where i turned my fist around and snapped my the back of my fist into his temple which hit him hard enough too confuse him, then he put his hand over his temple and crouched on the floor in defeat whilst all his friends saying " COME ON DANNY! JOES A PUSSY!!! " so too me i thought i'd denfended myself and the thret was over, so i calmly picked my bag back up and walked off too get my bike and go home, as i was taking my bike someone came up behind me and told me the teacher wanted too see me, turns out we both got put in detention, ever since then Danny was fine too me.

So that was my little story, PowerRangers being the influance too make me start Karate.

Jeniko
Posted by: Shadow Warrior Girl

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 03/28/03 10:20 AM

``` [QUOTE]Originally posted by DamaiBushi:
Kanichiwa all. Before I begin my short-story, I'd like to begin off with saying I'm freshly new here. I first noticed this site when my Sensei gave the class a print out of a article he wrote for his site. Anyway, here I am.
Now with my story.

Second grade brawls. We all remember our little play ground fights with small fists flying onto pudgy little faces and rowling around in the dirt on the field. In my case, it was a little different. It was recess. The spring time. It was a little cool outside. I was in the second grade, and I was about 8 or 9 years old. Me and one of my friends got into a little nit-pick that made us cross our arms and turn into our own directions. Evidently he told his friends about it. His friends- turning on me. I was only 4 feet tall at the time, and weighed no more than 45 lbs. I was one tiny second grader. His friends walk up to me all mean and tough looking, and them big mouthing that they're going to kick my butt for hurting Toney's feelings. I decided to play tough back and asked them "what are you going to do about it?" I clearly found out the answer soon enough. Before I knew it I had 3 boys chassing me across the field, onto the black top, and cornered at the trailer on the school back- parking lot. I remember a few hard hits to the stomach, and me effortlessly trying to deffend myself. I only remember one hit to the face but it left me with a bloody lip. I was able to squeeze myself away from them and run halfway across the parking lot before I was grabbed under the arms and held into a nice tight-hold. I had no way to my knowledge how to escape(but now I know how I could've gotten out of it. One of the boys named Joe stood infront of me, while his other friend kept me in that tight hold with my arms down going numb. Joe ran at me, with a fist balled in his hands, ready to punch me in the stomach. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers came to mind. My favorite show in the universe. I decided I wasn't going to let this "puddy" take me down. As Joe ran at me, I sprang up, bent my knee's, droped back a bit onto the boy holding me, and kicked Joe in the groin hard enough to drop him. Talk about your lesson for the day. To me, that was self deffense. I had called for help a few times but the play-ground aids were across the school yard watching the boys play soccer. But how lovely it was to FINALLY notice me and those two boys fighting eachother. That was self-deffense. I could've sworn those boys mothers never taught them to NEVER hit a girl! Oh well, when a boy hits a girl, there's serious pay-back. I got into more trouble than those two did. But there was no principal calling home or anything like that. Just me and the hench-man of those boys talking with the teacher. We made our truce, and promised to never fight again...
Well, that's my true life story from second grade. Anyways, I'm 14 years old now, in the 8th grade. My name's Ashley. I'm 14 years old, and yes I'm a female. That's not the only time I was caught in the line of fire. During my primary years of school I got into alot of fist-swinging fights. But of coarse, I never started it. I was never a bad kid, and no, I never fought out of anger. Just out of self defense. Sometimes I think I watched TOO MUCH Power Rangers, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Tutrles, and Dragon Ball/Z. But one of those shows came in handy in second grade!
Me and all those boys are "friends" now. We're kind of like rivals, but we don't go around hitting eachother. They just like trading insults with me, so I just tend to roll my eyes at them.
I'm a amateure at Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu; best commonly known as Sholin. I'm a white belt, and I'm loving it. I want to thank my Sensei for being such a great instructor.
[/QUOTE]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Hey Ashely. My name's Stephanie. I know how you feel when people pick fights with you. If I was you I would of done the same thing.Becides who want's to be held by some bullies. I take karate where I'm from and it's great. I love doing all the moves but not just to hurt but for selfdefence. Or when I like to fool around with some friends of mine. But I just do it lightly. Anyhow... I watch the samethings as you. Even Power Rangers that show is what got me into karate in the first place. They are so awesome. But I like the Pink ranger the most cause she looks cool and her wepons are the best.
