preliminary plans for summer 2006

Posted by: Ed_Morris

preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/04/05 10:52 PM

I'm not taking vacation time from work this Christmas and saving it for the summer. The kids will be visiting family in Japan for July and August 2006, so that leaves me a free agent!

The first thing to come up is three things in Florida & GA...visit my sis in Athens,GA. visit to Sensei Scaglione's dojo in Cocoa Beach. Sensei Paul Hart's weekend seminar and visit JoelM for some ice cream?.

I'd also like to visit my forum friends and blood cousin in California. My cousin is the art director of Silicon Graphics in Mountain View. We haven't hooked up since we were teens.

who's got an open dojo this summer in Florida, Georgia and California for me to crash? I have to plan early.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/04/05 11:09 PM

Ed,

Silicon Valley is up north, but if you can stray a bit south, Torrance is welcome here. Crashing?

Well I have a one bedroom apartment. Sorry. But I know some cheap sleeps and if you can make it out here, you won't need a rental, at least in the evenings.

-B

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/04/05 11:22 PM

lol 'crashing'. sleeping at your dojo. you never did that?
ok well I'm not worried about plane/hotel/car...I'll take care of that. just asking who will be around and who would accept a MA geek for a day.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/04/05 11:26 PM

Quote:

sleeping at your dojo. you never did that?

Wife's never been that angry.

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/04/05 11:32 PM

lol...
btw, 'MA geek' meant 'Martialchusetts Geek'
Posted by: JoelM

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/04/05 11:33 PM

Sounds like you're in for a good summer, Ed.

July-August is a bit up in the air for myself. Looking at moving sometime in that timeframe but not exactly sure yet.

I will PM you with more details.
Posted by: Mu Ryuk

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/04/05 11:48 PM

Ed,

I live in California, a few hours from Mountain View. Keep me updated and I'm sure I can make the drive up to train with you, if you're interested.

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/05/05 12:02 AM

yes...the more the merrier. hopefully we'll hear from hedkikr and see what his summer plans are. this is the early stage of planning.

mods...can you move this thread to the 'Post your Event' folder. thanks.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/05/05 12:10 AM

Ed, how did you do that, get to enthusiast already?!? You're gonna pass me up AGAIN before too long!!!

Ok, seriously, I'd like to know what's going on with this, because I might be able to take some leave around that time, and could make this sort of a West Coast Get together. Who knows, maybe a few of you could take a long weekend and make the drive up to Lake Shasta. If a few of us rented houseboats, we could chill (sort of) for a couple days on the lake. It's beautiful in July-August.

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/05/05 12:37 AM

I'm not looking to sight see and go fishing gaddamit! I want to train, trade and learn from y'all.

seriously, I'm hoping to take a 2 week period from work and dojo/bar hop. I haven't drank in years, but I'm willing to toast to a honest day's training. I'm not expecting blood or broken noses to be involved...but shiit happens sometimes....we'll laugh it off and get back in there. besides, I can see lake Shasta from the plane while I'm chillin.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/05/05 12:59 AM

Any plans for visiting Arkansas?

Does anyone ever make plans to visit Arkansas?.......on purpose?

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/05/05 01:57 AM

well...there is the possibility that the plane might have an unscheduled stop. lol

not sure about funds and time...the priorities are: sister in GA and cousin in SF. I'll try to work something out now that I know you are interested in having an interior decorator consultant visit your crib.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/05/05 02:08 AM

Now that I know you'll be on Calif., I'll make plans to be in Australia
Posted by: JasonM

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/05/05 05:35 AM

hey hey..I do..But it was unfortunate that we couldn't stop and train Brian. It looks like we will be coming back for the new year.

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/05/05 01:45 PM

Actually, Ed, scratch my last post. If you're in town I'll be available. Don't know if I'll be training anywhere by then or still be on my own, but we can go to the park and put on a show for the locals if necessary.

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/05/05 04:08 PM

My clown gi with big red foot pads and round nose guard might attract some attention...is that ok?

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/05/05 11:44 PM

Nose guard? That can stay in the bag, I assure you that I'm nowhere near the skill level of Mr. Jansson
(no, Matt, you'll never live that one down)

I can't wait...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/05/05 11:51 PM

hey...how come you get to have the cool hair? lol
Posted by: harlan

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/06/05 09:38 AM

July/August...in...Georgia. Flashbacks of Ft. Benning...

{harlan faints}
Posted by: JasonM

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 12/06/05 11:08 AM

Quote:

July/August...in...Georgia. Flashbacks of Ft. Benning...

{harlan faints}

Woo-hoo : Air assault baby...:) lol

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 01/29/06 09:33 PM

Any change in plans, Ed?

Re: preliminary plans for summer 2006 - 01/30/06 12:40 AM

Family comes first, and my Dad's surviving brothers aren't getting any younger...I haven't seen them or my cousins in 20 years. I have 1 uncle in Vancouver, 1 uncle in Liverpool, Eng. and my sister, who I mentioned is in GA, but she'll be coming north to visit us in late spring.

The England trip has to wait till I can bring the kids...I really want them to go, so that will be next year since the kids will be in Japan all summer.

so it looks like it will be a west coast trip. Vancouver, California. then possibly Florida and/or Georgia for a day or two on the way back, if I'm not broke by then.

much of it depends what kind of tax refund check I'm looking at this year...last summer, Bush paid for the Japan tickets. ...although, I probably dropped an equal amount into the kid's 'public' school to help make up for the compounded shortfalls year after year.

I'm rambling again...must be getting senile.