Kyudo workshop for beginners: 7/6-7/8, 2007

Posted by: harlan

Kyudo workshop for beginners: 7/6-7/8, 2007 - 04/26/07 11:55 AM

Came across this notice when researching kyudo at FA.com http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=393

Thinking of trying an upcoming workshop. Feedback would be appreciated:

http://www.karmecholing.org/registration.php?program_id=3484&action=view-program-details

Beginners' Kyudo-First Shot "Beginners"

July 6 - 8, 2007

With Kanjuro Shibata Sensei

Kyudo (Zen archery) is one of the oldest arts of the Japanese tradition of contemplative warriorship. It is meditation in action. The aim is not the target, but synchronization of awareness and body in the present moment.

During this weekend intensive, beginning students receive instruction in the basic form, shichido, or seven coordinations, of Kyudo. This precise form offers the student the opportunity to clean away obstacles to see the mind and qualities of the heart more clearly. The program culminates in first shot, opening the gate to further Kyudo instruction and deepening the practice.

There are no prerequisites. Beginners and all levels of practitioners welcome, regardless of age, gender, or physical strength. Children and teens are welcome, although the minimum age is nine. All necessary equipment will be provided. (We may be able to repair damaged equipment during the program.) Please bring comfortable clothing.

"One is not polishing one's shooting style or technique, but the mind." Kanjuro Shibata Sensei

About Kanjuro Shibata Sensei

Onyumishi Kanjuro Shibata is a 20th generation master bowmaker and archer and the 3rd generation Bowmaker to the Emperor of Japan (now retired). Born in Kyoto, Japan in 1921, Shibata Sensei began training in the Heki Ryu Bishu Chikurin-ha School of kyudo at the age of eight. In 1959, upon the death of his grandfather, Kanjuro XIX, he officially became Kanjuro Shibata XX and assumed his duties as Imperial Bowmaker. By the invitation of Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche, Kanjuro Shibata XX came to the United States in 1980 to teach kyudo and together with Trungpa Rinpoche, he founded Ryuko Kyudojo (Dragon-Tiger Kyudo Practice Hall) in Boulder, Colorado. Since then, Shibata Sensei has traveled extensively and established kyudojos throughout North America and Europe.

$275

edited to fix link
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Kyudo workshop for beginners: 7/6-7/8, 2007 - 05/02/07 10:39 PM

have never tried it. hopefully you'll give your impression...

Re: Kyudo workshop for beginners: 7/6-7/8, 2007 - 05/02/07 10:43 PM

It's a little steep in price for me. After posting at E-budo and here, got a few PM's from some folks who practice kyudo. Think I'll skip it. If I want to try out that line, then it is available right here in my own backyard (Hampshire College, Kyudo club).
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Kyudo workshop for beginners: 7/6-7/8, 2007 - 05/02/07 11:24 PM

I didn't know thay had that at HC. cool. have you found other side programs tucked away in other colleges in your area? I know there's a Shito-ryu program at one of them...

Re: Kyudo workshop for beginners: 7/6-7/8, 2007 - 05/03/07 07:06 AM

(derail)

No, but haven't been looking either. Run into a few koryu types now and then, that I like to keep tabs on (just in case), but have enough on my plate as a beginner right now.

I think that colleges are a pretty good place to dig around for clubs/connections. If you recall, Kodokan Goju in our area started at UMass.