Posted by: NSDFRand

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 04/03/03 10:14 PM

im fifteen in highschool and taking tae kwon do i used to when i was between 8 and 10 i quit at yellow which i regret but heres a story

my second year in eighth grade(failed) this kid and a bunch of his little friends try to pick on me (weird considering im 6' 3" 360 odd lbs) and this one kid pushed me from behind in the library and tryed to run away

i caught him and hit him when he ducked down and slammed his head into a window ripped off his necklace and made him cry

thats the reason i started taking up martial arts again because in all the fights i had been in i lost control some kind of reaction to adrenalyne and i sort of saw it all hazy and slow and didnt know what i was doing

moral of the story

japanese power rangers > american power rangers
Posted by: Ender

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 05/24/03 12:05 PM

I was also very out of control in my younger years, and actually still hold a school record at my middle school for the most fights ever recorded by a single student in one year (37 fights in grade 7). I have now learned the control I always required. I have not been in a fight in well over 2 years, and though some have tried to make themselves look big by taking a swing at me, I always disperse of them without hurting them. Heres a little story of mine..

Awhile back a bunch of "thugs" (me being in highschool and all) wanted to look big by hitting me. One of them stepped up and threw a right hook at my face, unfortunately the kid couldn't punch his way out of a paper bag and was horribly slow. I executed a quick soto-uke (outside middle) block with my right arm, and then grabbed the arm with my left hand as it swang across, then, pulling him with my arm, I went to work with around a dozen strikes to his face and chest with my right arm. Only I never hit him. Every strike stopped about one inch from him, and on the last one I Kiai'd and I swear he nearly shat himself. After that, I was right in his face staring at him, and he just trembled, processing what had just happened. With that, I let go, stepped back, and continued on my way. These days when I walk through the hallway, people move out of the way just for me. Not out of fear, but out of respect, because I had the chance to brutally beat somone and chose not to.
Posted by: Lothmir

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 06/21/03 10:58 PM

Like many of you, I'm in high school. I started Tae Kwon Do when I was about 9. The first year, was kind of a waste of time cause I didn't really have commited instructors. Later, I went and got some real training. Anywho, though I'll openly admit I was in martial arts and people always challenge me. I refuse to accept their challenges because I have more respect for myself than to bring myself to their level. Anywho, I've been one of the lucky ones who has never been in a real fight. I've come close many times in the last few years, but I guess my silent death stares scare them off. I don't know. Going on the whole power rangers theme. My friend, my brother, and I make up our own type of rangers. We were the weather rangers. I was wind, my brother tornado, and my friend thunder. All three of us started, not just because of Power Rangers, but so far, I'm the only one who has made it to black. :-D Sorry for the random ramblings of nothingness! Thanks for you time and your stories!

-Lothmir(Flower Jewel)
Posted by: Karate Dude

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 06/22/03 07:56 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lothmir:
Like many of you, I'm in high school. I started Tae Kwon Do when I was about 9. The first year, was kind of a waste of time cause I didn't really have commited instructors. Later, I went and got some real training. Anywho, though I'll openly admit I was in martial arts and people always challenge me. I refuse to accept their challenges because I have more respect for myself than to bring myself to their level. Anywho, I've been one of the lucky ones who has never been in a real fight. I've come close many times in the last few years, but I guess my silent death stares scare them off. I don't know. Going on the whole power rangers theme. My friend, my brother, and I make up our own type of rangers. We were the weather rangers. I was wind, my brother tornado, and my friend thunder. All three of us started, not just because of Power Rangers, but so far, I'm the only one who has made it to black. :-D Sorry for the random ramblings of nothingness! Thanks for you time and your stories!

-Lothmir(Flower Jewel)
[/QUOTE]Great post. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: MAGon

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 07/25/03 11:48 AM

Ashley: I loved your story!!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
One reason I did is because I have a 7 yr. old little girl, who just started Hung Gar Kung Fu. Anyone that knows me has heard of my three wishes for her: That she grow up to be the first Ms. Universe with a Ph.D. in Astrophysics as well as Kickboxing Champion! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
But the neatest thing about it is that there are two big lessons in it, for senseis even, and you learned them by age 8-9:
Sweetie, you handled the situation better than some black belts I can think of, because you took care of the primary threat first by kicking the boy that was getting ready to punch you in the face and neutralizing him, instead of worrying about the one who was holding you. He wasn't an immediate threat, because his hands were busy holding on to you and, at that close a range, even if he'd thought of using his feet, he wouldn't have been able to hurt you as much as the boy to your front. Many martial artists would've gotten hung up on all the neat techniques they know about dealing with a grab from the rear and would've been distracted from the more dangerous attack from the front.
The other lesson is that you were smart enough to use a technique that you thought effective without worrying about where it came from. And yet many experienced martial artists refuse to even look at the techniques from other styles or martial arts, because they get into this mind set that their particular art has ALL the answers. And that's not so.
Congratulations on your quick thinking and openmindedness, and good luck in your Shorin Ryu. I think you'll be very good at it!

[This message has been edited by MAGon (edited 07-25-2003).]

[This message has been edited by MAGon (edited 07-25-2003).]
Posted by: Bossman

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 08/25/03 01:35 PM

I helped write a script for the video and wrote a book called "Karate Warrior" with the Red Power Ranger (Austin St John) and I have to say that he was one of the most well educated and good mannered Martial Artists that I ever met.

At the video shoot he explained good manners and ettiquete to the children involved in the shoot and even got the boys to wait patiently whilst the girls collected their food first.

I was impressed!

Steve Rowe
Posted by: Karate kid

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 09/09/03 08:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DamaiBushi:
Now with my story.

[/QUOTE]

COOL, im 14 and take aikido for a while now.
Posted by: Tatsumaru

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 11/08/03 05:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DamaiBushi:
Now with my story.

[/QUOTE]

I know girls can be excellent fighters too,i'm not being sexist,but girls are always smaller than guys,it hurts more if a guy hits a guy,someone said once men are the strength and women are the wisdom,couldn't be more true,we men have the brawn,but the women do the thinking.
It makes me sick when I see a man raise his fist to a woman,I used to be the fat kid who was always picked on at school,i was big but i wouldnt fight back,so I never used to stick up for myself.
I remember once,I saw a guy with a woman against some railings,in broad daylight,pounding her head with his fist,but of course I was only 12,and I had low self esteem,I couldnt do a thing,I felt so helpless.
But i'm 19 now,and i've takena very big transformation,I learn bits and bobs all over the place but after reading up on the Samurai's true links,I decided i'd get myself in to the very style used against them,Karate,and DAMN it's made my self confidence soar up,anyways more ot the point,it was a little while back,I saw a guy raise his fist to a woman,but I wasn't the helpless little 12 year old anymore,so I went over,and openly asked him to raise his fist to me not her.
lol,i think he was kind of stunned,he wasnt a small bloke,but i said to him "hit someone your own size I dare you".
He didn't,sadley,I would have Uraken'ed his nose across his face if he did.
But I think people need to stick up for girls they see in situations like that,i'm not trying to portray them as the damzels in distress,but they learn a thing or two when someone their own size challenges them,it's amazing how much they back down.
And as for power rangers,they were my lead to martial arts as well,I still have all the old toys in the loft,with it's boxes and everything,the karate choppin' figures,I was a maniac with it all,I even met them once,well,people dressed up like them..ahhhhh,I got a cuddle from the pink ranger too,mind you it was probably a bloke,he did have a helmet on.
Thinking about it i'd love to spar with Jason Frank,he was my childhood hero (he was green and white ranger BTW) so it'd be a dream to spar with him.
anyways,keep safe all and do yourselves a favor,dont do anything I do.
Posted by: 40+TKDLee

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 12/13/03 11:33 AM

Hello all,
As you can see by Username, I am 40+ (42 to be exact). I too am totally against violence toward women (thanks to an abusive father). This story happened thirty years ago, shortly after said father died. During school, between classes, we had to wait for the teacher to arrive and open the classrom door. During this time, a kid named Jason was running around pretending to hit the boys in stomach and face (pow, crunch....that sort of Batman schtick), anyway he ran out of boys and pretended to hit this girl in face, actually coming very close to hitting her. The rest just happened in slow motion, with a red haze in front of my eyes. I yelled for him to stop and started chasing him through the hall. He saw I was really pissed and tried to get away. After about fifty feet I had him by the back of the legs and on the ground. I had him pinned underneath me and was ready to put his lights out, but luckily a male teacher grabbed my arm before I could strike. Yes, I mean luckily, because if I would have landed that blow, he would have been seriously hurt. I was suspended (he wasn't, even though other kids defended me) and Jason seemed to learn a lesson, because he did not pretend to hit anyone again (at least not while I was around). Fast forward to about a year ago. My wife and children are going into a fast food place, and this punch is outside wailing on his girlfriend. My wife tells the store manager and the police arrive, yada, yada. She said she glad that I was not with them, because I would have reacted to the situation. She is aware of my MA abilities (at that time a Red belt in TKD) and knows I could have hurt him. Recalling the incident of my youth, I have restrained him until police arrived, instead of trying to hurt him. Just my $.02.

Thanks for listening,
Pilsung
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 07/17/04 07:41 PM

Odly enough.. Power rangers was one of the reasons lol.. i took up martial arts.. i started wing chun when i was 7 and took up ninjitsu when i was 15.

Mighty Morphen Power Rangers....

Alex

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 07/18/04 02:07 PM

My story went a little something like this. I was in fithe grade and a rather chubby little thing. The kid i fought was a year younger than I but a real badass or so everyone else thought. I was a very passive person I would stand there and cry rather than get into a fight. I was never afraid I just didn't like to fight. Well fight for real anyway. This kid had been picking on me fo a solid five months and I just let it happen. I was cool as long as I was not touched. So one day on the ride home he had been doing his usual thing, insults, foul language, that sort of thing. Except this time was different. He decide it would be funny to get me to cry in front of the whole bus. So he starts to knock my head against the window. Not enough to do dammage but just enough to get me angry. My stop came up and he pushed a little too hard and I got mad. I got right in his face and stared him right in the eyes. He just stood there smiling. He knew I wasn't going to do anything. And I never planned to do anything. Once I got my addrenaline back down to where I could handle it my friend Alvin told me to forget him and lets go home. I turned to get my stuff and the back of my head lit up. He had slapped me in the back of the head. That was truly the last straw. I went berserk. I wipped around and caught him with a quick combination I had learned from my father. Back in the day he used to be a ameture boxer. Anyway, I threw two left jabs, a right cross, a left hook, a right uppercut, and another left hook that knocked him into on of the back seats. Then I really lost it. He was in the sea crying in the fetal position. And for some reason his crying to me sounded like laughter. I told you I lost it. I'm standing there over him saying "You're laughing at me," repeating this over and over a few times. Then I started the WWF moves. Leg drops, elbow drops, knee drop, double knee drop, belly flop. I was a madman. Once the rage left and I was back down to just an extreme addrenaline rush I pulled myself off of him. He went to the bus driver to tell what I had did. She had seen him picking on me from time to time and just told him he should have left me alone he came back to the back of the us and sat down crying. The bus driver had seen him picking on other kids as well so she figured he got what was comming to him.

The Original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers ruled after. After the whit ranger it was all down hill.

[This message has been edited by Zatoichi (edited 07-18-2004).]

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 08/06/04 12:20 AM

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers....

anyway i have no story but i used to like green/white ranger, red being secondary.

GOGO POWER RANGERS....
Posted by: ken harding

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 08/06/04 07:12 AM

Maybe it's just me but Power Rangers are banned in our house when I'm about.

Can't stand the damn show but it's nice to see it has been positive for some of you. I will reconsider my views perhaps.

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 08/16/04 01:05 AM

When people ask me why I started Martial Arts, I have to give them the facts:

I was three years old, and dammit, I wanted to be a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle!!!

Heroes in a halfshell, turtle power!

Tang Soo!

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 08/18/04 05:42 PM

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles rocks the scene. Im Italian and Michelangelo is the best. The first fight i got into was either forth of fith grade. I was undersized compared to all the rest of the kids. One day a game of soccer got out of hand and these to boys started to beat up my friend Ryan. Once i noticed what was going on i started to make my way over pushing people out of my way and trying to release myself from his sister cause she didnt want me to fight because Ryan was fighting already. I moved her to the side sprinted and jumped as high as i could. I layed flat in the air and slammed both feet into the chest of the kid opposite my side of ryan( on the ground ). The kid fell and me and ryan both got to our feet. My lower back hurt but it didnt phase me. Both kids tried to bum rush us and I went to work. My brothers taught me the basics and i learned the rest on my own both are bigger than me and older ( 23,26 me 17 )
Lets just say that three kids left bloody. The two kids were punished be me because i was young and dumb ( still am! )and didnt realize how dangerous fighting can be. Ryan layed on the floor with the other kid kicking him. I squared up with the other kid gave him a couple quick shots and when he bent over kneed him in the face. He was done. I turned and saw the other kid kicking ryan walked over and haymakered this kid and he layed flat without getting up. All of us got into trouble but i got into more trouble because " it wasnt my fight and i hurt two kids bad". There has been times when i have gone overboard ( more extreme than this and regretted ) and been arrested. I have no martial arts training and am in the process of finding a style that will suit me. I can say that i have been lucky that is why im still walking today.

LVJohnny

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 08/23/04 04:10 PM

i started Shotokan, (I was very good just so you know) but got out because I realized that I never needed it, and probably never would, (i had never been in a REAL fight), but all those martial arts people inspired me too to get into it. (Jet Li, tmnt, pr, Jackie Chan, and even my father) sry, no point [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 09/30/04 12:37 PM

There have been some really good stories on this thread so far - so I wouldn't be surprised at all if my lil bit will be any interesting hehe.

I'm beginning my first martial arts training next week btw [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

I've never been in a fight in my whole life (I'm 18 now)... probably because a) I manage to talk them out of it... and b) You won't believe the speed and distance that I seem to run at.

Anyways, to my story...

year 7, I'm 11 years old, and this guy hated me for no reason whatsoever... so one day he came opposite me in the school field and a group of about 20-30 spectators immediately formed around us, willing us onto fight. I had nowhere to run, so as he started punching me, I managed to grab his glasses off which I threw as hard as I could onto the grass, and then stamped on them. He started crying and I felt really bad for him - anyways, the fight ended right there, I apologised, he got free glasses from wherever he buys his glasses, and over the next few months we were decent friends.

How does that work? Meh, I'm miffed - but yeah, WingTsun next week, boy I can't wait!

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 10/23/04 05:26 PM

DamaiBushi (ashley)
are you Hot? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/redface.gif[/IMG]

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 10/29/04 04:24 PM

i always try to stray from fights but recently i had an encounter with my friends (now ex) boyfriend, Im 16 and in 11th grade and when i found out that my friend had been having some trouble with her boyfriend naturally i was a little worried for her safety because i live in a pretty bad neighborhood and her boyfriend was one of those guys who wears the giant football jerseys with the hooded sweatshirts under them and pants that are 3 sizes too big, with the crooked baseball cap and the doo rag, anyways one day durring lunch i walked out to find my friend being yelled at by her boyfriend, and he was getting kind of rough with her, grabbing her wrist and yankin her around, unfortunately i couldnt see any teachers or staff around and i was afraid that if i left to find one she might get hurt, so i walked up and got between them and told him that he needed to leave, he gave me one of those gangster wannabe looks and asked "Who the F**K is this?" so i told him again that he needed to leave and he went to push me but when he put pressure on my chest i turned to the side and he lost his balance and fell on his face he got up and swung at me luckily it was a really tellegraphed punch so i saw it coming and blocked it which threw him off guard to where i could grab him and get him in a headlock and on to the ground, i told my friend to go find a teacher and i held him there on the ground for probably a minute before she returned with the campus officer. luckily this guy was a horrible fighter or someone may have gotten hurt. all that happened to me was i got a few small scrapes because he was thrashing around so much while i was holding him on the ground. i would tell you some of the nasty things he said but i doubt any of you want to hear that. I got away lucky too because usually both people fighting get suspended but this guy had a bad rap with all the teachers and my friend explained everything that happened so i got off without any trouble.*WHEW* anyways thats my story, this happened about a month ago and since then my friend has found a new boyfriend and no he isnt a thug, he is actually someone ive known for a while and i trust him to be a good guy.

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 11/01/04 06:07 PM

hey damai. i know how you feel... i too am in the 8th grade and got in a fight with a friend in the 2nd grade. he betrayed me one day by picking on the girl i liked so i pushed him... next thing i know a fist came at me and i ducked andgrabbed his foot and just sprang up hoping it would trip him. well it worked but the he called his friend and they had me on the ground. lets just say i had too much pride to call for help but when my sight was blinded by blood, i had to. next thing it was two on two. i won the fight but i wish that there had never been a fight because that led to me neing jumped, picked on, and laughed at. but since i have been in ckd, i have not gotten in a single fight...

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 12/02/04 12:44 PM

i have a dumb question, is any of that "fight" they do on 'power rangers' right? i mean is any of it accurate?
Posted by: TenteiKarite

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 05/05/05 07:29 PM

I am 15, and i never really watched Power Rangers, but i know how it feels to have people constantly challenge you. back in 3rd grade, I accidentally let slip that i was taking Tae Kwan Do, and every year after that i get some retard, who thinks he's bruce lee, trying to fight me. i've even moved to a different city, but one of them moved after me, and spread the word. it's not like I really have a choice to fight them, because they come after me in groups of 3. I try to walk away, they hit me, i try to tell an adult, but there are none around, I try to run again, and they hit me again. eventually, I say "screw this, they're asking for it" they all end up leaving me alone, and I have a peaceful time, until the next one... endless cycle, I swear. btw. i quit taking TKD about 4 years ago. I have learned from various styles, and have constructed my own, efficient style. I even had someone who, by chance, saw me take down a group, ask me to teach him. I declined the offer, because I'd probably end up getting the kid hurt, more than helping him. I am in no way a teacher.

well, thanks for listening to the ramblings of a hunted teen... gotta go, 4 guys are knocking on my door... here we go again.
Posted by: Inuyasha

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 05/05/05 07:42 PM

This story is a classic...
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 05/06/05 02:22 AM

Oh yes indeed! All great styles were born from 15yr olds who never took the time or had the dedication to stick with one style before becoming so consumed with themselves they JUST HAD to start their own useless style! Good grief child!!
Posted by: TenteiKarite

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 05/06/05 03:03 PM

Quote:

Oh yes indeed! All great styles were born from 15yr olds who never took the time or had the dedication to stick with one style before becoming so consumed with themselves they JUST HAD to start their own useless style! Good grief child!!

I have already explained that i have not skipped from style to style. i took a blend of styles for the majority of my life. I continue learning, and modifying what I use, thus I have my own personal style of fighting... which As I have already stated, so does everybody else.

if you still disagree with me, oh, well, it's not like I really had a choice in this matter anyway. My mother was running out of money, and I had to quit. i found a cheaper school, but it closed a little more than a month after I joined. I took what i did learn, picked the best and worst out of it, and blended it into my own unique fighting style.
Posted by: Inuyasha

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 05/06/05 11:37 PM

Its a good story.........

Don't hate..........
Posted by: Strider_Hanzo

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 05/27/05 08:00 PM

Awesome story.... I have a story involving my little sister. I used to always want a training partner but seeing as how i didn't know any MA practicioner who was my friend i used to get my little sister to practice with me. I basically taught her how to defend herself against people by play sparring with her. It taught me alot about human reactions and she picked up a couple of neat tricks. Anyway this went on for a couple of years really. Very informal training; i sometimes feel sorry for putting my little sister through such harsh training in order ot keep up par with me.... Anyway eventually she started growing up more and more and the training lessened until we only practiced lie one every month or so. Anyway one day she was in Middle School... i beieve she was in 6th grade. Anywho i was a freshman in high school then and junk. Anyway when i came home i had heard that my little sister had almost gotten sexually harrassed. My sister explained that three guys (two 6th graders and a 7th grader) were hassling her.... You know how it is with girls and boys developing and such... extreme hormones and perverted actions. Anyway this guy seemed to have a reputation for touching girls in places he shouldn't have. So one day he decided to pick on my sister... this guy had two other 6th grade friends grab her by each arm so the guy can touch her breasts.. Anyway something inside my little sister snapped and she (yelled, Kiaiied she doesn't remember) and yanked her arm off one guy and elbowed him in the solar plexus. The guy backed off and the other guy who was holding her let go our of fear. She then turned to the guy in front who was approaching her and parried the hand that was coming at her and punched and slapped the guy... she ended by kneeing him in the groin. Then she bolted to the nearest girl's bathroom to cry. She later learned that she had some change on her pants pocket that was on her knee. Then she heard that the guy had to be taken by ambulance because his nards were bleeding and they had to put a splint there. Anyway afterwards they asked the guy to tell them who had beaten him up in the worst way and him not wanting to be looked bad made up some fictious girl who was taller than he was and had spiked hair and all of this other bullplop. My sister was still a bit shaken but she had some pride that she was able to defend herself. I had pride in myself for having taught her the basic things she needed to know to defend herself. We still practice from time to time but i am always encouraging her to find an actual dojo and train there rather than learning from me. I mdae her try TKD but she didnt like it but she finally decided on Aikido... now we need the money for it. Anyway every time i remember this story i get a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 05/31/05 01:50 AM

Every sister should have you as a brother.

Too bad we lost an opportunity to street-test Shim Bun Do.

You have a young niece perhaps?
Posted by: Strider_Hanzo

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 06/07/05 07:12 PM

Actually i do but she is still too squirrely to be taught anything. Now i know why my TKD master dislikes teaching little kids. . Yeah Shim Bun Do should definitely be street tested, who would believe someone saying that "there was this little girl who beat me up using a newspaper!!! Oh it was horrible. I was glad when the newpaper had worn out to the funnies page, she started reading while i made my escape!"
Posted by: Pess

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 06/09/05 09:44 AM

Aiya, hope that doesn't happen to my sister. I train with my little sis too, but the style I take has a rather large emphasis on joint locking. So my sister knows quite a few joint locks, and quite a few ways to get out of them. The thing is, she has somewhat less...control shall we say of her power. And a joint lock isn't far away from a joint break >.<
Posted by: tao_majick

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 06/27/05 01:10 PM

What I learned from the power rangers was this...If you have multi-colored jumpsuites, you're bound to have huge dinosaur-esque mechs that can transform, a little robot named Alpha 5 who runs around saying "AYE YAYE YAYE ZORDON!!" , and you battle evil aliens hell bent on taking over the world...which means you'd have to be a good martial artist. So in short... Multicolored jumpsuites means you're a good martial artist. ^___^
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 07/16/05 03:00 PM

Quote:

What I learned from the power rangers was this...If you have multi-colored jumpsuites, you're bound to have huge dinosaur-esque mechs that can transform, a little robot named Alpha 5 who runs around saying "AYE YAYE YAYE ZORDON!!" , and you battle evil aliens hell bent on taking over the world...which means you'd have to be a good martial artist. So in short... Multicolored jumpsuites means you're a good martial artist. ^___^

damnright it does !!!
Posted by: pisces590

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 07/25/05 01:46 PM

hey everybody, i am an Orange w/Black stripe in American Karate. My name is Chris and i am 15 and i still watch Power Rangers to this day. i geuss that was what got me started in martial arts.
Posted by: pisces590

Re: A lesson from the Power Rangers - 07/26/05 04:07 PM

does anybody have some tips for me? I am training my 5yr old, soon to be 6yr old, nephew in karate. He is aggresive, but has a problem sticking with it and doing what he is told.